IGNORED

Atari and it's auction

AVoltoro

Well this was a post I didn't think I was going to make. After not being able to find a buyer for it's business, Atari has decided to auction off it's IP's including Test Drive, Roller Coster Tycoon, Total Annihilation and even the Atari brand itself. Now the reason I am making the post is that, although the source I have found mentioned minimum buds for some of it's games, it said nothing about the rights to it's hardware, which I think should be in the hands of Atari age, especially the 2600. I don't think that we should let such a big part of gaming history fall to deters, but how do you think we should save not just the 2600, but all other hardware Atari made as well? (Also, the 1st link is of my evidence, and my 2nd is of some awesome chiptune music, just to lift your spirits)

http://www.gamasutra..._to_auction.php

https://soundcloud.com/abortifacient

Grammar is only meant to help us understand each other. It's not license to ridicule. It's like etiquette. Proper etiquette includes never complaining about someone's behavior. Hence etiquette Nazi's are in fact not showing good etiquette.

As for the auction, this isn't the same Atari that owned the hardware as far as I know. That became another company but I can't recall the history. Even if we could try to get the rights they'd still go for mad money. Companies always over estimate their value even when they have their lack of value thrown in their face.

I will try and remember in the future.

i suppose in the future well all just have to stop using capitalization and punctuation or else the grammar nazis win

i looked at news on the atari auction and even dead franchises are listed at high prices

Every new article that I consulted just gave the same few examples:

"The Atari brand itself will start at $15 million."

“Among the minimum bids Atari is seeking for various video game franchises, the Journal cited

$3.5 million for Roller Coaster Tycoon;

$1.5 million for Test Drive;

$500,000 apiece for Humongous, Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise, and Math Gran Prix; and

$250,000 for Total Annihilation.”

I'm frankly surprised that Math Gran Prix has any value whatsoever.

If anybody has seen the starting bids/prices for the well-known titles (e.g. Pong, Centipede, Asteroids, Breakout), please share the information.

“Among the minimum bids Atari is seeking for various video game franchises, the Journal cited

$500,000 apiece for Humongous, Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise, and Math Gran Prix; and

If anybody has seen the starting bids/prices for the well-known titles (e.g. Pong, Centipede, Asteroids, Breakout), please share the information.

Don't forget, these listed prices are what Atari wishes, not necessarily what they will go for. If there are no bids, they will probably be bundled and sold for less per. Also, unless someone is willing to pump money into promoting many of these properties, the actual values will continue to deflate. Somebody like Mattel, Hasbro, Fisher-Price etc may be interested in something like Math Gran Prix, but might apply it to a completely unrelated product.

Actually Math Grand Prix is worth about $400 trillion. :)

But seriously, those are the prices they WANT for them. Not what they will get. I think they are going to have to lower their prices quite a bit.

I wish I could buy a bunch of the Atari games and give the ownweship to Pacmanplus for his birthday.

Allan

As for the auction, this isn't the same Atari that owned the hardware as far as I know. That became another company but I can't recall the history.

No, the hardware ownership is split. This current Atari would own any remaining patents and copyrights for console and computer hardware. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment owns any remaining patents on the arcade hardware. All the patents for the original Atari Inc. would have expired by now. Any remaining patents would be from under Atari Corporation and Atari Games. As for hardware copyrights and trademarks, the current Atari Inc. continued to update their copyrights for hardware names - such as Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, etc.