IGNORED

Bought an IBM Model 30 286 today for $1

I thought the Model 30 was an MCGA adapter, not a VGA.

That might cause havoc with games expecting an EGA or VGA.

I worked for IBM when they made the model 30, but declined the employee purchase of one due to the graphic adapter being crap.

Hope you get your game to run.

I thought the Model 30 was an MCGA adapter, not a VGA.

That might cause havoc with games expecting an EGA or VGA.

I worked for IBM when they made the model 30, but declined the employee purchase of one due to the graphic adapter being crap.

Hope you get your game to run.

I could care less what it has since I only paid a big $1 for it. It's bound to run some kind of games. Just can't remember what. Used these things in 88 and there were dos games and bootable games on 1.44 floppy but it's been a long time.

dig up a cd rom and ply 7th guest hehe

Yeah good luck with that. Even if you could find an external CD ROM drive and the requisite 8-bit ISA adapter to interface it, that game needed SVGA, something the Model 30 isn't going to do.

MCGA if it has it, is not that huge of a difference to VGA, most games would just toss some odd color pixels here and there

MCGA can do CGA modes and do mode 13H (320x200 pels in 256 colours). It cannot do EGA modes, VGA's 640*480*16 mode and it cannot do any of the VGA's hardware assisted functions, such as hardware scrolling. The MCGA adapter came with 64KB of RAM, whereas all but the earliest VGA cards came with 256KB. A game that used mode 13H for a static display would be okay, but anything more than that and more than likely it won't display anything.

Yeah good luck with that. Even if you could find an external CD ROM drive and the requisite 8-bit ISA adapter to interface it, that game needed SVGA, something the Model 30 isn't going to do.

odd I spent 5 years playing it in MCGA no probelm, infact it was the default setting .. and yea the model 30-286 was vga unless modified, the 8086 model 30 was MCGA

Edited by Osgeld

It is VGA (not SVGA). It is 80286 10Mhz, and ISA (not MCA) bus.

So its a 16-bit ISA bus? Okay that might explain getting some more advanced games to run. Third party SVGA 16-bit ISA cards were pretty common and popular.

I've attached a couple of files in case the owner wants to get the full spec. One is an old IBM internal only tool we used to use from the Poughkeepsie Tools Disk called CONFIG. It will dump out version and RAM information and compare the speed to a 6Mhz AT.

The second is CHECKIT which does some similar things. A non IBM tools but it also includes some test features.

CONFIG.zip

CHECKIT.zip

• Like 1

So its a 16-bit ISA bus? Okay that might explain getting some more advanced games to run. Third party SVGA 16-bit ISA cards were pretty common and popular.

I've attached a couple of files in case the owner wants to get the full spec. One is an old IBM internal only tool we used to use from the Poughkeepsie Tools Disk called CONFIG. It will dump out version and RAM information and compare the speed to a 6Mhz AT.

The second is CHECKIT which does some similar things. A non IBM tools but it also includes some test features.

Cool. :)