IGNORED

We're in a console rut... Forbes Magazine

Mendon

I found this an interesting read that posed some interesting thoughts & views:

http://www.forbes.co...-a-console-rut/

Yep:

Where are the leaps forward? Where are the breakthroughs that are really changing what it means to play video games?

So far, they don't appear to be coming from Nintendo , Sony or Microsoft. . .

I don't think we're in a console rut.

I think we're in a "console suck."

All the major players are trying to go as far as they can in the wrong direction. They just have slightly different definitions of what the 'most wrong' is.

Maybe consumers will slurp it up for another generation. 'Probably will. I dunno, **** it anyway.

I'm keeping my ~$10k/yr gaming budget close-hold until I figure out what's what.

(Reaperman is drunk-posting, please ignore him as appropriate.)

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Overlooking that you have to quit whatever game you’re playing to go to the Xbox dashboard to use this app, tell me that assembling pizza via Kinect is actually more convenient than using the same app on your phone, or better yet, calling in your order. It’s progress without a real purpose.

Its a small thing but it seems telling that consoles are now trying to emulate the apps on your phone - devices that more and more people are turning to for all their entertainment like gaming - something the xbox one is desperately trying to copy.

Forbes rocks! They may not be tech savy and know how to do data recovery - for example. But they're pretty good at how tech affects your life in the big picture.

Agree completely with the statement that the new xboxone is trying to solve a problem that we don't really have. A result of MS trying too hard to do something.

the problem is no one can agree what consoles are for anymore. it used to be simple. a console was something that let you play video games at home. now there are hundreds of devices that will let you play video games anywhere.

gaming is more popular now then it ever was before,but the market is so fragmented, console makers not only have to compete with other new consoles, but also with every new gadget coming out and their own previous console generations.

• Like 1

They simply have no idea what to do with all of that horsepower. Back in the "16-bit" days I dreamed about playing games in huge, rich worlds where you could interact with almost everything. All it would take is storage, CPU power, and creative gameplay. Imagine exploring space and being able to land on fully-realized worlds to explore. Instead of huge worlds, however, we get to be bedazzled by seeing a character's skin pores and arm hairs. Yep, all of that hardware...wasted. Let's sacrifice expansive worlds so we can look at graphics that have no effect whatsoever on gameplay mechanics. Let's also concentrate on non-game features nobody asked for and restrict how players can access and trade their games. That's progress.

Since developers are not interested in creating expansive playfields, there really is no use for all of this horsepower in a console. In reaction, the hardware developers are scrambling to come up with other "features" to justify an upgrade because they know that games for their shiny new hardware will just be retreads from the previous years with more skin pores and arm hairs. That's my theory, anyway.

• Like 1

Instead of huge worlds, however, we get to be bedazzled by seeing a character's skin pores and arm hairs. Yep, all of that hardware...wasted. Let's sacrifice expansive worlds so we can look at graphics that have no effect whatsoever on gameplay mechanics.

Yeah, Skyrim freezes up all of the time because it can't handle all of the stuff on the screen, so how about getting rid of all of the little bits of floating crap in the air? It doesn't look realistic and it's more of a distraction than anything else. Instead of spending time adding little bits of floating crap, how about making NPCs that are smarter than a decapitated monkey?

• Like 2

Yeah, Skyrim freezes up all of the time because it can't handle all of the stuff on the screen, so how about getting rid of all of the little bits of floating crap in the air? It doesn't look realistic and it's more of a distraction than anything else. Instead of spending time adding little bits of floating crap, how about making NPCs that are smarter than a decapitated monkey?

Skyrim only freezes up due to buggy programing, not due to the systems not being able to handle it, they are fully capable of it.

• Like 1

With Microsoft trying to leverage their console for every last XBOX LIVE dime, Nintendo trying to create the next controller gimmick (while ignoring performance... again), and SONY... whatever the hell sony is doing... the gaming is taking a back seat.

.......Nintendo trying to create the next controller gimmick (while ignoring performance... again).........

My belief as to why Nintendo is ignoring performance is because Nintendo designs their consoles & handhelds to play Nintendo games first and foremost.... and the games that Nintendo designs don't require high end graphics or a powerhouse processor.

