IGNORED

Tritone (GTIA beeper engine)

xxl

Exactly. So if you know how to detect it, why not take advantage of the expanded set of legal instructions? That would make everyone happy.

Also, the use of double and triple NOPs for cycle timing only means (to me anyway) that the programmer is taking extra steps to obfuscate his code and make it more difficult to repair it for use on other CPUs. I can see someone using SAX for example to save a byte and a few cycles in a critical area if there is no other way, but those who use as many illegals as humanly possible should be horsewhipped (IMHO).

Btw... Atari never released officially a 65816 or 6502c card or expansion so I would that call as hobby custom hardware... As drac030 even needed to patch the OS?

No problem to me, if people want to create a 16 Bit Atari with a VBXE and some additional OPL 2(3) and/or Digitizer chip. This would point to the missing part inbetween the 8 bits and the Amiga. But this is no Atari 800 . People could name it " Atari 800 VBXE" , making things more clear.

Btw... Atari never released officially a 65816 or 6502c card or expansion so I would that call as hobby custom hardware... As drac030 even needed to patch the OS?

You only need to patch the OS if you want to run in 16 bit mode. Everything works fine with a normal OS, including the new opcodes that replace the illegal ones.

Remember, the CPU starts up in 8 bit mode and stays there until it's told to switch to 16 bit mode.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by Kyle22

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...