IGNORED

Having problems with the power switch on my Jaguar...

ataridave

Sounds like a problem with the switches latching mechanism, your only options are to tape it down while in use, bypass it so that the Jaguar is permanently on and switch on/off from the wall socket (probably not a good idea) or to replace the switch. I seem to recall helping someone diagnose a switch that was only switching one pole but I can't remember if it was in this forum or the Jaguar forum but I think they managed to replace it buy just purchasing one of the same type (Double Pole, Double Throw (DPDT)) and size (Measure physical size to insure it will fit into the case and pin spacing to make sure it will fit into the PCB and compare to data sheets from electronic suppliers such as Newark/Farnell). Try searching for that post as it might mention which switch they used and where they purchased it.

Edited by Stephen Moss

Sounds like a problem with the switches latching mechanism, your only options are to tape it down while in use, bypass it so that the Jaguar is permanently on and switch on/off from the wall socket (probably not a good idea) or to replace the switch. I seem to recall helping someone diagnose a switch that was only switching one pole but I can't remember if it was in this forum or the Jaguar forum but I think they managed to replace it buy just purchasing one of the same type (Double Pole, Double Throw (DPDT)) and size (Measure physical size to insure it will fit into the case and pin spacing to make sure it will fit into the PCB and compare to data sheets from electronic suppliers such as Newark/Farnell). Try searching for that post as it might mention which switch they used and where they purchased it.

OK, thanks! If I open up my Jaguar, do I need a special kind of screwdriver? Like a really small kind that you get at hobbyist stores? Also, would it work for me to just pop the red switch cover out, and then just use whatever swich is underneath that? If I go the tape route, should I use duct tape? I just don't want to cosmetically mess up my Jaguar.

Edited by ataridave

The switch is worn out. You just need to replace it. Do not put tape on it. The adhesive residue will stick to the console and gunk up the red switch button and housing itself. You'll need a small Phillips screwdriver to open it, if i remember right. Then you'll need a soldering iron, de-soldering pump, solder, and a new switch. About a half an hour to 45 mins of work if your new to this, about 10 mins if you are experienced. If this is your first time, I'd suggest practicing de-soldering on some perf board first to get the hang of it.

Edited by linuxfanman

The switch is worn out. You just need to replace it. Do not put tape on it. The adhesive residue will stick to the console and gunk up the switch itself. You'll need a small Phillips screwdriver to open it, if i remember right. Then you'll need a soldering iron, de-soldering pump, solder, and a new switch. About a half an hour to 45 mins of work if your new to this, about 10 mins if you are experienced. If this is your first time, I'd suggest practicing de-soldering on some perf board first to get the hang of it.

OK, well thanks for that info!

Well, I asked in the wanted section for someone who can repair my Jaguar. If I can't get it fixed, then I'll throw it out; I don't want to spend the money on a Jaguar on Ebay or Amazon.com

Hey AtariDave. I love the Jaguar and would give it a good home if that was the case. On the other hand there is a guy down the street that fixes electronic Items maybe he could fix it cheaper than it would cost to buy a new one. I am not sure of that but it might be worth a try.

My email is greencoman@verizon.net. I am not usually on here as of late but maybe I or someone else can help you out. Alot of guys do their own repairs so I am suprised no one has volunteered to help you.

Hey AtariDave. I love the Jaguar and would give it a good home if that was the case. On the other hand there is a guy down the street that fixes electronic Items maybe he could fix it cheaper than it would cost to buy a new one. I am not sure of that but it might be worth a try.

My email is greencoman@verizon.net. I am not usually on here as of late but maybe I or someone else can help you out. Alot of guys do their own repairs so I am suprised no one has volunteered to help you.

I appeciate the reply! I did get a PM from a guy on here who said $20 plus shipping back to me-I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not, because I don't know how much shipping my Jaguar to Tennessee will cost. And I don't know how much it'll cost for him to ship it back to me. While I appreciate your offer as well, my Dad's been suggesting that I just take it into an electronics repair store here in Denver-but I'm not sure-unless I printed out the directions in this thread, if any electronics repair store would be able to do it right. :?

Edited by ataridave

I appeciate the reply! I did get a PM from a guy on here who said $20 plus shipping back to me-I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not, because I don't know how much shipping my Jaguar to Tennessee will cost. And I don't know how much it'll cost for him to ship it back to me. While I appreciate your offer as well, my Dad's been suggesting that I just take it into an electronics repair store here in Denver-but I'm not sure-unless I printed out the directions in this thread, if any electronics repair store would be able to do it right. :?

It is worth a try. The guy just down around the corner fixed both Gameboys with worst issues for me so I am assuming something like this would be cheap.

Going rate for shipping should not cost you more that 15 both ways so tack on 30 to the 20 he offered and your at 50 right there. Thing is I was just hoping that you would keep it actually since it is a good system.

I wish you well AtariDave I hope you get it repaired.

OK, the power switch works perfectly! :) Last night, I unscrewed the top off the Jaguar, and found that the white power switch that's underneath the big red one worked perfectly! So I put the top back, without any of the 4 screws in, and the red switch connects to it just fine! :) I don't understand it, except that one of the 4 screws was shorter then the others, so maybe it was a mistake on Atari's part? Whatever, I played some Jaguar last night for the first time in weeks, and I'm back into it! :)

Edited by ataridave

OK, the power switch works perfectly! :) Last night, I unscrewed the top off the Jaguar, and found that the white power switch that's underneath the big red one worked perfectly! So I put the top back, without any of the 4 screws in, and the red switch connects to it just fine! :) I don't understand it, except that one of the 4 screws was shorter then the others, so maybe it was a mistake on Atari's part? Whatever, I played some Jaguar last night for the first time in weeks, and I'm back into it! :)

That is great news, enjoy your system (hope you don't regret selling me the 2 games).