IGNORED

Princess Rescue Now Available!

Albert

Holy crap, ouch! I've got a sealed Princess rescue on my shelf that I'm never, ever opening now! Don't worry though; I have a loose copy for playing and actually beat it for the first time a few weeks back... ;)

I've never owned a mint condition collectable before. Anybody recommend a good acrylic case that fits AA homebrew boxes? They seem slightly larger than NES boxes by a couple mm so NES acrylic protectors won't work. I know VGA won't grade homebrew releases otherwise I'd get it graded.

You can't tell if it's been opened or not. There is no seal or tape that once broken shows it's been opened. The "seal" is like post-it tape and can be opened and re-closed.

Edited by Brian R.

You can't tell if it's been opened or not. There is no seal or tape that once broken shows it's been opened. The "seal" is like post-it tape and can be opened and re-closed.

That is not true; it is possible to detect tampering. Peeling back the sticker will likely wrinkle the plastic bag as the material can and will stretch and wrinkle easily. Even if it is possible to peel back the sticker and reapply it, the adhesive will be compromised as well and there will likely be edge/corner damage wherever the user picked underneath it to peel it off. Also the sticker has an AA watermark on it which would make it a hassle to duplicate.

While it is true that VGA does not grade new "homebrew" releases, I don't exactly trust them or support what they do either. I just ordered an acrylic 2600 display case to protect my PR from damage. I normally buy games to play rather than collect, and almost never collect mint items, but this homebrew is special to me so I made an exception by buying the loose cart and preordering the CIB. Now that it's been discontinued, I want to protect it. I do not plan on selling it; I just want to preserve it as a keep sake. After all, I can still game on my functioning loose cart whenever I want. If I can only have one single minty "rare" item in my collection, this is it. And I am a HUGE Mario fan. Just look at my avatar ;)

• 1 month later...

Since I'm so late to the homebrew scene... Is there any way, some how, that i can get a copy of PR without resorting to crazy ebay markups? Could I get one for free and pay 50-60 bucks for shipping so that no one makes a profit from the actual sale of the game (God forbid)

I'd even take Sprybug out for dinner and drinks next time I'm in Portland. (I'll be up there for a few days in February)

Edited by dubxcube

Pretty sure it's still possible to get a copy of PR on cartridge. Just not on AtariAge. I wouldn't even ask here, to be honest.

Personally, I'd be happy playing it on Harmony, if I still had a TV that worked with a 2600.

Sensitive subject I guess.... Well I'll keep digging thru other channels.

Since I'm so late to the homebrew scene... Is there any way, some how, that i can get a copy of PR without resorting to crazy ebay markups? Could I get one for free and pay 50-60 bucks for shipping so that no one makes a profit from the actual sale of the game (God forbid)

I'd even take Sprybug out for dinner and drinks next time I'm in Portland. (I'll be up there for a few days in February)

Pretty sure it's still possible to get a copy of PR on cartridge. Just not on AtariAge. I wouldn't even ask here, to be honest.

Personally, I'd be happy playing it on Harmony, if I still had a TV that worked with a 2600.

CRT TV that works with Atari RF - $25-$30 bucks at the thrift shop.

Harmony - $60

SD card - $4

ROM download - FREE!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215058-princess-rescue-binaries-released/

Well, I'm afraid you're out of luck then. Due to the Cease and Desist order that came from Nintendo, no more original carts or boxes will EVER be made. You'll have to look on EBay, Craiglist, here on the AA marketplace, or other online sources to find one, and be prepared to pay for it. A trade might be possible also.

I figured as much- but it never hits to put feelers out there. Perhaps someone will hear my "late to the game" sob story and take pity on me. I'll be putting all my PS1 and PS2 stuff up to trade for CIB homebrews at some point... maybe I'll put it towards this.

Or suck it up on eBay

Actually, you may be better off searching Craigslist for a CRT TV. I recently upgraded a 21" I had been using for my Intellivision and 7800 to a 32" Sony CRT. All for the low price of free. Of course the big issue is that you need to have at least one friend help transport and move the TV into your home. Even with two of us, the 32" wasn't exactly light.

The local Rescue Mission Thrift store has a wooden console Sony Trinitron TV with built in stereo speakers (real speakers in a wooden enclosure too so I imagine the sound is far superior to modern flat panels), A/V Yellow/White/Red jacks in the back. $30 bucks, but I would probably need a palette jack to move it around.

• Like 1

CRT TV that works with Atari RF - $25-$30 bucks at the thrift shop.

Actually, you may be better off searching Craigslist for a CRT TV.

The local Rescue Mission Thrift store has a wooden console Sony Trinitron TV with built in stereo speakers

You guys are saying that as though I would ever use a CRT again without a gun pointed at my head. As I've posted elsewhere,

I've gone down this rabbit hole... more than once. First you want authentic controllers, but they make USB versions of most of those now.

Then emulation isn't good enough anymore, so you pull out the old behemoth or hit ebay.

Then you miss the scanlines and color bleeding. (Or, for us children of the late '70s, the fuzzy black and white.)

Then you miss the tinny mono sound.

Then you miss the woodgrain contact paper on the side of your cheap old TV.

Then you miss the controller being too big for your hands.

Then you miss the feel of the carpeting under you as you sat crosslegged, miss the sounds and smells of your home as you once knew it.

Then you want your parents back.

That was where I stopped and went back to Stella.

Analog tuners ain't gonna be around in HDTVs for much longer. It will be funny when you finally pay someone to mod your Atari with A/V jacks, get an A/V-to-HDMI converter box, then you plug it into your fancy new 4k 120Hz "Smart" LED HDTV with prebuffering, Yadif 2x deinterlace filter, and Lanczos3 4k image upscaling, but to your horror the character onscreen doesn't jump or move when you tell it to but instead it waits half a second, and you slip off a cliff or don't dodge enemies fast enough, and die many, many times due to the poor laggy response... :P

I have a modded 2600 and it already doesn't work on our current TV. I literally just said I went back to Stella and I'm happy with it. Cartridges are strictly things to collect for me, much as CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays are strictly for ripping and sticking on our Plex server before being put in a growing pile of plastic office totes for the rest of eternity.

That said, like all but the cheapest current TVs, our TV has a "Game Mode" that's close to zero latency, which I was glad to discover the first night I played Rocksmith. I don't use the various "enhancement modes" that come with 120Hz, having chosen that feature strictly to be able to watch both 24 and 30/60Hz content natively.

Gee, where have I heard that before? Maybe post 1008? :ponder: :P

Kinda funny that you called out someone else for making an echo post when your own post #1011 had been stated by about 5 people before you (and is inaccurate to boot).

Edited by raindog

• 2 weeks later...