IGNORED

Alamogordo approves Atari excavation

Random Terrain

I don't really understand why they would want to do this. It's not like they are excavating dinosaur bones or ancient ruins, it's crushed multimedia from the 1980s. It just seems like a massive waste of money and resources.

They will make a documentary film and make money with it.

I don't really understand why they would want to do this. It's not like they are excavating dinosaur bones or ancient ruins, it's crushed multimedia from the 1980s. It just seems like a massive waste of money and resources.

You've just described the formula for "good" television.

• Like 1

"A Canadian-based multimedia entertainment company by the name of Fuel Industries plans on digging up the Alamogordo landfill in New Mexico, where Atari purportedly dumped truckloads of games decades ago"

as for the dig....thats cool, but what about the rerturn back to the states. police will prob stop u at the border...split all the cases open and plant dope in each game making it the largest imposter dope bust in mexico history. good luck

Uh, you DO know that New Mexico is in the U.S., right?

• Like 1

"A Canadian-based multimedia entertainment company by the name of Fuel Industries plans on digging up the Alamogordo landfill in New Mexico, where Atari purportedly dumped truckloads of games decades ago"

Uh, you DO know that New Mexico is in the U.S., right?

Are you an idiot? This is the same mentality that started the Canadian/American War that freed the slaves in 1812.. Duh. :P

• Like 1

Are you an idiot? This is the same mentality that started the Canadian/American War that freed the slaves in 1812.. Duh. :P

Yes, and we also know that General Custer loved to run across the desert buck naked in pursuit of poontang from native American women tied to cactus, all while dodging swarms of arrows... At least that's the way I remembered how it worked on my Atari! :rolling:
  • Like 3

Yes, and we also know that General Custer loved to run across the desert buck naked in pursuit of poontang from native American women tied to cactus, all while dodging swarms of arrows... At least that's the way I remembered how it worked on my Atari! :rolling:

I wouldnt want arrows shooting up my arse for the sake of doing an Indian!Well,maybe if it was a hot Madras.Hehehehe

Obviously they are trying to cash in on the Atari legend.As a famous person (Ozzy Osbourne) once said "There is no such thing as bad publicity"

This is the latest article that I could find:

polygon.com/2013/7/12/4517504/atari-et-landfill-fuel-entertainment

As I said in the commentary on that page when it first came out, there's no mystery. We already know what was there and why, just an emptying of the El Paso plant as it converted over to automated manufacturing and a focus on hardware as game manufacturing moved to the Asian plants. It dumped the unused and extra stock, which consisted of a plethora of games (not just ET) and hardware (computer and console). It was not a massive dumping of all the unsold ET stock. Even interviews with the kids that were digging out the stock before the concrete was poured have verified this, including the recent interview with one of the now grown up kids Mark Esquero. Likewise there are no prototypes there, that's silly speculation that appeared in a few more recent articles. El Paso was a manufacturing plant, i.e. finished and ready to make and distribute products. There was no development done in Texas, nor was El Paso a storage facility. All development was done where Atari's Consumer Division was actually located - in Sunnyvale. Unused prototypes of hardware were kept in various storage lockers at Atari in Sunnyvale and at the 1196 building (which is where the convention materials were stored), which is where most of the prototype hardware that collectors enjoy today were taken from during the splitting of the company in '84. (Which we'll be covering in the second book, having interviewed the former employees that pulled up vans and u-hauls to take the material).

As we were shown in the logs for that plant from the time: in that one month period for the El Paso plant the conversion to automation started, the staff of the plant was downsized, and the dumping occurred - which shows the full picture rather than just focusing on the dump being it's own instance, which lead to all this speculation. We were able to directly interview the person who oversaw all of Atari's manufacturing plants, and were lucky enough that he also kept his log/calendar books from the time. This allowed us to track the goings-on of all the manufacturing plants for the book, including the Asian plants and their trials and tribulations (including issues with the Triads), not just this one little happening with the El Paso plant.

As I said in the commentary on that page when it first came out, there's no mystery . . .

I'm guessing that he was asking if there is any updated news on the actual digging. I want to see photos or video of men wearing hard hats as they dig up or blow up the old landfill.