IGNORED

Princess Rescue Now Available!

Albert

I have used S-Video when I had a laser disc player. The difference was minimal and indistinguishable during most content. It mostly made credits and subtitles look better since some devices let the pixels jump a bit when they roll. The Atari with composite doesn't seem to have that problem though.

That was with an SD television though. The difference on an HD set upscaling could be more dramatic. I haven't seen test results with jpg comparisons. Most people just say it's better. I can give comparison photos of the S-Video being worse but I think my set up is an anomaly. S-Video shouldn't be worse even if it isn't better.

edit - Found this link. On the Super Nintendo S-Video is better. It depends on the device I suppose. Maybe my LD player was better at composite than most devices and maybe the quality coming from the Atari isn't really going to improve beyond what composite can offer.

i am a huge fan of laserdiscs. problem with using laserdiscs as an example is they didnt improve the quality of most laserdiscs (discs themselves) until about 2000. jurassic park (the special edition?? forget what it is really called) and star wars - the phantom menace were two excellent quality laserdiscs. Edited by pimpmaul69

I have used S-Video when I had a laser disc player. The difference was minimal and indistinguishable during most content.

S-video only helps with content that has distinct luma and chroma signals. Laser discs are composite, which means the luma and chroma are combined into a single signal on the disc.

When your TV receives a composite signal, it it must separate out the luma and chroma signals. It does that by using a comb filter. Any laser disc player that has an S-video socket must have a built in comb filter to split the signal. If the laser disc's comb filter is better than the TV's then you'll get a better picture via s-video. If the TV has a better comb filter then you'll get a better picure via composite. Odds are they're very similar in quality, so you won't notice a difference.

On the Super Nintendo S-Video is better.
+1.

My SNES produced vibrant square pixels on my 2006 Sanyo HDTV set using S-video. It looked even better than Wii Virtual Console.

NTSC colorimetry was "restandardized" in 1987 (ironically, to stick with the defined standard of 1953, which was modified in the late 60's to ensure a better color rendition; with the progress in electronics, this modification was reverted) so most, if not all Atari 2600 use the "SMPTE C" color scheme; TV made after this date are supposed to recognize a SMPTE C signal from the standard SMPTE signal, but I guess that because it's rather old, your happauge card does recognize only the more recent SMPTE signal.

Could you provide a more technical explaination of what the difference is between the SMPTE standard that causes the Atari not to work, when everything else does? I googled SMPTE and found no references to SMPTE-C and all I got was info about some kind of time stamp format for broadcasting. I was under the impression that consoles don't need to broadcast timestamps. And yes, I understand about the divide by 1.001 framerate BS but the NES is not exactly 59.94 frames either and displays fine. Edited by stardust4ever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#SMPTE_C

It's just values of the color that changes. I'm just suggesting that the signal form the Atari might not be correct enough for your card to catch up.

That's something I see, I might be totally wrong (but it still can explain some color shifting on recent monitors, especially with A/V mods)

• 3 weeks later...

I've added 25 boxed copies of Princess Rescue to the store:

Princess Rescue - Boxed

50 boxed copies will also be available at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. I'm going to make 25 boxes available to those who previously purchased "loose" (cart and manual) copies of the game. If you're interested in a box, please send me a PM. The boxes are be $20 plus $3 shipping in the US. Outside the US I'll need to calculate shipping on a case-by-case basis. Included with the box is the box insert to hold the cartridge in place (and add additional strength to the box).

Also available are Blinky Goes Up (2600), Armor Attack II (7800), Crazy Otto (7800), and Full Circle: Rocketeer (Jaguar).

..Al

Ooh, I got to open a package today!

Hey, Albert, I found it a teensy bit ironic that Princess Rescue's box talks about how a Genesis controller can be used for 2-button play, and then I also get a magnet that says, "Real games only need one button." :)

By the way, don't try to connect a 6-button Genesis controller to an Atari. I don't know if that's been mentioned before, but my 2600 did not like it one bit.

Hey, Albert, I found it a teensy bit ironic that Princess Rescue's box talks about how a Genesis controller can be used for 2-button play, and then I also get a magnet that says, "Real games only need one button." :)

Ha, that's funny. I'll have to include those with Space Rocks, also. :)

..Al

By the way, don't try to connect a 6-button Genesis controller to an Atari. I don't know if that's been mentioned before, but my 2600 did not like it one bit.

get another board version controller

I discovered that myself when I bought some 3rd party Genesis 6 button controllers and they didn't work at all on the Atari (but just fine with a genesis). So I went to a gaming shop and they had some original Genesis controllers. Bought one and it worked completely (had to clean up the pads on the inside though). This is why in the manual I added the fact that not all Genesis controllers are created equal after going through this experience myself.

• Like 1

I discovered that myself when I bought some 3rd party Genesis 6 button controllers and they didn't work at all on the Atari (but just fine with a genesis). So I went to a gaming shop and they had some original Genesis controllers. Bought one and it worked completely (had to clean up the pads on the inside though). This is why in the manual I added the fact that not all Genesis controllers are created equal after going through this experience myself.

Interesting. It actually was a third-party Genesis 6-buttoner I tried. All my 3-buttoners are in storage at the moment, but I think I have a first-party 6-buttoner in the house somewhere. I'll give that a shot. Makes me wonder what's really so different about them.

By the way, pardon me if you went over this already, but can I ask why you decided to map jump to the fire button and fireball/speed to "up" on single-button controllers? After years of playing games like Kangaroo and Moon Patrol on the 2600, I'm used to the exact opposite.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Got mine yesterday...I'm so blown away by how a game like this could be done on the vcs. The jumping seems a little wonky at times but otherwise it literally is perfection. I love the music...gets the original in there but undeniably 2600 sounding.

If you haven't bought this game yet BUY A COPY!

One question I do have and this might have been covered, but why is the "b" beginner setting three lives and the "a" advanced five lives? Seems like it's backwards?