IGNORED

Atari 800 Mario Brothers - Unreleased?

Is it true that the Mario Bros. (1983) port for the Atari XL computers was never actually released?

If so, then that means there were virtually no official computer-based ports of MB at all, at least not here in the USA (prior to the 1988 Atari XEGS port, which itself was an improvement on the original 5200 cartridge port and with audio inspired by the Nintendo FamiCom/NES version of the same game).

It would also mean that the so-called "XL" ports of the game I'm seeing was just the 5200 console version's ROM burned onto other media.

The unreleased pre-1984 ports (USA):

Atari XL (just a transfer from the 5200)

Apple II (partially finished)

Commodore 64 (finished)

Pre-1984 ports of Mario Bros. that were released in the USA:

Atari 2600

Atari 5200

Post-1984 ports (USA availability):

Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) (also was a bonus mini-game within Super Mario Bros. 3)

Atari 7800

Atari XEGS

Super Nintendo Entertainment System (as a bonus mini-game within Super Mario Bros. 3)

Game Boy Advance (as a bonus game on all four Super Mario Advance titles, and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga)

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

From what I've learned they ported the 5200 over to the 8 bit but due to the crash of 83 it was shelved. When the xegs came out a few other titles were taken off the selves and released. Crystal castles is one title that comes to mind. For some reason I guess Atari thought it aged badly from 83 to 88 and redid the whole game. Yet the title screen still shows the the * and # that was found on the controllers for the 5200

You're right, ColecoFan1981, the 5200 version of Mario Bros. was never released on the 8-bits by Atari. To this day no prototype cartridge has been found, so it is unclear if Atari even started to port the game to the 8-bits.

The version Scooter83 refers to is an unofficial hack made by Glenn the 5200 Man.

Edited by Kr0tki

There's a prototype version of Mario Bros. for the 8-bit floating around. I did a review on it: http://www.atariprot...s/mariobros.htm

A pre-production box exists as well (a large silver one), you can see if in the background of one of the CES pictures.

Also, I think the Apple II version was complete (although not released). I played the hell out of that one back in the day and never found any bugs or missing features.

• Like 1

Are you sure mb was a bonus with smb3??? I think that is true for the gameboy advance port, but I don't recall seeing it on nes or snes (snes version is in the collection package)

I recall playing it in the NES version and I've never played the GameBoy Advance version.

You're right, ColecoFan1981, the 5200 version of Mario Bros. was never released on the 8-bits by Atari. To this day no prototype cartridge has been found, so it is unclear if Atari even started to port the game to the 8-bits.

The version Scooter83 refers to is an unofficial hack made by Glenn the 5200 Man.

I thought the original 8 bit program was model RX8051 which was a 5200 cross over. and then shelved and reprogrammed again and finally released RX8103 part number. I thought. :/

I thought the original 8 bit program was model RX8051 which was a 5200 cross over. and then shelved and reprogrammed again and finally released RX8103 part number. I thought. :/

That's my understanding. It was programmed on the 5200 and then ported to the 8-bit when it was done, but not released. The XE release by Sculptured Software is a completely different (and much better) version.

There's a prototype version of Mario Bros. for the 8-bit floating around. I did a review on it: http://www.atariprot...s/mariobros.htm

Tempest, the only version I've ever seen "in the wild" is the one by Glenn. The highlighed text on the title screen that you've mentioned in your review is actually a feature typical of Glenn's conversions (it also exists in Glenn's conversion of Moon Patrol). Are you sure that you didn't mistakenly review the Glenn's version? The collection you published last year does not contain the Mario Bros. ROM.

The highlighed text on the title screen that you've mentioned in your review is actually a feature typical of Glenn's conversions (it also exists in Glenn's conversion of Moon Patrol). Are you sure that you didn't mistakenly review the Glenn's version?

It's possible I suppose, I'm not sure where I got the rom from. Why did he do a conversion of Moon Patrol when the game was officially released on the 5200?

• 2 months later...

You're not missing much, the perfectly acceptable port to the C64 by Ocean software proves that, compared to other C64 games at least, Mario Bros is a game that is a £1.99 budget game at best and even then it is vastly inferior to 100s of superlative £1.99 C64 games like Thrust/Slicks/Park Patrol/Panther/Action Biker....etc etc

It's worth a fortune but I will never load it up again in my life lol

I love the Arcade version on my Mame machine, but i could try the A8 version on Altirra for comparison,

Its a nice looking package non-the-less!

Ps - Action Biker - my first 'bought' game back in '84/85 - (no i didnt nick them before that either!)

Edited by Magic Knight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Well does anybody have a screenshot of the demo version of mariobros for the atari 400??? Is there any screen shot of a physical prototype of that game in cartride form along with it’s silver box art??

also i really hope that atari’s version has been dumped online somewhere, i know that there is an unofficial howbrewed 5200 to 400 port of that game but it will not work on a stock atari 400,wich matters me alot because i want to keep my 400 original,the way how it was designed and intended,no soldering stuff should be allowed other then plug & use modules in my opinion,

So  i suppose that that 5200 to 400 homebrew port of mariobros just uses a simple patch to line up those different adress registers/memory locations with each other (some memory adress risters/locations from both the atari 5200 and 400 do differ from each other) to make that game work on the atari 400 BUT that patch will also add up to the size of the rom,thus increasing it from 16KB to 20KB thus it no longer will not work on a 16KB atari 400,so it requires a 48KB upgrade,
HOWEVER i suppose that once atari ported tmariobros from the 5200 to the atari 400,they probably changed those adress registerers inside the rom itself rather then patching it in order to keep the game size within that 16KB range to save on memory space if am not mistaken sothat it will run on 16KB atari 400,BUT that version of that game was never released,if so then atari’s port should run on a stock atari 400,now if only that atari rom version of mariobros being 16KB for the 400 still does exist and somebody somewhere on this planet could put it online,i will be all over it sothat i could run it trough a flashcard on my atari 400,or let there be repros of that 16KB version of mariobros for the atari 400,then i will be jumping all over the place out of happyness😁