IGNORED

Time travel to golden age of video games?

I would go back in time and stop this thread from happening...thus stopping Skynet from becoming self aware and ultimately saving mankind from self destruction, brought by the invasion of terminators.

Now there's one i didn't think of. If he or any of us go back in time to say, 1984, we'll end up naked in a back alley taking the pants off of a homeless guy or near a trash truck while someone's emptying dumpsters and end up scaring the hell out of them. Man, i don't know if i want to do this now. :lol: Something about the field generated by a living organism. Nothing dead will go. (including clothes). :-o

Ok forget golden era, I'd go back a little further back. Something like 15,000 years, pick up a few live saber toothed cats, bring em today, raise them for pets. They would make better anti-burglar than the meanest pit bull or doberman.

They will eat you alive before you can even convince them to go back with you.

I love how everyone and their mom will hoard Air Raid cartridges, thus inadvertently making them entirely worthless in the present. Enjoy your $.50 per cartridge since all the time travellers brought back millions of them. :P

So invent the machine. Make no backup plans so only you know how to build a time machine. Save a few thousand air raises. Come back to 2013. Then destroy the time machine so no body else can go back and you have the last of the air raides. And no body else can go back because nobody knows how to build a time machine except you.

So invent the machine. Make no backup plans so only you know how to build a time machine. Save a few thousand air raises. Come back to 2013. Then destroy the time machine so no body else can go back and you have the last of the air raides. And no body else can go back because nobody knows how to build a time machine except you.

This theory works only until the first few hundred copies you sell start to hit the reseller's market and prices spiral downward from increased supply and decreased demand. After that trend starts, your remaining couple thousand copies will only sell for $30-$60 a piece.

I would go back and tell Atari what not to do with Pac-man, ET and the 5200

I doubt they would listen though

I don't the three things would have helped Atari from a money standpoint in 1984 and a good portion of 1983. While the sale of ET would be up, I don't think it would help the later part of 1983. The fact is the Crash was going to happening in 1983/1984 anyway. The only difference would be the amount inventory of Pac-man and ET left.

Atari lost a lawsuit to Activision and that meant anyone can develop and publish games for the 2600. That is a part of the crash happening right there. While Activision did good games, some companies did 2600 games just for making money and caused having too many 2600 games on the market. Commodore was doing commercials that encouraged people to buy computers instead of video games. Video games was a rival to computers than. The other fact is the amount of game consoles on the market in 1983.

The 5200 was going to have problems against the Colecovision in price even if the controllers, launch titles were better. The other catch is the crash was going affect the 5200 anyway for later 1983 anyway.

I wouldn't mind having a TARDIS that looks like a coin-op cabinent instead of a police box and using it to pop in arcades in different time periods to play games. Space Invaders in the 70's, Pac-Man in the 80's, Street Fighter II in the 90's, DDR in the 2000's and some future game center with a holodeck... :D

I would go back and tell Atari what not to do with Pac-man, ET and the 5200

Better off convincing Nolan Bushnell to never sell Atari to Warner and instead go to the venture captialists that he recommended Steve Jobs to. We all could be using iPads with Fuji logos on the back... ;)

If I had a time machine I wouldn't use it for wealth, power, or personal gain. I would instead use it for the benefit and betterment of all mankind: I would use it to prevent the Kardashians from being born.

YOU'RE WELCOME, HUMANITY!

I would use it to create an alternate universe. I'll go online and print out copies of all of Leonardo Davinci's technical drawings and inventions, and give copies of them to his worse rivals. And while I'm at it, I'll throw in a couple of classified blueprints on how to build an Atomic bomb. :evil:

Or maybe I'll just get several crates of AK-47s and ammunition, grenades, etc, and time travel back to the 1860s and give them to General Lee's troops. :evil:

Apparently, the US government has been travelling back in time for 40 years:

http://www.huffingto..._n_1438216.html

http://www.trutv.com/conspiracy/government-lies/time-travel/movies-and-reality.html

http://www.fourwinds10.net/siterun_data/space/time_travel/news.php?q=1262641460

Who knew?

Edited by fiddlepaddle

Instead of getting a cradle full of Air Raid cartridges, I would get two of each Atari cartridge, so I would have two collections.

One collection to sell at at a nice price (two extra cartridges of each game would not take prices down) and one collection to keep as my treasure :)

Also I would carry with me the corrected Pacman and E.T. I've seen somewhere here in Atariage to replace in Atari offices the master ROM for cartridge duplication. :D

Edited by nanochess

Speaking of Apple, I'd like to buy a few Apple 1 at $666 and sell them today. If opened and working Apple 1 goes for $666,000, imagine what sealed box would go for.

I don't want to disappoint you, but the Apple 1 didn't come in a box. ;)

Don't you people ever wonder what it would be like to swap history around?

