IGNORED

I own a prototype of Crackpots. Is it worth anything?

abrondino

I own a prototype of Crackpots. Is it worth anything?

I found it at a flea market about 20 years ago. Not sure if this is something worth grabbing a dump of data from or not. Can anyone help?

Probably going to eBay it if no interest from this group.

Picture attached.

post-34351-0-76888400-1369134864_thumb.jpg

I read your title wrong and thought it said "I own a prototype crackpipe" :rolling:

I thought the guy that wanted money for a girls bike and money for the old guy down the street was back.

• Like 8

As mint an Activision prototype of a released game could get a price between US$90-US$150, higher if the game is rare, hard thing as Activision titles are pretty extended.

I would suggest US$80 for this one.

Check this old thread http://atariage.com/forums/topic/200224-activision-prototype-cart-river-raid/

It's just the game product code. I hate to break this to you, but Activision prototypes are really nothing special as 99% of the time they're the final version. Activision really kept a tight hold on their WIP copies.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think I'm going to ebay this puppy. No need for me to keep it. I was hoping it had different content

Yeah, content wise, it is most likely identical to the final release.

But if it weighs more then a regular Activision cartridge, then I might be interested in buying it from you. Heck, the label looks completely wrecked anyhow in your picture, 2 more holes in it won't make much of a difference to the already poor condition, so why not pop those two screw holes and open the cartridge up and see if it has a regular rom board inside or a heavier eprom board?

Well, most of the older Atari cartridges did have metal shields attached to the boards to lessen interference and such, and they obviously make a cartridge heavier, however the Fishing Derby cartridge you used in your video would have that shield inside and is reflected in the weight.

I would be willing to take the gamble as is for maybe $30. But if you confirm it is an EPROM board by opening it, I would go $50. However, if you open it, and it is a regular rom board, I have no offer, sorry :(

I don't think there is any question. It's an Activision Proto. They are fairly common as protos go, but do have some value. The label is in horrible shape, which brings the $ down a little.

Yes, there is no question as to whether or not it is a proto (or a review copy) of the game. The debate at this point is just whether or not the board inside is a regular rom board with a rom soldered in, or an eprom board with the hex inverter and eprom soldered in.

• 1 month later...

They have EPROMS inside the ones that I have.

Here is a pic of the board from one if my activision Protos. I have the same style Protos and would have no reason to believe otherwise.

image.jpg

Did you get that one from me? I used to have one just like that.