IGNORED

Princess Rescue Now Available!

Albert

How much for a mold? Cant we just make em like pottery molds? Cant a machine shop make one outa steel.. I guess I really dont understand the elusive 10k. Its a cartridge. simple shape and design..

Nice try. Ceramic uses plaster molds. The ceramic will shrink as it dries and then shrink again when it's fired. The exact formulation of the clay and the amount of water content will determine the amount of shrinkage. So while it's perfect for making vessels and sculptures and things, any device that needs sub-millimeter precision cannot be made out of ceramic. Also, the ceramic surface is highly abrasive and would wear out your cartridge slot. And if you're going to machine the parts out of metal, you might as well just put that money towards an injection mold. The Star Castle carts were made using homemade molds and clear epoxy, but it took the guy nearly a year of intense labor to produce all the carts. That stuff takes a long time to cure.

Chris or Al,

Do either of you have any plans right now of a second batch of boxed copies to go into production. By the time I was ready to order this very special game, the boxed copies were unfortunately sold out :(. And I can't stand buying any video game of any sort without the official box/case. I just won't bother anymore. I've bought two 2600 homebrew games within the last year and a half, and neither had the box, and I just wasn't fully satisfied. Oh, and until then...can't wait for the full ROM release! I found this game so special and impressive, that I had to show the demo to my wife, who likes video games a great deal. But she is far from being as impressed and geeked about this wonerous piece of artistic amazement as I am. This thing is right up there with Halo 2600 to me, which is saying a lot. Can't wait to see what Chris does with his "Sonic" game!

Here is a 3D printed Channel F cartridge, in case you missed this post. Only $79. I don't know if it is "powdery"?

http://atariage.com/...25#entry2774079

I finished my 3D-models of the cartridge shells, uploaded them to Shapeways for viewing. I think they are pretty accurate even if some manufacturing specific details (that doesn't show on the outside) aren't there (but I'll probably add them just because I noticed it).

Don't have the cirka $110 to make prinouts right now, I'm trying to locate a cheaper manufacturer that has good enough quality, Perhaps they also have 3D-printers in China and not just injection molding. ;-)

My first goal is to have one made in black, hopefully it will be possible to offer newly made shells to future Multi-Cart buyers. Boxes come first though - as soon as the last cart in the batch is sold...

http://www.shapeways...rch?q=videocart

It appears my estimate of $100 was not far off the mark... :ponder: Edited by stardust4ever

3D printing goes a lot by volume, an Atari cart should be about half or less and can probably look decent with a cheaper method. I had a VirtualBoy cart shell made as well with this cheaper method (thin melted plastic strings in layers) and the shell is rather decent. Negative shapes should be avoided though, making two parts like this VIC-20 shell is a smart way to avoid using support structures:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:69261

Very similar to my VirtualBoy cart print (although mine was a bit sloppier).

3D printing goes a lot by volume, an Atari cart should be about half or less and can probably look decent with a cheaper method. I had a VirtualBoy cart shell made as well with this cheaper method (thin melted plastic strings in layers) and the shell is rather decent. Negative shapes should be avoided though, making two parts like this VIC-20 shell is a smart way to avoid using support structures:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:69261

Very similar to my VirtualBoy cart print (although mine was a bit sloppier).

With SLS nylon, the loose unbonded powder is the support structure, so any shape imaginable (hollow or solid) can be built. Obviously, you would need a two part shell anyway, otherwise there would be no way to insert the PCB board inside it. I believe the minimum thickness would be 1mm. 2mm would make a sturdier cart, but 1mm should be possible to reduce cost, but it would feel flimsy. The key prongs would definitely need to be thicker though.

I meant each cart half is made in two parts (in total four parts) as it's in the non-powdery-plastic extrusion type of 3D print it's not possible to build these negative shapes without support structure. It's a method to get past it.

BTW, no need to quote the whole post when it's right above yours.

Here's a big stack of Princess Rescue manuals I printed yesterday. Now they just need to be cut, collated, folded and stapled. :)

After the cartridge shell Kickstarter, maybe you can have a Kickstarter for a machine that can cut, collate, fold and staple manuals for you.

Didn't the Star Caste Kickstarter project use its own mold? I suppose one could profit from the experience and maybe get the used mold, too.

Yes, but he used a mold for resin casting, which is different kind of mold than an injection mold. Then Scott had to do some additional machining on the cast parts to finish them up.

While it met Scott's goals for his project, for Al's needs I don't think it's a win over recycling common carts.

My suggestion for AtariAge members to donate parts printed on their 3D printers was a fail because:

A. More expensive per unit.

B. The rare people who do have 3D printers aren't hardcore enough to use acetone vapor methods to finish carts. That stuff is nasty!

Well, there is R.T.s idea of a kickstarter..

While it met Scott's goals for his project, for Al's needs I don't think it's a win over recycling common carts.

Luckily, there is a third option:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/212554-princess-rescue-now-available/page__st__300#entry2790427

I have been to quite a few flea markets lately and I notice for 7800 commons guys are wanting 4 and 5 dollars for games like Pole Position 2 . I talked to one guy and he told me he hoards 7800 carts and has over 800 of them and will not sell any for less than 5 dollars . Carts are getting harder and harder to find for a cheap price in my opinion . 2600 and 5200 carts are even hard to find for cheap . I would hope something can happen soon .

Yup. The only gotcha there is to come up with some kind of reward that will have enough mass appeal. We won't make a 10k goal with just our community.

Princess Rescue would have been good as would have Halo. 10k isn't a huge amount but it is big. If a partner would get involved like PackRat and / or Good Deal it would help also assuming they don't all hate each other.

What happened to the guy who used to make translucent carts? I know he no longer does it but how did he do it and where are his molds?