IGNORED

Xbox killed the used game

Well, it looks like this might be the beginning of the end for those of us who want to collect AND PLAY old games discarded at flea markets, garage sales, and thrift stores. The new Microsoft system will probably not allow older games to work, unless you pay them again. Not only that, the system REQUIRES you to stay connected to MS servers, even if all you do is play alone and offline (actually a misnomer, since online access is required).

I hate this - pure planned obsolescence.

What do you think?

Not only that, the system REQUIRES you to stay connected to MS servers, even if all you do is play alone and offline (actually a misnomer, since online access is required).

Where did you read that? Last I heard, that was just a rumor which MS sort of clarified:

Always-Online?

Microsoft is also being sketchy about whether or not the platform will be always-online, something that has been rumored for quite some time now. According to their press site: "No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet."

Uh, what? We asked Phil Harrison for clarification, and he said that the console will need to connect to the Internet at least once a day. But Microsoft has walked that back, describing it as just a "potential scenario" for how Xbox One will function. In other words, they haven't decided what they're doing yet.

I really wonder how this pay-again policy would stand up in a court. Remains to be seen, but once a company has been paid for a product, is it really legal to charge for it again?

I am sure it will be challenged, maybe even in a class-action suit, before it is all over.

TMOSteel, always online doesn't matter. What matters is that the game will be installed and MUST be activated with your Xbox Live account. Once that is done, unless you or MS somehow deactivate that, the game disc is essentially useless but as a backup. All MS mentioned was the plan for a used game trade in service, where I think you're just "Trading" in your ownership to MS directly via XBL.

Services like Red Box, Gamefly, will be SOL.

Services like Red Box, Gamefly, will be SOL.

When was the last time you saw a AAA game or any 1st party title in a RedBox kiosk, for any system? It's all shovelware, mostly movie cash-ins. I've never witnessed any 1st party Wii title, for instance. Gamfly will not carry Xbox One Zero titles, and GameStop will refuse to buy them back. This will alienate current and potential customers. Sorry, they might as well quit now. Crapbox is doomed to fail, and with the online requirement and lack of used games, once servers are shut down, the console will only be good for use as a door stop, and the games for Frisbees or beverage coasters. Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

didnt it already happen with the psp go?

For the most part yes, and look at what happened with the PSP-Go :) I actually hope that the Xbox One used game and online measures are as restrictive as possible, along with the online requirements from developers and publishers, and that the PS4 ends up being at least as bad. Why? So that when these restrictions fall flat on their face from customer backlash and technical issues and inevitably lead to the sort of disasters that occurred with Diablo 3 and Sim City and the sales of the PSP-Go or some combination of both, they will not be implemented again for some time afterwards.

Based on the articles I've read, I think this information is false though and many people are completely misinterpreting the used game issue. I believe that (and I hope I am right), as long as you have a physical disc, you can play the game. Installs are mandatory regardless, so the registering is simply if you want to play the game without the disc. If you install the game on a friend's hard drive though, they will be required to either have the disc in their drive to play it (just like how the current 360 works), or they will have the option to buy a license if they want to play that data which is already installed on the drive (assuming they don't have the physical disc any longer).

No one knows 100% yet whether the online connectivity requirement is going to effect the actual ability to play games, so it's too early to tell there.

Anyone who thinks it won't happen...I hate to say it.....as a former Microsoft employee said "deal with it".

It will and it starts with Xbox. Sony wants to jump on board but is not going to be the first.

Everyone would love a Steam model on console and Microsoft is headed that way for sure.

Yeah, too much hearsay and not enough facts at the moment. The info posted there is also posted everywhere else, but again MS has made a statement to clarify just what they meant by what they said.

Someone at MS should run for political office with responses like that. In other words they really didn't answer the real question or clarify anything.

As far as this "games tied to your user account" hey if its an arcade title I've bought and downloaded, that's one thing. But physical media?

F-YOU MS if you think this is going to fly with anyone, and I'm a huge MS supporter myself. To me this is akin to a long term rental or lease, which I then turn in when I'm done with it. What is my motivation to purchase a game if it has no resale value? What about guys like me that collect games? I'd be stuck with a worthless collection of discs and a console, since whoever buys this from me down the road would just have to buy the games all over again.

Good luck to my grandkids kids when they want to play any "vintage" Xbox One games and there is no longer a way to transfer the ownership and play them.

I hope anyone who has any interest in this system emails MS and lets them know what a crappy idea this is. I know I plan to.

Good luck to my grandkids kids when they want to play any "vintage" Xbox One games and there is no longer a way to transfer the ownership and play them.

Let me answer that like a fanboy: Listen grandpa, your future grandkids should be supporting big game companies by purchasing the latest consoles and games, not playing your musty old collection. Playing your old crap helps no one. It's selfish. Rich white men in suits count on us for their millions in bonuses every year. Now stop whining and consume!

CONSUME! CONSUME! CONSUME!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgl1HOxpj8

• Like 2

Used game sales are massive. Gamestop makes a crazy percentage of its profits on the used trade. Don't think Microsoft doesn't know this and don't think they also don't know how much money they are losing in the process. When somebody buys a game a 2nd (or 3rd or more) time.. Microsoft doesn't get a penny. The game store keeps it all. Obviously they are going to want to tap into that.

Of course that also really, really sucks for the consumer. Right now I get about 50% of my current gen console games from Amazon sales a few months after release. The other 50% I get from Gamefly when they have their used sales. I don't even go into gamestops anymore but when I do i walk right passed the new section and hit the used. As long as the disc is in good shape and the game is complete with box and docs, who cares? There are a few (and i mean few) games I'll buy on launch date but I gotta really, really care about them. Otherwise it's much cheaper to game about 4 months behind release dates as the games are 50% off (or more).

It also sucks for those of us who like to collect games. Your discs will be basically worthless moving forward so amassing a collection of XB1 games isn't going to be worth a whole lot in 20 years.. unless you can still check-in to the MS servers in 2033. Maybe you will? Maybe you won't.. big if. Most people won't care but I think people on this forum will appreciate the value of having a physical copy of a game that can be played on any system 20 or 30 years on.

I loved the 360 this generation, my PS3 has a huge line of dust on it. I don't think it's even been powered up in 2 years. However, if MS goes through with this 'no used game' plan.. well the PS4 just got real attractive.

Honestly my favorite current game system is whichever one is the best anyway. I'm usually brand loyal but at the end of the day you gotta go where the games are and who has the better package overall.

As far as I'm concerned, used game sales were killed off when game companies decided to use an optical disk as storage. ;)

Agreed 100%. I don't have a modern console, but I'm hesitant to even buy used PS2 games anymore because the discs are usually scratched up.

• Like 1