IGNORED

Is there a device to switch between 2600 paddles and joysticks?

abrondino

Is there a device to switch between 2600 paddles and joysticks?

I have mounted a color TV inside an arcade machine and am creating a custom control panel. I'd like to have both the paddles and joystics. I need to see if there is a commercial switch already available.

Other work accomplished:

I designed a marquee for my Atari 2600 cabinet but wanted to create it with a faux stained glass technique.

The method to create faux stained glass is quite cool and easier than you would expect. Quite the same effect as regular stained glass: http://suzyssitcom.com/2011/01/feature-friday-faux-stained-glass.html

I have attached the "Faux Stained Glass Marquee" test in the attached pictures from the one I created with Photoshop on paper. I will have to install it in the cabinet to see what it looks like with a light behind it before I am completely sold. I think I may have to retrace the lighter black lines with a darker color too.

But, back to the question of the controller. Is there a device to switch between 2600 paddles and joysticks?

-Dino

post-34351-0-03120800-1369135496_thumb.jpg

post-34351-0-61991700-1369135522_thumb.jpg

Paddle uses the same 2 line that joystick, left and right. However you could probably wire both without a switch without any problem provided user knows the fire button for paddle and fire button for joystick isn't the same.

https://atariage.com/2600/archives/schematics/Schematic_2600_Accessories_Low.html shows schematics for joystick and paddle.

If you want a switch, you could use a DPDT switch to toggle between paddle buttons and joystick left/right.

They still sell joystick / mouse auto-switches for some older computers.

I think they "sense" a button click to switch devices..

I'm pretty sure Amigakit still sells them.

No idea if they would work for joystick/paddle tho? Don't have one..

desiv

Paddles and Joystick can be connected simultaneously without issue. I actually added paddle pots to my custom Atari joystick. 500k pots will have a wider range of movement than the stock 1m pots as well. If you decide to wire pots and joystick simultaneously, it may be a good idea to use a cutoff switch to disconnect the two paddle lines. The vast majority of joystick games will not care if a set of paddles is simultaneously plugged in, however a very tiny percentage of retail games, as well as some homebrews, may actually read the paddle inputs to detect their presence or add an alternate control scheme. For instance, the Harmony cart uses an alternate control scheme for paddle controllers, and other homebrews may too, so it's a good idea to add a DPST switch to disconnect the paddle lines when they're not in use. Genesis gamepad compatible homebrew games that utilize an extra fire button also check the paddle lines, an will not operate properly with paddles attached.

One bit of wierdness is that the right paddle uses the left joystick input and visa-versa. I have no idea why Atari set it up this way, but it's useful to remember this when building your rig.

I believe that I will have to go the route of Joysticck/mouse auto-switch or a DPDT switch to toggle between paddle buttons and joystick due to the fact I am using a Harmony cart to keep the experience as close to Atari as possible.

And part of the struggle is creating a joystick that is traditional and yet fixed to the arcade cabinet.

I may even cannibalize or mod a Serial Port switch. Still thinking this through.

-Dino

This could be done using a project box, 2 male db9, 1 female db9, a dpdt switch and some wire. The ground wire that goes to the joystick and paddle would goto the switch. One way on the switch ground would go joystick the other paddle. With ground cut off to the joystick it would not interfere with the operation of the paddle and vice versa. Also on the other pole of the switch you would run the 5v line to the paddle so when you have the switch set to paddle it runs 5v to the paddle and when set to joystick it connects to nothing. The rest of the wires go to their corresponding pins. See the figure I made.

post-24973-0-39930200-1369243154_thumb.png

• 5 years later...

I think somebody else was saying this, but the only thing you should need to do to allow the Harmony to detect joystick vs paddle is to disconnect/connect pins 5 and 9 (paddle lines).

Other than that you should be able to connect all pins of both controllers to the controller port at the same time.

Construction of a Y cable or similar to allow simultaneous connection is not an extremely difficult task.

If it's imperative to prevent any input from the "other" controller, a mechanical switch box should do the job. I've picked up 25 pin switch boxes at thrift stores that switch all pins.

Edited by BigO

I wonder if it may be possible to use the auto switchers. The key thing to find out is what signal drives the auto switching. If it's just, say, 5 volts on one pin, you could feed it that signal with a simple switch...manually switching the autoswitcher. You would also need to know which pins actually switch. It might not switch all of the pins.

Edited by BigO

• 2 weeks later...