IGNORED

Just got a Wii U....pro controller worth it?

cimerians

Well since I wont be getting any other console this year (waited for the Xbox Reveal and the decision was easy).......I got this now but I only got New SMB WII U with it. It played really well. The updates took a while. Nintendo land was OK, it seemed you can unlock a lot of stuff in the game to keep you busy but I probably wont spend time with it. I picked up the 30 cent Super Metroid as well.

Menu navigation still seems to be slow when you exit out and return HOME etc. but not all bad. I do get pissed when I accidentally tap on something I didnt want then I have to wait to exit back out.

I dont think I'll be transferring my Wii stuff over since my Wii is homebrewed and I dont want anything to happen to it.

Now the question, is the pro controller worth it? I dont mind the gamepad but sometimes it gets tiresome looking down at it or just warm in the hands. Is it still pretty much up to the developer to support it? Seems like NEW SMB doesn't support it.

Oh well consider me part of the Wii U community. :P

I got the wii u zombie u package come with the pro controller. I have used it once. its a great controller but almost zero games work with it. Its a adult sized controller. not like the smaller xbox and ps3 kids ones.. If your a man and have man hands youll see what i mean..

• Like 1

I haven't bothered getting the Wii U Pro controller yet. Most of the Wii U games that are suited for a traditional controller (Sonic Racing Transformed, Tekken Tag 2, Trine 2, Mighty Switch Force, etc.) all support the wiimote and wii classic controller / pro. If you already have Wii classic controller(s) it's not necessary to upgrade yet. Also, the Wii U Pro controller is NOT backwards compatible for playing Wii games on the Wii U.

NSMBU doesn't support the Wii U Pro controller or Wii classic controller. You have to use a horizontal wiimote because some levels use tilt control.

Edited by boog

they're making more games that work with the pro controller.

I would recommend it.

Soon enough you'll be wishing you had one, so you might as well get it now.

works great when you can use it (once again, you'll be using it a lot more in the future)

kinda like a 360 controller. sexy.

I got my U at launch and I still haven't found a reason to justify buying the pro controller yet. Games that I thought would handle like ass using the gamepad like Ninja Gaiden, CoD or Injustice turned out to be no problem for me.

Since using the pad I've played games using standard controllers and they feel simply too small and cramped for my hands now.

I have the pro-controller for Wii U. Many of the games support it, such as Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, CoD, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, and others.

I prefer using it over the gamepad for Monster Hunter and when my sons come over, we'll do some 2 player CoD... one person playing on the gamepad and the other on the pro-controller. CoD isn't split screen either as the person with the gamepad views/plays the game on it while the pro-controller player views/plays the game on the TV.

I really like the pro-controller. Very nicely built and comfortable.

Edited by Mendon

It's mainly good for two player games. When I played sonic racing, my friend used the pro controller with the TV while I used the gamepad. I don't know of any single player games that require it. IMO, the pro controller is better than a classic controller pro tethered to a Wiimote but it won't work in Wii mode. If you play a lot of Virtual console games in Wii mode, do not get rid of the classic controller.

I've read on a couple of websites about a controller released by Nyko for the Wii U:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANHBJBY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&tag=atariage&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00ANHBJBY&linkCode=as2

Though the reviews on the Amazon page aren't overwhelming positive, two things grabbed my interest:

Cheaper than the original Nintendo brand by $20

Looks like and has the exact same button/joystick layout as the Xbox360 controller.

One thing I discovered while being a Wii U owner is that the layout of the right joystick and the A & B button on the Wii U gamepad & pro controller is different from what I'm used to on the Xbox & PS3 controllers. If I game for a while on the Xbox or PS3 then start gaming on the Wii U, I find myself fumbling for and hitting the wrong buttons for a bit until I get used to it. Then I have the same problem when I go back to gaming on the Xbox & PS3 after using the Wii U for awhile.

Very, very minor problem, I know, but still... if this Nyko controller works well and feels good, it might make the transition time between system controllers a bit shorter for me.

• 4 months later...

In case anyone is interested, the white Wii U Pro Controller is now on clearance at Best Buy for ~$11. The black Pro controller is still full price but since the Basic model Wii U is going away it looks like they won't be selling white Pro controllers anymore. If you don't care about the controller color...

In case anyone is interested, the white Wii U Pro Controller is now on clearance at Best Buy for ~$11. The black Pro controller is still full price but since the Basic model Wii U is going away it looks like they won't be selling white Pro controllers anymore. If you don't care about the controller color...

Sounds like combined with this:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-pro-controller-to-pc-program-release.343159/

You'll have a VERY cheap and very nice PC controller as well. I'm gonna jump on this.

well gawdamn, I have to check that out now.

Really wish I had seen this! Oh well....looks like they're out now.

On some of them you can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games_that_use_the_Wii_U_Pro_Controller

Just like the Wii, the situation is game specific. Not every Wii game that supported the Classic Controller included GameCube controller support and at least one game that supported the GameCube controller didn't support the Classic Controller (Metal Slug Anthology).

Where 1st party content is concerned, Classic Controller support for Wii U applications seems limited to digitally distributed titles with all Virtual Console releases supporting it to the best of my knowledge and at least one 1st party eShop release is on that list.

Super Mario 3D World though will work with it which makes sense for local multiplayer (It's listed as a supported controller on its website). I would hope that the multiplayer oriented Super Smash Brothers U and Mario Kart 8 will do likewise just like how their Wii predecessors supported the GCN gamepad.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/SUPER-MARIO-3D-WORLD-765385.html

Edited by Atariboy