IGNORED

Earthbound

Mendon

I have never played this game and really know very little about it. But it seems to be extremely popular with Nintendo fans who have been screaming for a VC release for a few years now.

Iwata announced just a few weeks back that Earthbound will be released in NA this year as a VC release. But today, Amazon UK has a listing for a physical version to be released this year and rumors are now making the rounds that the entire series is going to released as a physical copy in HD.

Question: is Earthbound really as good a game as Nintendo fans are making it out to be????

I've never played it personally but people love it. W/this news I'm glad I sold my copy. I have seen other games plummett in value soon as they hit VC and get a re-release. I see this game dropping in value, then going back up again later on. Soon as this game drops I'll be snagging a copy again for my collection.

A compilation or HD remake physical release would be actual impressive news. It's certainly much better than a throwaway WiiU Virtual Console release when the game should have been released on the Wii VC years ago. Making it a WiiU VC exclusive was basically a big middle finger.

I haven't played it myself either, but I trust this guy's judgement. So far, all his recommendations I followed were dead center hits:

I have seen people spend flipping great wadges of cash on ePay for a boxed SNES Earthbound. I guess it's reputation is deserved.

Edited by karokoenig

I haven't played it myself either, but I trust this guy's judgement. So far, all his recommendations I followed were dead center hits:

I have seen people spend flipping great wadges of cash on ePay for a boxed SNES Earthbound. I guess it's reputation is deserved.

Mendon, I suggest watching this video in its entirety and judging for yourself. I've never played it for more than a few minutes personally, but the Happy Video Game Nerd paints a pretty clear picture of what it's all about. Maybe he hypes it up a little more than it's worth, but I can say I'm interested in playing it now (have been for a while actually, just haven't gotten around to it.. I think that will change when it releases on the Wii U).

Umm it is a JRPG in the style of Dragon Quest. Not a lot of eye candy in battles and combat can be frustratingly difficult especially early on.

Reason I like it is visual look (on the map), quirky dialogue, and fun music. It's like a bizarre Japan-ified Charlie Brown where they are just laughing at America. It also came out at a time where very few RPGs broke with the sword and sorcery setting so it was quite unique.

If you consider yourself a fan of RPGs it is definitely worth checking out. It isn't my favorite SNES RPG but it definitely has style.

Yeah, he's great, isn't he? :)

Not sure as I haven't watched the video yet. But I officially stopped watching the AVGN videos after I watched his 5200 review where all he did was b!tch about the video/power/controller hookups and never actually played a single game. AVGN's reviews have largely gotten stale, IMO the only one I found mildly entertaining was the Nintendo World Championships episode. I like the pun on this new guy though. Being a "Happy' nerd is so much better than being "Angry" nerd any day. :)

Well Happy Video Game Nerd is a legit reviewer that just kind of started out by imitating the style of all the phony "angry" reviewers. He definitely found a great niche in the retro game reviewer category though. He's turned me onto some good stuff I'd never played before.

AVGN has always been a joke character. Rolfe has even said some of the games he's trashed as the nerd he actually likes.

• Like 1

I'd buy the physical copy only because for me I don't want to invest too much in digital with Nintendo (they still go by console).

I hope it gets released...if it never will then I will buy it as a download. I want to support more digital RPG's as we constantly see releases for so much other garbage.