IGNORED

Alamogordo approves Atari excavation

Random Terrain

I say we start a kickstarter for a combination ET Dump/Swordquest Sword commemorative plate in the style of those Franklin mint plates:

The clay used to make the plates can include dirt from the landfill itself. I'm sure once fired in a kiln, there will probably be very little smell or risk of contaminants left.

I've been to Alamogordo before, back in 1983 or something like that. Visited the white sands and the space museum there. Interesting place. Interested to see how this all plays out.

But are you any good at playing the guitar? :D

Only 49 pages to go before this thread catches up to the other one!

post-13-0-16906500-1370143370_thumb.png

• Like 1

Finally after all this time, we can find out if there was ever any truth to the story or if it was just the stuff of legend. I really do hope that they find them there. Would be kind of boring if they dig in the area where it is supposed to be and find nothing of interest

Finally after all this time, we can find out if there was ever any truth to the story or if it was just the stuff of legend. I really do hope that they find them there. Would be kind of boring if they dig in the area where it is supposed to be and find nothing of interest

This has already been cleared up. There's no mystery.

Kinda funny this has come up. My father "winters" in Alamogordo every year. I told him the story of the buried cartridges a while ago. He has nearly hiked that entire region (literally). They had better have a pretty good idea where these are buried at or they "ain’t never gonna find 'em" quoted Pops.

I imagine tho, they could use some kind of ground penetrating sonar or such if they get an approximate geographical location. Even if they were capped by concrete. I highly doubt the local dump guys or contractors took any special care in completely eliminating all traces of the "Atari trash".

Which brings up another question. Did these have their own special "hole" that was dug and used (which would surprise me) or were they buried along with the local municipalities garbage and then capped? I've seen first hand what an 25+ year excavated dump site looks like. I don’t think people realize just how much crap goes into a local landfill or really how large they can get. Even for a smaller, less populated county (approx 45000 in 1980's) the amount of garbage in these is absolutely incredible. Now granted its a lot drier down there but you would be shocked at how much things can deteriorate underground. Especially if this stuff was buried with organic items.

Now if they did have there own site, then you would think that they would be fairly easy to find with all the zoning, parcels of land, tracts, permits and what not. All that info would be recorded in the local county court house...

I am betting there is nothing down there and it has all been a diversion. All that crap, if there really was any, and if it didn't get melted down in Cali. is in several cement filled shipping containers just outside the U.S. zone of territory off the California coast. Like someone said earlier, there is no way in hell Atari would ever have wanted this stuff found again.

Are you positive?

I actually watched that when it was on TV the first time. I lost interest in Geraldo right after that. Most doctors and scientists would call that a coincidence. Others would blame it on aliens!

Same here. I remember watching that live when I was a kid and thinking that's it? What was the big deal all about? This however, I'd watch live!

• Like 1

Speaking of Canada, when is the USA going to stop farting around and add 12 more states to the union? Seems like every other TV star or movie star in the USA is Canadian, and it looks like over half of the stuff we watch is filmed in Canada, so let's absorb Canada and finally become one nation.

Maybe it'll go the other way around since our dollar is worth about the same.

• Like 1

Same here. I remember watching that live when I was a kid and thinking that's it? What was the big deal all about? This however, I'd watch live!

Man, a blast from the past. Geraldo and Al Capone's vault. Yeppers, I watched it live too. I would watch this dig live if it happened that way. I love being disappointed!

I would say everything would be worthless junk in this landfill but a few years back I met a guy that drills out old outhouses from the 1800's looking for "treasure" lol. Supposedly he finds all kinds of crap (not literal, well I guess sort of, lol) so maybe there will be something salvagable. In these "pits" Its all going to be overstock that dozens of ebay sellers already have hundreds of but would still be fun anyways. I would volunteer if I was local :)

Edited by Crazy Climber

I thought the dump contained more than just E.T. carts? I also heard they were crushed and covered with cement. Better bring a jack hammer.

It was a wide selection of carts and hardware (consoles and computers). It was not an "E.T. Dump."

For those interested:

Debunking the Myth of the Buried Atari E.T. Cartridges

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419949,00.asp

• Like 2

Whatever, :roll: I'll believe it when i see it. Like what happened to the supposed Atari movie starring Leo DiCaprio? yeah sure :lolblue: :rolling:. I sure hope it does goes through so the subject can be put to rest.

Even if they don't find millions of ET carts, the legend will live on. They can find broken atari consoles, or they can find nothing and it won't die.

It doesn't matter if a couple of guys say it doesn't exist and never did,and remind everyone they know of that fact every chance they get.

Absence of hard evidence won't prove it never happened in the minds of many.

Why do you think after so many decades people are still looking for scientific evidence of Bigfoot?

It's because no matter how much evidence they don't find, there will still be believers.

Wanna bet in 2033 (50 year anniversary) a whole new excavation and documentary take place? :cool:

Really the only way it'll all end is if they DO find those ETs!!!

I would say everything would be worthless junk in this landfill but a few years back I met a guy that drills out old outhouses from the 1800's looking for "treasure" lol. Supposedly he finds all kinds of crap (not literal, well I guess sort of, lol) so maybe there will be something salvagable. In these "pits" Its all going to be overstock that dozens of ebay sellers already have hundreds of but would still be fun anyways. I would volunteer if I was local :)

I was given a lump of concrete in plastic case once and I still have it. It was a piece of the Berlin wall. So they can put these lumps of concrete with bits of black plastic in it in plastic and number them and make money!

We should get a sign up going for who wants an Official Limited numbered piece of Atari Landfill Trash in display case and for an extra $100, signed by Howard Scott Warshaw

Edited by Mot