IGNORED

Rapidus Accelerator (rev.1c) for Atari XL/XE

Tezz

rev.1b had the FT245R controller that enabled USB slave connection with the PC. Proper software on both sides implementing common protocol enabled e.g. controlling the Atari from the PC, transferring data etc. Peak stable transfer from PC to Atari was around 650 kB/s.

• Like 1

Phaeron, would this not be reasonably simple to reproduce on Altirra almost as a preset?

You already support the 65C816 and just a speed alteration from the speed menu does all this or is there more?

Edited by Mclaneinc

Does this upgrade have an onboard OS or comes supplied with one (on disk/CD)

If not will it work with turbo o/s (the one that came supplied with turbo 8/16, the original '816' upgrade by dataque) or that Polish OS...forgot what it was called (dunno of any other 3rd party 816 based o/s's out there, i am sure there are some)

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing the dramatic improvement on the Spectrum emulator, sparks a selfish desire in me to see how this might affect a game like Flight Simulator II. If there were a proportional increase in speed, it would turn it from a novelty, to something almost enjoyable for an 8bit machine. ;)

Well, it's true there is no VBI, but syncing to the screen was possible on the Apple ][ series by reading the video display contents on the "floating bus", and that could also be augmented by storing some easy to recognize values into the screen display "holes", regions of RAM that get scanned but not displayed.

The //e and C have a VBLANK signal which makes things easier. Just compute it, then wait for VBLANK, compute it again, etc...

Whether or not games actually did this, or relied on page flipping is another discussion. Many didn't use it, simply because the page flip worked well, or the overall FPS was low enough to make a simple page flip work, particularly on the slow phosphor "business" screens so many users used. Those are typically the monochrome, green, amber and grey phospher displays, not home TV sets, which we all know can and will display a lot of flicker.

• 6 months later...

I took a look at the dev's YT channel this morning and saw this update from last month. very impressive.

Edit: embedding is disabled, you'll have to check it out directly @ YT

ZX Spectrum Emulator written by Konrad Kokoszkiewicz (KMK) for Atari 8-bit computer equipped with 65c816@16MHz microprocessor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcwx3JtruLM

Edited by Tezz
  • Like 3

Yep, I think the Z80 engine there is already fairly well debugged and optimized. Of course, this is not a "real" emulator, i.e. not cycle-exact. It simply executes Z80 opcodes as fast as it can. Many programs (including Sinclair BASIC) are fine with that. More advanced music tunes, however, which rely on precise timings, do not sound well.

The only programs which do not work are ZX Spectrum games which rely on attributes to mask "unnecessary" parts of the screen. Such a program technically works, but looks messy.

Also, the program actualy also works on Altirra, just a little bit slower (Altirra emulates "only" 14 MHz, whereas the accelerator runs at 16 MHz) and tunes sound a bit harsh: in Rapidus, from what I understand, Antic does not interrupt the CPU as long as it runs in fast RAM, so internal emulator timings are stabler which has a positive, audible effect on the sounds.

• Like 1

Yes, if your 1200XL has XL OS and MPD and ExtSel signals are available, Rapidus should work.

VBXE is fine. In one of my testing machines I have VBXE 1.0 and have no problems.

The stability issues may be observed if you have many HW expansions, where data and address lines are overloaded. Special adapter with signal buffering should help in this case.

would i have troubles on an XEGS with stereo, vbxe 2.1 and U1mb ?

is the "special Adapter" needed in that case ?

Thanks for the info on it drac, is it available for download so I can check it out on Altirra?

Well, the program is not finished, especially the user interface is very rough. Also, to load a program you will need a DOS with command line interface, preferably SpartaDOS (I was too lazy to code a file selector, sorry). Next, the program does not accept the most popular program storage in ZX Spectrum world, i.e. TAP files: one can only load emulator snapshots, *.SNA and *.Z80. There is no possibility currently to save a snapshot either.

Only the basic model of the Spectrum is emulated, i.e. ZX Spectrum 48k.

If one can live with these limitations, then below I am including the program itself (as ZX06.ZIP) and some example games (ZXGAMES.ZIP). All of them are available through World of Spectrum, so there should be no problem with copyright.

When the program is ran without any parameters, or the Z80 engine is reset ("Init Z80" in the menu is selected), after the emulation is started the program will enter Sinclair BASIC.

EDIT: the program also requires an OS which allows to enter 65C816 native mode. This one http://drac030.krap.pl/en-pliki.php (but Turbo816 OS should work as well).

zx06.zip

zxgames.zip

Edited by drac030
  • Like 3

This is nice emulator of ZX Spectrum for 16-bit Atari, not for 8-bit. :( So, this is emulator working in emulator :( But it is nice. I would like see emulator for native Atari (like Apple ][ emulator, zXEmulator or PETAri emulator), not for 16-bit putted into 8-bit machine only :(

This is nice emulator of ZX Spectrum for 16-bit Atari, not for 8-bit. :( So, this is emulator working in emulator :( But it is nice. I would like see emulator for native Atari (like Apple ][ emulator, zXEmulator or PETAri emulator), not for 16-bit putted into 8-bit machine only :(

Sikor,

This topic is for Rapidus Accelerator for Atari8 bit.

Not for Atari st.. 16bit .Rapidus is for Atari 8bit...

Draco great works!

@As, rapidus unfortunately has 16-bit like processor: 65816. Yes, it can work in 6502 EMULATOR MODE (see manual of 65816), it is not native mode for it. And 640KB linear RAM is not native for 6502C processor mounted in Atari XL/XE series. So - unfortunately - it is emulator for 16-bit hardware emulator of 8-bit Atari :/ So, it isn't emulator for 8-bit Atari - but for 16-bit emulator, which imitate 8-bit Atari only by Cover and originalMotherboard, but not in RAM, Processor - so, heart of 8-bit atari was killed for this program. For run it you must translate it to 16-bit emulator. So, please, remove it for 16-bit software :/

And yes, emulator is great. But unfortunately don't go on real 8-bit Atari :/

And we seem to be back again to "what constitutes an 8-bit Atari?"

I did try this on Bob1200XL's XL14 accelerator with the KMK 65816 OS, but it has only (I think) 384 KB of free linear ram (not used by the system), so it fails. (I know it has less than 640K.)

@Drac030: can it run in less -- mainly for testing purposes?

-Larry

@Sikor

Real 6502 you are always physically on boar atari 8bit.

For example, Falcon who has 060 on board , is not real Falcon yes?

But anytime if i turn off accelerator ct63, Falcon return to stock. Yes ? (YES!!! is stock Falcon)
In real Atari 8it i turn off this accelerators i return to stock Atari 8bit? (yes 6502 is still on board, this same vs Falcon...)!