I used to complain about 3rd parties not releasing titles on Nintendo platforms and blamed these 3rd parties for being shortsighted. But as time went on, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the 3rd parties fault. If there was any fault, it was with Nintendo because Nintendo doesn't really care about EA or Activision or UBIsoft or whomever releasing titles for their hardware. Nintendo's does what it does for Nintendo's own best interests and if other companies join them in making games for the GameCube or Wii or Wii U, then fine. If 3rd parties don't, then Nintendo believes all will be fine as they will still make money on their own IP sales.

Look back at the Wii.... Nintendo titles like Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Mario Party, and many, many others looked good in 480p and didn't require a ton of processing power to play & have fun with. Games like Call of Duty looked like crap compared to Xbox & PS versions and lacked many of the features, but Nintendo didn't care as they were making money on their own IP's.

I'm convinced that when Nintendo presented the Wii and motion gaming to all the 3rd and *IF* these 3rd parties had said "Bah, that's stupid and we're not supporting wiggle-waggle", Nintendo would have just shrugged their shoulders and said "Have a nice day" and the Wii would have been on stores shelves anyway.

Sony & MS throw large amounts of money at 3rd party companies to get exclusive features, exclusive costumes or weapons or vehicles, timed releases, and just general overall support. But Nintendo keeps its money in its own coffers and plugs away at the next release of Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon.

I look at all the app's that are available on the Xbox & PS3 formats and know that you will never see anything like them on a Nintendo console because Nintendo just doesn't care about them, even if their customers do. MS reportedly paid the NFL $400million for the rights to NFL games; I can't see Nintendo paying $100 for them because Nintendo just doesn't operate that way.

Its nice having a Nintendo console that plays Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Batman, and other major titles. But after owning the N64, GameCube, Wii, and now Wii U, I've accepted the fact that Nintendo will always play the game by its own rules and that I own Nintendo hardware because of Nintendo titles.... not because of Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, and Batman.

Nintendo has its own business model and vision of gaming; they are not MS or Sony.

Edited by Mendon
  • Like 1

While Microsoft is behaving a little presumptuously, they are essentially correct. I know gamers that have more shit than they'll ever play in their lifetime. And I ask why, and they say us gamers like to stay ahead of the curve and all that happy horseshit.

It's what gamers do. Microsoft knows that, and they will take their money. Gotta love it!

While Microsoft is behaving a little presumptuously, they are essentially correct. I know gamers that have more shit than they'll ever play in their lifetime. And I ask why, and they say us gamers like to stay ahead of the curve and all that happy horseshit.

It's what gamers do. Microsoft knows that, and they will take their money. Gotta love it!

Correct! lol

What'll be interesting is to see how many of the people bitching now end up buying one anyway. Then, thanks to the lush sales of the Xbone to the battered gamers everywhere, when the Xbone 2000 is announced in 8 years with even more restrictions and user-hostile features they can start the bitch-fest all over again. :D

"Thank you sir may I have another?"

*whack*

"Thank you sir may I have another?"

I like how oculus rift is a whole new gaming experience, I have had cheap VR helmets in the past, and yea its neat ... for the first couple hours. They are front heavy, give you headaches, and make your neck hurt, people are not investing cause they are bitter old entrenched console warriors, its becuase they have already gone down that path.

here is one of the sets I used to own

iglasses.jpg

they were light weight and sleek, till you hung them off your face and it felt like someone set a bag of potaotes on your nose

an earlier set

cybermaxx.jpg

were also pretty light, until you hung them on your face, sure technology means they have better than 640x480 resolution, and smaller electronics, but there was hardly any electronics in these things, as a box on your desk did all the heavy work so it more or less kapton flex pcb to LCD screen and headphone wires to speakers. Consumer grade ABS plastic has not gotten less dense and I am just not sold on the entire idea.

but dont let me ruin your fun, its only 300 bucks, thats about 50$ an hour for each one of the two I had, but you know its KICKSTARTER, REVOLUTIONARY AND BOLD!

Edited by Osgeld