IGNORED

Best solution for 80 column display?

Dude, you have some kind of serious paranoid delusional thing going on..

I'm not sure how you got "hate" (towards you or anyone else) from anything I said.

It is VERY TRUE that the XEP80 is a piss poor piece of shit for which NOONE should have been screwed out of their hard earned money.

If I have any bad will at all concerning this, it's towards the fools who ran ATARI during the latter half of the 80s. I remember reading the exact article you referenced.. As well as others in Atari Explorer and various other publications at the time. And then, when the guys at the user group Demo'd one and everyone hated it, that was the end of that. Many years later I bought one for a few bucks as a novelty. Wouldn't dream of trying to use it for any kind of productivity.. Nor would I advise anyone to try to do so. Its really THAT BAD..

As far as me getting pissed, giving you shit, having something crawling up my ass, hating you, having a bad day, taking things out on you, or blaming you personally for things Atari did back in the 80s...

I'm not sure where you came up with any of that delusional crap. I didn't say a single thing to attack you. If you can't have a discussion without being massively and personally offended when someone disagrees with something you said, then you are the one who needs to "chill out"..

Maybe I read too much into your statements, based on what appeared to be an overall adversity to the statement I made, it seemed to me as if you were calling me (between the lines) delusional like was defending the XEP 80 and was way off base for doing so. But the overall "feeling" I got from it was you were taking out your anger towards Atari on me personally. I'm sorry if I mistook your statements in that way and you didn't intend it. I guess it was just your intensity with the capital letters and obvious hatred toward the device seemed like you were attacking me like I was some idiot defending the device. I'm sorry I took it the wrong way, but that's the way it struck me, and the fact that I have no love for the device or for what Atari was doing in those days (we agree apparently), it seemed you were projecting your anger over it towards me for a misguided idea that I was defending the device.

Mostly it was the first line, suggesting I was taking what was said in the article as "gospel" that affronted me (because it's a pet-peeve of mine when so many people do take stuff as "gospel" just because it's written authoritatively and your suggesting I as doing this just pushed the right button to set me off), and then your continued damning of the device led me to the wrong conclusion in your over-all statements. I was just making a simple statement that I didn't think, from reading past articles, that it was merely the 65XE in Atari's bad design reasoning and making it work through the controller ports, and your making such a big deal out of the simple statement took me by surprise and shocked me.

I'll try to be less sensitive and not take things so personally, I do this because I try to speak honestly and not make statements of assumption, but based on experience, and when someone suggests otherwise it is taken personally by me. That's just the way I am, I'm honest, straight forward and proud of it, and when those traits of mine seem to not be believed I get very defensive. I'm just defending my honor and reputation. Again, I'm sorry.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Atari8warez: They sell them damn cheap from B&C, brand new, last I looked.. Many people have bought them just to shell-out and use the case to house some other device..

Gunstar: Like I said, I have reread my original post (the one you found offensive) and I can't find the slightest evidence of any sort of malice towards you. That's gonna be 100% on the perceptual end on your part, I'm afraid.. BTW.. Haven't we known eachother for years?? Why would you assume that I would all of a sudden be hell bent against you personally?

As far as the thing about "gospel truth", ANTIC had quite a habit of just taking whatever ATARI press released and printing it.. and then months down the road, it turns out to have been half-truths, or just out-right rumors.. That's part of the terrible support I was referring to that ATARI managed to provide for the 8-bit community.. The late 80s were pretty damn discouraging if you were an ATARI 8-bit user/owner/enthusiast..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Gunstar: Like I said, I have reread my original post (the one you found offensive) and I can't find the slightest evidence of any sort of malice towards you. That's gonna be 100% on the perceptual end on your part, I'm afraid.. BTW.. Haven't we known eachother for years?? Why would you assume that I would all of a sudden be hell bent against you personally?

As far as the thing about "gospel truth", ANTIC had quite a habit of just taking whatever ATARI press released and printing it.. and then months down the road, it turns out to have been half-truths, or just out-right rumors.. That's part of the terrible support I was referring to that ATARI managed to provide for the 8-bit community.. The late 80s were pretty damn discouraging if you were an ATARI 8-bit user/owner/enthusiast..

First paragraph; you are right, we have known each other for years, and as I said, you just happened to push the right (or wrong) button with the "taking it as gospel" statement (I edited that bit, so you may have missed my point about why you pushed the "wrong" button), and the fact it was coming from you shocked me even more, so I did assume too much, which is why I suggested you were mis-directing anger toward me personally. Again, I'm sorry, please forgive and forget and I promise not to get so defensive in the future, especially about statements coming from you.

Second paragraph; You are definitely preaching to the choir there were i am concerned, I agree 100%...I witnessed it all first hand.

Edited by Gunstar

One time, I read the article somewhere online about XEP80's capability to draw in color screenshot ? Is that true ? I would like to see the lovely color available from XEP80. Yes, I know it only product in black and white. XEP80 hardware does have the capability for color BUT the problem is software written in poor. I just wonder if anyone in the past had been written a better software to obtain in color screenshot ?

Pretty sure I got mine NIB for under $20. It's a POS, but I also have some 300 baud modems as well, so no snide comments :)

Hey if all else fails I could use the enclosure for another project as someone else mentioned earlier, for 20 bucks it's not worth the tears

This whole discussion gave me an idea for a new small project, but I have to think about it little more before i can discuss it here ;)

Edited by atari8warez

That really seems a bit high priced to me for the XEP and Atari Writer 80 considering one can get The Last Word processor with it's very good software 80 columns for free, and it's light-years better than Atari Writer as a word processor...I'd say only worth it for completest 8-bit collectors. Only if Flashjazzcat had a seperate software 80-column solution for use with other stuff like Turbo Basic and other application software...?

• Like 1

If you're a SpartaDOS X user, then Drac030's drivers should suffice. RC_GR8.SYS provides a soft 80 column mode, and can be made persistent using CON.SYS. Of course only software which writes to the screen via "E:" or uses the driver's RAWCON vector (the latter bypassing CON.SYS) will use the 80 column display.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

No, Claus is just referring to Ken's infamous tact.

Yeah. Except this time, that wasn't the case.. It's like I guess I have been such a brutal condescending ass for so long, that people instinctively get ready for a war any time I respond to something.

Edited by MEtalGuy66
  • Like 2

Yeah. Except this time, that wasn't the case.. It's like I guess I have been such a brutal condescending ass for so long, that people instinctively get ready for a war any time I respond to something.

Hey Ken if you thread lightly on the "ass" literature and try to show a bit more mental "flex", you may be pleasantly surprised by the results ;)

flashjazzcat ,

do you have an complete .ATR disk images of update XEP80 complete software with latest driver "RC_GR8.SYS" for color support within environmental XEP80 - 80 columns ?

I do not. Go here and here to obtain the latest SDX version and various display drivers. SDX has an XEP80 driver, but RC_GR8.SYS has nothing to do with that. It's a soft 80 column display driver.

• 5 years later...

I view the 8 bit as ideally a 40 column display - no desire to make it 80 however editing listings does feel like it could be done more easily in the PC editors.

I will seek to create a better Notepad++ formatting flavor which can work better with 8 bit files.

In Turbobasic just save them to a virtual HD folder using the LIST "H:output.bas" instead of using SAVE and then you can also convert ATASCII to ASCII using like Atari800WinPLus4.1 then your listings will be easily accessible in a PC editor giving you a lot more power to cut and paste and save code routines.
For the H: drive to work correctly I have had to launch Atari800WinPLus using Administrator permissions (I'm using windows 10 64 bit)

sample1ed.png