IGNORED

Rapidus Accelerator (rev.1c) for Atari XL/XE

Tezz

Hello guys

Atari started it!

They started with the CTIA, then upgraded to GTIA.

They had a 400 which only had 16kB and an 800kB with 48kB.

Then they had the 1200XL, which didn't have the right cartridge.

Then the 600XL/800XL came out, which had a slightly updated OS. And a PBI port.

Then the 65XE and the 130XE came out. The 65XE (US version) didn't have a PBI port of an ECI. The 130XE had the ECI, which was different from the XL's parallelport and had 64kB of extra RAM.

If we'd have to restrict ourselves to the use of software that will run on the 400 with CTIA, where would we be today?

Even with the VBXE, 1MB (or more), 65816, dual Pokey, etc. deep inside it's still an 8 bit Atari. And it still runs 8 bit Atari software.

Sincerely

Mathy (who strongly believes we need more software that uses 1MB upgrades, dual Pokeys, etc.)

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet. First of all I have to test newer revision of Rapidus and then we will see. Right now I'm waiting for the delivery of new PCBs (ordered 2 days ago), then soldering and trying to run it. I hope to know everithing whithin 1-2 months.

9668944700_1391709787.png

8082031900_1391709848.png

• Like 9

An outgrowth of the F7 accelerator board that had a few prototypes made around 2005?

I remember there was a YouTube video of "Black at 14 MHz" demo posted back about that time.

The fact that it is compatible with Ultimate 1 MB is very nice. Can it shift speeds, and if so, while running?

-Larry

I would love to have a Rapidus, but I'm afraid it won't fit on the 800 CPU card. Will the F7 attached to the Incognito PBI port fit inside the 800 and allow the lid to close?

Also, is it technically possible to build it on a card that could plug in one of the now empty RAM slots on an Incognito machine? (Wishful thinking :) )

I would love to have a Rapidus, but I'm afraid it won't fit on the 800 CPU card. Will the F7 attached to the Incognito PBI port fit inside the 800 and allow the lid to close?

Also, is it technically possible to build it on a card that could plug in one of the now empty RAM slots on an Incognito machine? (Wishful thinking :) )

Or, maybe design an accelerator AS a CPU card for the 800? Hmm......

• 7 years later...
On 2/6/2014 at 12:07 PM, pasiu said:

Not yet. First of all I have to test newer revision of Rapidus and then we will see. Right now I'm waiting for the delivery of new PCBs (ordered 2 days ago), then soldering and trying to run it. I hope to know everithing whithin 1-2 months.

9668944700_1391709787.png

8082031900_1391709848.png

Do you know the technical term for the connector at CON3? (lower-right, white, 3-pin) It looks similar to a JST connector but not quite...   (I have a second Rapidus I want to install in my other XL, which didn't come with the extra cables so I'm doing custom rigging and would rather get a proper connector than to solder...) 

Thank you much!

Edited by CommodoreDecker

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Would be interesting to see if the Rapidus Reset Bug™ manifests itself  with Incognito the same as it does with U1MB.

I've owned four Rapidus machines, and this is not limited to U1MB.

In fact, I've kind of given up on Rapidus at this point.  I don't know for certain the rapidus always has a reset bug in classic mode.  But U1MB is not required to have the issue.   My last two machines did not have u1mb, and still had the issue.

In case it helpls any, my 2016 machines were spec'd

1200xl, vbxe, u1mb, rapidus

800xl, vbx, u1mb, rapidus

2020 machines

130xe, vbxe, rapidus

130xe, vbxe, rapidus

Edited by Mark2008
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Another friend has the patent on that name. :)

I'm so relieved to know now that I didn't install those three wires wrongly.

Of course it wasn't the wires, it was your shit BIOS obviously :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, bob1200xl said:

What is this bug?

I know nothing about Rapidus, so be explicit...

Bob

My personal experience with reliability problems lead to troubleshooting that eventually led to having something reproducible to check - as Stephen says hitting the reset key sometimes does a cold boot in classic mode (classic mode being setting in rapidus that represents using the 6502c processor, not 65c816). That is what I can say confidently, all my rapidus systems have the issue. fair or not, that bug represents an unstable machine in my mind.  The experience on an unstable machine was miserable.   But this bug alone is what I reproduce.  The other instability was always random and not reproducible with any consistency. And fair to say unknown as to all possible causes.  

p.s.  i am trying to be accurate here but anyway real world i use 2 atari.  a 1200xl and a 130xe.  both are ex-rapidus and i would not add the rapidus back.  of course i would like a 65c816 but if it would stay out if the way when not in use, that might work.  kind of like if it had a working classic mode.  oh well

Edited by Mark2008

You should try an Antonia. It has all the 65C816 issues, wrapping memory to $01xxxx and illegal op codes, without the faster clocks. If it runs on Antonia, it should run on Rapidus. If it doesn't run on Antonia, it is not the Rapidus.

I have RESET problems with some 1200XLs. It is usually the timing capacitor in the RESET circuit allowing a RESET during RESET code - that causes a cold start.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 9:35 PM, Kyle22 said:

Nice NecroBump. I still want a Rapidus/VBXE CPU card for my 800 Incognito.

:)

Wasn't sure if to create a new thread or revive this one. My bad :blush: 

On 3/12/2021 at 2:15 PM, Stephen said:

Hmm - shall we rename it ©Rapidus now?

Possibly.  I have two units and haven't yet tested the other one yet, but have had fun problems when Rapidus starts in 65C816 mode in my 800XL --  after a delay, it goes into memory self-test and randomly fails ROM and RAM tests; each reboot is guaranteed to show different self-test failures - like both ROM segments being green or one red or both red depending on the power off/wait 10 seconds and show my hamster how to 20210329_164319.thumb.jpg.d00841817c14aa1520c71b646449cab5.jpgdance/power back on again. In 6502 mode everything runs smoothly. Regardless of CPU mode, in my 800XL, it will not run cartridges as it freezes instantly on powering up. Which is a tad depressing, was hoping to get Flight Simn II and Rescue on Fractalus zooming along...   pretty sure I didn't fry the motherboard with the soldering iron...

But the 800XL I am testing on is revison 1A and has a RamboXL RAM expansion on it.  I should try setting up the Rapidus on my vanilla 800XL and see if it still acts bonkers.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.  I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that the issues can be worked out.  I'd love to have an accelerator in one my machines, but it's just too buggy at the moment for me to drop the money for it.

I do hope a few people will finally receive public apologies if & when the issues get resolved, or at last an admission that it wasn't buggy software or botched installs causing the issues for the past five or so years.

• Like 3

Keep 800 Incognito on the back burner. Remember we have both a card slot and a PBI port in perfect alignment to jump to another card.

Yeah, I know. Wishful thinking. Just an idea... Also, Bob Woolley's MIO 80 column adapter using the 9007 CRTC chip is nice. IIRC, that's the same chip as used by Austin-Franklin. They had multi color text. Nice chip.

Available here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-MicroSystems-SMC-CRT9007-video-processor-IC-40-DIP-nos/143983859611?epid=1218354295&hash=item21861b579b:g:IOsAAOSwB-1Yq6fv

$8.99 each.

• Like 1