Well, y'all are too late because:

"this guy" <--- found a time machine and beat you to it.

As it turns out, Da Vinci was just some kind of irradiated turtle, Eli Whitney actually cannot 'out-dunk' Wilton Chamberlain, and Hitler is known for inventing style of kung fu that he promised not to practice after an accident during a match when he was 12.

I also warped Napoleon into a random mental ward--good luck picking out the real one.

Oh, and I started a rumor about some video gaming losers dumping some games nobody wants into a landfill. You'll find Hoffa's body long before you find 10 million copies of E.T. that nobody wants. Teabags!

I don't go back in time to collect, I go back to troll.

Edited by Reaperman

It'd be cool to go back to the summer of 82 or 83 or 84 and hang around a mall for a couple days. Big arcades with so many games you never had time (or coins) for all of them. Then hit the movies (usually also in the mall) and check out Return of the Jedi or Raiders or whatever was out that year. Hit the mall pizza palace , get an Orange Julius , listen to Cindi Lauper and Eurythmics and Police on the radio.

YES! I'd love to go back to '83 or so to revisit the glorious golden age of the arcade! And afterward, I'd head over to Lionel Playworld and gaze in wide-eyed amazement at all the rows of Return of the Jedi/G.I. Joe/He-Man action figures (when they had the loooong straight isles, not the crappy island-style ones). Then I'd grab a slice of pizza at either Mr. Gatti's or Pizza Inn, and then it's off for some fun at the roller skating rink! Oh, and like Cafeman said, it would be great to hear GOOD music on the radio while I'm driving around.

It'd be cool to go back to the summer of 82 or 83 or 84 and hang around a mall for a couple days. Big arcades with so many games you never had time (or coins) for all of them. Then hit the movies (usually also in the mall) and check out Return of the Jedi or Raiders or whatever was out that year. Hit the mall pizza palace , get an Orange Julius , listen to Cindi Lauper and Eurythmics and Police on the radio.

That's what i'm talking about. ;-)

Man, I guess that all depends on what happens when I get there. Can I be a kid again in 1985? I'll take that deal all day long. If not, then I'd probably only use the time machine to catch old metal shows and maybe grab a bag of Tato Skins while I'm out.

Things I would do:

- Buy a epoch pocket computer, a seiko tv watch and look cool.

- 5-player bomberman matches.

- Watch bladerunner in cinema

- Hang around in computer stores where I used to hang around (although I would meet myself...).

- Watch battlestar galactica, buck rogers and star trek on tv

- Buy Up 'n Down on cartridge, man I hated that tape, which would always give errors etc. I really wanted my dad to burn an eprom off it but was an electronics wizard but not a programming wizard...

Edit: - Create a ttl based version of ballblazer :-)

Edited by roland p

Oh, and like Cafeman said, it would be great to hear GOOD music on the radio while I'm driving around.
You can still do that in 2013. Get a Satellite radio installed. Try Sirius/XM Classic Rewind (25) if you like classic rock, or 80s on 8 if you're a pop fan.

YES! I'd love to go back to '83 or so to revisit the glorious golden age of the arcade!

Not only video arcades, but pinball machines too. I haven't seen an actual working pinball machine in years. I'd love to play any real arcade machine anywhere, besides Ms Pacman/Galaga: Class of 1981 (which is good btw, but I long for something different) or some crappy late 90s games that nobody gives a flip about. Unfortunately, I live in Louisiana, and it's not like I can just drive to Twin Galaxies headquarters or the Las Vegas Pinball museum whenever I want to get my arcade fix. Edited by stardust4ever

You can still do that in 2013. Get a Satellite radio installed. Try Sirius/XM Classic Rewind (25) if you like classic rock, or 80s on 8 if you're a pop fan.

True dat! In 2008, I got a new car with included XM radio subscription. As I drove around listening to 80's on 8, I got this weird but wonderful feeling that it very well could be my teenaged old self driving around in the 80's in my Rabbit After a while the bubble burst but it was pretty cool .

If the machine was reliable enough, I'd take my kid back in time to show her what it was like when I was growing up. Or I'd take friends and family back for a literal nostalgia trip. Go to places that are long gone now, like a couple restaurants in town or the drive in movie theater my family used to frequent. Go to the local mall when it was bursting with activity. Go to a few old favorite stores to see if having fewer items available is better or if its just nostalgia (i kinda dislike large stores). And of course, go to an arcade or ten. Also take pictures or video/movies. Lots and lots of pictures and video. The urge to relive the past as an adult is strong but "realistically" it wouldn't be feasible (medication, registration, getting a job, etc).

Stuff like that. I can't see acquiring anything other than knowledge or experiencing things I couldn't due to age or fear.

• 1 month later...