IGNORED

Alamogordo approves Atari excavation

Random Terrain

I think so, this guy says he saw the goods buried in the Alamogordo landfill however in the ET landfill thread we learned...

"Ray Kassar's statement of 3.5 million out of the 5 million produced was returned was correct, and they were burried in a landfill along with a lot of the other stock from the major distribution centers across the country; however it wasn't in New Mexico."

So if those millions of ETs weren't buried in New Mexico according to one source, and they were buried in Alamogordo according to this source, then I would have to think someone was lying or maybe confused.

I think you're confusing two different things. What the article is alluding to and what he actually states in the quote. His statement backs exactly what we talked about in the other thread. He in no way states it was an E.T. dump, he describes exactly what was reported in the newspaper back then as well. That it was a lot of hardware and a variety of games that was dumped there. It's the article that's quoting him that's alluding to it being an E.T. dump, and it's a lot of the PR surrounding this that is. And it's quite frustrating to see it.

As I stated before, the dump there was simply a clearing out of Atari's Texas manufacturing plant as it transitioned to automated production methods and a focus on personal computer manufacturing. It had previously been one of the main plants for manufacturing of game cartridges and other hardware, and game manufacturing was being moved overseas to China. As part of the transition the unused stock of a group of titles (not just E.T.), console parts and computer parts from that plant were all dumped there in New Mexico. And that's exactly what he's stating he remembers part of dumping:

"It was the game systems, actually the game systems themselves it was actual cartridges and games, ET and so on"

• Like 1

I think you're confusing two different things.

You might be right. Set me straight. I read this at the beginning of the thread..."create a documentary surrounding the Alamogordo landfill legend." The legend is that millions and millions of E.T. carts, a game that sucked so bad most people returned, were buried in Alamogordo. That is the legend and it's a story that's been told since the 80's. So you are saying that these millions of E.T. carts were buried in the Alamogordo landfill? The way I took your quote was that millions of E.T. carts were buried, but not in Alamogordo.

Edit : Updated to reflect the fact that the quote was Marty's not Ray's. Although the info about the landfill is the same.

Please Moycon, not again. It's like we're reading two completely different things or you're not actually reading what I just said.

You might be right. Set me straight. I read this at the beginning of the thread..."create a documentary surrounding the Alamogordo landfill legend." The legend is that millions and millions of E.T. carts, a game that sucked so bad most people returned, were buried in Alamogordo. That is the legend and it's a story that's been told since the 80's

Which is what I just said as well. " It's the article that's quoting him that's alluding to it being an E.T. dump, and it's a lot of the PR surrounding this that is."

So you are saying that these millions of E.T. carts were buried in the Alamogordo landfill?

Where on earth are you pulling that from? I've never said Alamogordo is an ET dump, even in the other thread. In fact I've been trying to fight that nonsense and tell what it actually was:

"the dump there was simply a clearing out of Atari's Texas manufacturing plant as it transitioned to automated production methods and a focus on personal computer manufacturing. It had previously been one of the main plants for manufacturing of game cartridges and other hardware, and game manufacturing was being moved overseas to China. As part of the transition the unused stock of a group of titles (not just E.T.), console parts and computer parts from that plant were all dumped there in New Mexico."

The way I took Ray's quote was that millions of E.T. carts were buried, but not in Alamogordo.

A) The quote I was referring to in my previous post was the garbage man's quote that was in the current article. B) What you repeated was not Ray's quote, it was a quote of me stating that Ray's quote on 3.5 out of 5 million returned was correct (via the documentation we have) and then I stated the mass burial of overstock from all of Atari's warehouses across the country was in Sunnyvale (again, not specifically an ET dump, it was a lot of titles - including ET - and hardware). Leonard Tramiel also verified that they were told about the dumping of overstock, which included all the ET overstock, during the transition in July when they were working with Atari and Warner executives those first few weeks.

You're not setting me straight by replying with long confusing responses.

You suggested I was confused. Answer this yes or no and I will tell you if I was confused.

