IGNORED

Princess Rescue Now Available!

Albert

Hey Guys, IGN did a video review of the game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObD4pPOFszw

I disagree with, "...this isn't really meant to be played for fun..."

Why would you say that?

And then say that this is the best gameplay on the 2600!

I won't go all geek over their loose facts, they are just talking.

Like designed in 1975, 1976. Released in 1977. And it WAS all that by 1981, 1982.

I disagree with, "...this isn't really meant to be played for fun..."

Why would you say that?

And then say that this is the best gameplay on the 2600!

I won't go all geek over their loose facts, they are just talking.

Like designed in 1975, 1976. Released in 1977. And it WAS all that by 1981, 1982.

Yeah, I noticed that too, but overall they had nothing but good things to say about it, so I was happy. XD

I am in a debate though right now with one of the commenters there that makes it sound like any idiot can make a game like that on the Atari and that my port sucks.

• Like 1

Hey Guys, IGN did a video review of the game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObD4pPOFszw

Congratulations Chris, i find some of IGN's work questionable but there is no doubting their size and this is a great achievement, I love how the guy on the right basically locks up when he has to load the cartridge and holds the joystick like a drunk with a new born ha ha he must be a gamer...........Excellent wotk though Chris i cant wait to see what you produce next

I noticed your replies. He seems like a stupid troll not worth your attention.

Yeah, I did have that in the back of my mind after my last response. This may be a troll in action. This is something that he can't do but thinks anyone can. Shows how much he really knows. Not worth the time. He hasn't commented back so hopefully that's the last we'll hear from him.

• Like 1

Uh-oh, may have a weird very rare bug that may not happen to some of you. It's not major though and it seems dependent on different Atari systems. I was first made aware of this bug by Iesposta, when he played it on one system but it didn't happen on another system of his (or something like that). In the boss fight on 1-4, BJ might accidentally jump through the wall causing you not to be able to finish the battle. But when you move to the right the screen starts to scroll and will stop halfway. I thought this only happened to Iesposta, but when I showed my dad my game on my portable it happened to me too for the very first time ever! In the hundreds of times I played the game, this never happened before, nor was it reported by any of my beta testers at the time, which is why it was released with this going on. There's a good chance that this might never happen to you, however if it does, there's a way around it! When I was showing my dad and it happened, I tried a few things to see if I could get out of it. At one point I just had Mario hang out at the far left of the screen and he instantly died, causing it to restart again at the boss fight like normal minus one life of course (which didn't glitch again after that). If this came up during development, I would have fixed it. But as I said you may play this hundreds of times and never have it happen to you. Of course now that I mention this, I bet some of you guys out there are now going to try to find this Easter egg of sorts. I guess it's kind of like the mystery lands glitch of Halo 2600 if you know where to look for it.

• Like 2

P.S. This is a real pickle for me.

After Atari and Colecovision, my interest in video gaming waned. I never got the Nintendo/NES/SNES bug, and never really liked Super Mario Bros.

So here I am, a devout Atarian, foresaking all Nintendo... presented with an Atari version of a signature Nintendo game.

What the heck do I do?

Will my joy of playing Atari overcome my aversion for Nintendo? Or will I not like playing it like I would the real deal?

... my head just might explode..

Don't worry too much. I had some bugs in my first game Thrust too.

But you should fix it and give Al a new ROM.

You're right I should. A big problem with fixing it though is duplicating it so I can find out what's going on. It's very rare and it'd be hard to know if I really fixed it or not. I kind of have an idea why it might be happening but I can't be sure.

• Like 1

P.S. This is a real pickle for me.

After Atari and Colecovision, my interest in video gaming waned. I never got the Nintendo/NES/SNES bug, and never really liked Super Mario Bros.

So here I am, a devout Atarian, foresaking all Nintendo... presented with an Atari version of a signature Nintendo game.

What the heck do I do?

Will my joy of playing Atari overcome my aversion for Nintendo? Or will I not like playing it like I would the real deal?

... my head just might explode..

I was the same way when all the consoles decided to go 3D in the mid 90's, however that changed for me when I bought the 3DS (my first new console since the SNES). Very happy with that decision. I love Nintendo's game designs. Cartoony, fun, challenging but not overly difficult.

• Like 1

You have no idea how many times I looked at Gameboys, tried to talk myself into buying one, told myself I would, but never have.

Closest I ever got was the Gameboy Advance SP. I thought the clamshell design made sense. But I just have never been drawn to Nintendo games. They don't pull at me like Atari does. Sega did - I had and have a Genesis, and a Dreamcast - Sega to me has the same "vibe" as Atari for some reason.

I never owned a 5200 or 7800 back in their time, but I can enjoy them today. When I came upon an NES, I kept it for a while but in the end gave it away to someone who needed it for a child with issues who couldn't handle anything more complex.

Edited by Brian R.

Of course now that I mention this, I bet some of you guys out there are now going to try to find this Easter egg of sorts. I guess it's kind of like the mystery lands glitch of Halo 2600 if you know where to look for it.

So what you're saying is, this is the first step to reaching World -1?

Um, how do I find the "mystery lands" in Halo 2600? This has got me intrigued.

Also, a rare glitch isn't always a deal breaker. When people figure out how to do it, it is fun to try and duplicate.

For instance, the minus world in Super Mario Brothers, or killing yourself on the axe when you defeat Bowser. (Mario still "dies" but advances to the next level or saves the princess despite going AWOL).

Edited by stardust4ever

Also, a rare glitch isn't always a deal breaker. When people figure out how to do it, it is fun to try and duplicate.

For instance, the minus world in Super Mario Brothers, or killing yourself on the axe when you defeat Bowser. (Mario still "dies" but advances to the next level or saves the princess despite going AWOL).

I remember when I found that by total accident with the axe. I remember showing everyone I knew that trick back in the 80's.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, the Mystery lands. Actually I think Ed Fries called it Magical Lands, inspired by his son when he came across the bug. He talked about it briefly on the programming for vintage consoles panel I was on at last year's PRGE. He was going to fix it originally but decided to leave it in as an Easter egg. If you walk into a wall at the right time just before it's supposed to switch screens, or something like that ( don't exactly remember ), you can accidentally slip into it. When you go there, the screen is basically filled with playfield blocks provided by ROM code for a random looking made room, because the program is then pointing to a memory page that it wasn't intended on doing.

• Like 1