• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bump.

1> Anything new?

and more importantly,

2> I can't run any of these. Are you using illegal opcodes? How about a fixed version, or better yet, an 816 specific version?

Afaik,

all these GTIA beeper sounds work on a real A8, but they do not work with all emulators (e.g. they do not work with Atari 800 Win). On the A8 one has to use a gamedos or bootloader, since many of these GTIA sounds use low memory (e.G. $0C00), which therefore will not work with a DOS. Many of these GTIA beeper sounds can be found on early Proc Atari magazine disks, I used the gamedos Nano-DOS converter there and they work fine on 64k Ataris with standard XL/XE OS...

You can find one example here as a youtube video, scroll down a lot (27 Mar 2015), until you find "420 music for Atari 8Bit" taken from Proc Atari magazine disk nr.3: http://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1931&page=2

(Do not know, if these GTIA sounds work with 48k RAM, OS-A / OS-B, NTSC, etc. since I do not own such Ataris and rarely test this setup with emulators.)

Edited by CharlieChaplin

They sound good in the web player, but won't run on my computer.

Are you doing this intentionally to punish those who you feel are not running "true" Ataris because of a processor upgrade?

A processor upgrade means it is no longer a "true" unmodified Atari.

I understand GTIA music to be a little on the CPU-intensive side, so undocumented opcodes were almost certainly used to save cycles rather than for any nefarious reasons.

That's understandable. If that is the case, then they should release the source code so those with 802s and 816s could modify it for use on their processors.

So is a memory upgrade.

So is a dual PoKey upgrade.

The list goes on...

Using your kind of perverted logic, most of us here wouldn't have a "true" Atari.

Could you please stop mixing up things?

A RAM Expansion is a part of the A8, as the Computer's design was based on that!

A Second POKEY ... well... it's not A8, just early expansion boards used it and a 2nd POKEY could run on Cartridge, but it doesn't make things better.

A 16 Bit CPU changes the computer into something completely different. If you allow a 16 Bit processor, you could also use a VGA Card and a Soundblaster card... or just exchange everything to a modern PC...

• Like 1

Could you please stop mixing up things?

A RAM Expansion is a part of the A8, as the Computer's design was based on that!

A Second POKEY ... well... it's not A8, just early expansion boards used it and a 2nd POKEY could run on Cartridge, but it doesn't make things better.

A 16 Bit CPU changes the computer into something completely different. If you allow a 16 Bit processor, you could also use a VGA Card and a Soundblaster card... or just exchange everything to a modern PC...

Wow! You accuse me of mixing things up? My computer is not different. The 816 starts up in 6502 mode. It runs all properly written software. Please tell me exactly how to add a VGA card and a Soundblaster. I would really like to know.

By the way, is a Happy 1050 still a 1050?

How about an 800 with an Axlon card? Atari didn't design that mode of bank-switching.

Wow! You accuse me of mixing things up?

Just following your logic...

My computer is not different. The 816 starts up in 6502 mode. It runs all properly written software. Please tell me exactly how to add a VGA card and a Soundblaster. I would really like to know.

By the way, is a Happy 1050 still a 1050?

How about an 800 with an Axlon card? Atari didn't design that mode of bank-switching.

Does a Happy change the Hardware of the A8 ? No. Has it been forbidden to use a 57K Modem instead of 19.2K Modem?

To make my point of view more clear: An Atari 800XL has a 1.79MHz 8 Bit CPU, One ANTIC, ONE GTIA, one POKEY... but, as soon as you plug in a game cartridge , possibly 16K, the A8 has 80K available, not just 64K.... What's plugged onto the SIO is peripheral ... the real weird stuff is the low usage of proper page flipping in games.

Edited by emkay

The real issue with the illegal opcodes and CPU upgrades seems to me that the CPU upgrade breaks backward compatibility (with the illegal opcodes) in a way which a RAM upgrade, dual Pokey, VBXE, etc, typically does not. Now, whether illegal opcodes in themselves represent a standard or a state of compatibility which can be broken is another question entirely.

• Like 1