IGNORED

Post your favorite underrated consoles

I'm not sure how to quantify "favorite." I like most of the them for various reasons.

Maybe I'll say Color Computer, Atari 7800, and either Channel F or Atari XEGS since that's what I've been "collecting" most recently (as in, I bought a few games for Xmas).

XEGS is a great choice - one of my favorite consoles!

With all of its control problems, I seem to drift back over and over to playing my 5200. I think it qualifies as underrated even to this day (or maybe its just bad). The games are some of my favorite versions and the influx of 8-bit computer hacks has been really fun.

I enjoy the 5200, I just wish I had more free time to play it, I bought two gold controllers from best and played it a few more times then put it back in the box. Maybe once I get a house with my own game room where my systems will be freely accessible then I could play it more.

Going to have to go with the TG16. Some great games there and not many people had this system.

I think the TG16 is a great and underrated system, but I wouldn't say that "not many" people had it. Wikipedia claims that there were 2.5 million units sold in the USA. While that isn't a blockbuster, it compares favorably to the Coleco at 2 million and the Intellivision at 3 million - and I consider those to be reasonably popular systems.

How many systems does a console have to sell before we consider it popular..?

I think the TG16 is a great and underrated system, but I wouldn't say that "not many" people had it. Wikipedia claims that there were 2.5 million units sold in the USA. While that isn't a blockbuster, it compares favorably to the Coleco at 2 million and the Intellivision at 3 million - and I consider those to be reasonably popular systems.

How many systems does a console have to sell before we consider it popular..?

I based that on personal observation. Most everyone I knew had NES or Super NES systems. But if you want to throw down numbers... Wiki states there were 34 million NES sold in US, and 23 million SNES. so was TG16 (2.5 million) less popular? Looks like it, at 13.6 to 1 (NES) and 9.2 to 1 (SNES).

I would have to say the Lynx as #1, there are a lot of quality games for the system and the graphics for the time were unmatched in a portable. Vectrex would be #2, a system that really just came out at the wrong time. Minestorm alone is worth buying the system. After that, probably the 5200. Great games, excellent graphics for the time...it's just that @#$ controller! Even when it works well, it's still a less than ideal controller.