IGNORED

Xenephobe 2 player

Mountain King

Sorry for misinforming you then ;-) , I haven't played Xenophobe except on the Midway Arcade Treasures compilation

And just wondering, would you recommend it as a single player game? I've wanted to own it for some time although somehow it seems as though one takes minimal damage while crouching? Nuances of the sort often lead me to abusing them :D

Edited by Ataricade

And just wondering, would you recommend it as a single player game? I've wanted to own it for some time although somehow it seems as though one takes minimal damage while crouching? Nuances of the sort often lead me to abusing them :D

I honestly got it just to fill a gap in my collection, but it's not too bad. I find it pretty hard, though. Grenades almost always go to waste since you throw them by crouching and pressing fire...which is a problem since you have to crouch to shoot most enemies anyway. And attacks from the "adult" aliens do inordinate amounts of damage. Plus (actually "minus") if you shoot the "adolescent" aliens from behind, they roll up into an invincible ball (which is a good time to have a grenade) and force you to wait until they sort of come back out. That said, it doesn't look too bad for a 2600 game, the controls are responsive, the weapon upgrades are effective, and it provides a late '80s action-adventure style of game not commonly found on the 2600.

(Since the game sacrificed simultaneous 2-player modes anyway, I would have liked to see a bigger game screen with more detailed backgrounds and sprites.)