The legends is that millions of E.T. carts were buried in Alamogordo. Are millions of E.T. carts buried in the Alamogordo landfill?

What bothers me about this, is that it perpetuates the myth of how E.T. was the "worst Atari game ever made" and it "was responsible for the collapse of the home video game industry". Quoting from the PC Magazine article here: http://www.pcmag.com...,2419808,00.asp. . .

Yes, it's not a terrible game. I can think of much worse things that appeared on the 2600. My 8 yr old daughter recently played this and she rather liked it. On the other hand, I also had her watch the Spielberg movie and ET seriously creeped her out.

You're not helping by replying with long confusing responses.

If they seem confused to you, it's because they were attempting to respond to a post that seemed very confused.

Answer this yes or no and I will tell you if I was confused.

Are millions of E.T. carts buried in the Alamogordo landfill?

Wow, really? "I've never said Alamogordo is an ET dump" isn't clear enough as a no answer?

Ok well I didn't think I was confused, but I guess I am now. My original statements were directed to the fact I thought the millions of ET carts were NOT buried in Alomogordo, it's a simple as that. It looks to me based on your responses that you support that, and yet you think I'm severely confused. So be it.

Is that you in your avatar? For a second I thought it was Steve Lukather.

All I wanna do is to find a bunch of ET carts in a garbage dump

Alamogordo, Alamogordo

I never thought that legend was true but I'll give it shot

Alamogo-o-ordo

[cue Bobby Kimball]

Seems like nothing more then a publicity stunt. I've read the chapter in Atari Inc talking about this and it confirms all of the other evidence over the years. People still think there are millions of ET games dumped here cause a few kids found some. In fact, Marty and Curt mention in the book that they KNOW where all of Atari's overstock was dumped at, a dump somewhere in Sunnyvale, but promised not to give out the exact location. At the time I was like 'Really, who is going to bother trying to dig up a garbage site?' but now after reading this story I know better. :D I'm sure at some later year we'll find out where it is, just like we finally found out who Deep Throat was. It does raise a whole mess of questions, though -- how much stock was finally dumped in the NM dump? How much was dumped in the Sunnyvale one? Just how many millions of Atari games were produced that led them to conclude it was better in all ways to just dump the product like this, when even today we're still finding NOS? Why dump them as opposed to some other measure, like shipping them overseas like Mattell did with INTV stuff? What was actually dumped at the NM and Sunnyvale areas? At least if they find the dump site here in NM it will answer a few of those questions. :)

At least if they find the dump site here in NM it will answer a few of those questions. :)

No matter what they find, even if everything has been crushed down to tiny pieces, that stuff could be put in necklaces and bracelets and sold to thousands or maybe millions of people who want to own something from the famous landfill. The necklaces and bracelets might look similar to the images below, except they'd have bits of plastic and broken computer chips instead of clovers:

post-13-0-10067500-1370131658_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-60925800-1370131701_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

No matter what they find, even if everything has been crushed, that stuff could be put in necklaces and bracelets and sold to thousands or maybe millions of people who want to own something from the famous landfill. The necklaces and bracelets might look similar to the images below, except they'd have bits of plastic and broken computer chips instead of clovers:

post-13-0-10067500-1370131658_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-60925800-1370131701_thumb.jpg

Or this...

il_570xN.327152282.jpg

• Like 4

No matter what they find, even if everything has been crushed down to tiny pieces, that stuff could be put in necklaces and bracelets and sold to thousands or maybe millions of people who want to own something from the famous landfill.

Sounds like a Kickstarter project in the making to me.

• Like 1

Is that you in your avatar? For a second I thought it was Steve Lukather.

I'll take that as a compliment, thank you! Steve Lukather rocks! His solo in Toto's "Hold the Line" is both melodic and edgy. I never noticed the similarity before, but if he's making a serious face, I can see some likeness in the eyes and nose...

post-12574-0-61245100-1370137524_thumb.jpg