IGNORED

Princess Rescue Now Available!

Albert

I can tell you that SEGA is more crazy about this. I had to remove several videos from my YouTube Channel, because of the copyright infringement stuff. So changing the game at an early stage like this would be a better choice IMO.

That's interesting. I'll have to check with some of the people I know who've had contact with Sega about certain endeavors, and they basically said "meh, we don't care, just do it, but if people cry about it, we'll have to take some sort of action". This was Sega USA, not Sega Japan, however.

That's interesting. I'll have to check with some of the people I know who've had contact with Sega about certain endeavors, and they basically said "meh, we don't care, just do it, but if people cry about it, we'll have to take some sort of action". This was Sega USA, not Sega Japan, however.

It was a general Sega action earlier this year to trouble lots of Youtubers. They pretty much seemed to want all Sega videos taken down, and lots of videos disappeared. Of course it's impossible to get them all away, and maybe they stopped their anti-video campaign since, but it caused a bit of heat.

Sega Japan are most likely dicks (always were), and US and European (RIP) branches have to do what Japan says when they get a bright idea like wanting YouTube vids gone.

This is really sad to see. Sprybug created a brilliant game which we all knew (except one clown apparently) was a tribute to SMB and was never meant to be anything else but. I'm glad the music and graphics were left as they were, even if it meant having it pulled. Sprybug pulled off a marvel on our beloved 2600 and I'm so happy I can relive my childhood thinking "what if" this had been released back in the day. I throughly enjoy the game and hope he continues creating great titles in the future!

I like magazines such as MAD and Cracked and they parody all kinds of copyrights regularly - that's their bread and butter. Why doesn't this fall in the same category? Both magazines make profit from parody and they have done so for decades.

Really... like any sales from this would detract from Nintendo's bottom line. I will cease spending any further money on Nintendo products in the future unless they reverse their stance on this.

-Trem

• Like 2

There's a difference between parody and a clone/demake/tribute/whatever you like to call it. Ask a lawyer for the exact conditions, but a parody is usually a comical work based on something. It tries to make a statement about the original work.

Princess Rescue is not a parody, it is just a scaled down version of SMB. There is no critical aspect relating to the original author's work to it, it is just a game that exists to show how SMB could be done on inferior hardware, as close as possible.

it's a cover game I would say played on different system but none of the orignal characters used.

and as mentioned none of characters are mentioned in manual or box plus it does say none of the orignal was taken.

even the name is different.

it's a cover game end of story, and music singers have been doing cover for ages

This is really sad to see. Sprybug created a brilliant game which we all knew (except one clown apparently) was a tribute to SMB and was never meant to be anything else but. I'm glad the music and graphics were left as they were, even if it meant having it pulled. Sprybug pulled off a marvel on our beloved 2600 and I'm so happy I can relive my childhood thinking "what if" this had been released back in the day. I throughly enjoy the game and hope he continues creating great titles in the future!

I like magazines such as MAD and Cracked and they parody all kinds of copyrights regularly - that's their bread and butter. Why doesn't this fall in the same category? Both magazines make profit from parody and they have done so for decades.

Cracked got slapped with a C&D from Lucasfilm in the late 70's, because they kept doing parodies of Star Wars. Even though they used parodies of the characters (Luck Skystalker, etc.), they had crossed a line since they were no longer parodying Star Wars specifically, but making new stories. Basically, they were making their own sequels. So even there, there are limits of what constitutes "fair use".

so what are graphical and game-play hacks of original games go under parody or homage?

Homage if you want, but "homage" doesn't have any formal legal definition the way "parody" does, nor does "homage" have any legal protections.

The sad fact is major parts of AtariAge could be legally shut down if the Powers That Be decided to make it so. Fortunately the current company known as Atari seems to have realized they can make more fans (and money) when they let certain things slide.

I am a Communist actually but this is not the place of political discussions.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was referencing the cold war era in the United States where the public was literally afraid of communists, it even went so far as "witch hunt" style accusations where uttering the word in reference to a particular individual would ruin their career. In principal, communism does have some good ideas, but due to the laziness and selfishness of individuals, the system usually falls apart. Bees and Ants are mother nature's perfect model for communists. Every member works so hard to place the survival of the queen and hive above itself. In humanity, that level of loyalty is rare. Pure capitalism isn't exactly a perfect solution either as certain government regulation is necessary to limit corruption, maintain a healthy middle class, care for the sick and poor, etc.

• Like 1

Ebay prices are only going to go up with this announcement, sadly. Or is the sale of this now against ebay's TOS?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but if slapping a "Cloak and Dagger" label on a 5200 Galaxian cart and selling it as a one of a kind movie prop isn't against their TOS then Princess Rescue certainly isn't.

It was a general Sega action earlier this year to trouble lots of Youtubers. They pretty much seemed to want all Sega videos taken down, and lots of videos disappeared. Of course it's impossible to get them all away, and maybe they stopped their anti-video campaign since, but it caused a bit of heat.

Sega Japan are most likely dicks (always were), and US and European (RIP) branches have to do what Japan says when they get a bright idea like wanting YouTube vids gone.

Thanks for the info. One would think that Sega Japan would be happy people are still interested in their product, and not pull these tactics to make people start to think otherwise.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but if slapping a "Cloak and Dagger" label on a 5200 Galaxian cart and selling it as a one of a kind movie prop isn't against their TOS then Princess Rescue certainly isn't.

Um, the cloak and Daggar 5200 cart was a real movie prop from a movie that had a prior licensing agreement with Atari. It's an official piece of Atari/Hollywood memorabilia, and assuming it is authentic, there would be no problems selling it on eBay. Princess Rescue is an unofficial homebrew which has now been banned by Nintendo, although eBay generally allows homebrew games while prohibiting repros. Probably a legal gray area like a lot of other stuff.

Then again, Tengen Tetris was pulled from the market due to copyright violations (The Supreme court ruled that Tengen did not have the right to produce "Tetris" but Nintendo did) but since X copies of the game were legally sold and distributed distributed through official channels prior to the game getting banned, secondhand copies of said game can still be legally sold on eBay or through secondhand stores or private sales.

Edited by stardust4ever

Um, the cloak and Daggar 5200 cart was a real movie prop from a movie that had a prior licensing agreement with Atari. It's an official piece of Atari/Hollywood memorabilia, and assuming it is authentic, there would be no problems selling it on eBay.

In this particular case, it's clear that the Cloak & Dagger cart on eBay recently was just someone trying to make a quick buck, and not a legitimate movie prop at all (not even representative of the cart seen in the movie). If it was legitimate, there'd be no problems selling it.

..al

Um, the cloak and Daggar 5200 cart was a real movie prop from a movie that had a prior licensing agreement with Atari. It's an official piece of Atari/Hollywood memorabilia, and assuming it is authentic, there would be no problems selling it on eBay.

It was not authentic. It was a fake. Someone printed their own label, slapped it on a cart and tried to pass it off as an authentic movie prop.

Edited by Brian R.

:_(

I'm reading all this now for the first time.

Many thanks to Sprybug and Al. You both are great! :thumbsup:

PR is awesome!

I believe we can build a better future for gaming with men like you.

Talent, creativity and passion will bring good things.

Links with good ideas (yes, future can be way better):

http://opengameart.org/

http://www.fsf.org/

• Like 1

I guess the carts could be repurposed for another game.

How do you think all the game carts in the store came to be? The sad part is all the time and money spent on PCB boards and labels. The EPROMs could be desoldered but desoldering chips is a royal PITA. Would be better to sit on the stock for a while until the issue cools off, then slowly recoup losses by selling them underground after the collector prices skyrocket. Rumor has it that a large portion of the unsold stock of Tengen Tetris got leaked into flea markets, etc...

Edited by stardust4ever