IGNORED

Intv2 Arcade Controller pre-order / interest list

can the people in batch 2 who have not already confirmed, please confirm.

for everyone else in batch 2, please note 4+8 or 8 way gate only

if 4+8 gate, which one is pre-installed?

I've ordered 3 special top right stickers and will apply them at random, if you want stock sticker only mention that.

can the people in batch 2 who have not already confirmed, please confirm.

for everyone else in batch 2, please note 4+8 or 8 way gate only

if 4+8 gate, which one is pre-installed?

I've ordered 3 special top right stickers and will apply them at random, if you want stock sticker only mention that.

confirming

both gates, 4 way installed please.

thanks,

charles

I have enough for batch 2, after that I could always buy on ebay as I replace quite a bit.

I rather not use older NeoGeo AES controllers, but the older ones have a nicer joystick, due to better:

bearing trestle

spring

spacer

e-clip (I sometimes replace these already)

It would be worse if Seimitsu (current supplier) went out of business.

I moved batch 2 to Jan 2014. I need to take a break from making controllers.

Batch 2 will default to Select = Pause (for many, but not all games) its like pressing 1+9 or 3+7

I still have ~5 PCBs with Select = keypad 1 - let me know if you rather have that model

Edited by grips03

• 2 weeks later...

2014 still? Does this come with any sort of instructions? Or do us old guys have to just figure it out, lol...

You need a Sears or Intv2. Then controller plug in. Turn controller power switch on. When done power off. Make sure to read post 1 in thread, as it explains the different gates. I like mostly 4-way games so I tend to recommend installing that one. 8-way will be in the box. Only a single gate can be used at one time. Select button is now Pause for many Intv games.

Now what gate do you want installed?

yeah Jan 2014. I got sick of making controllers so I'm taking a break for Oct-Dec.

Edited by grips03

Even if Grips is the developer I have to disagree with him :) I think its better to have 8-way installed. The explanation is simple: You can play every game with it. 4-way installed is awesome for games like Astrosmash, D2K Arcade and so on, but you cant play many games, like Tropical Trouble, Atlantis, the sport games and many more. If you have the 8-way gate installed you have smaller disadvantages for some games (its still really good playable), but you can play every game with this gate.

As the controller is made of plastic I wont change the gate too often, so 8-way is my solution (at least for the next month, then I get my second stick with 4-way installed :)).

Just my 2 Cents as a guy who loves his new controller ^^

Edited by Ignorama

Its quite easy, think about your most favourite games and look if they require 8 or 4 ways. For me Super Pro Tennis is enough to decide this question ;) But if you wanna play the hell out of D2K and Carol you will have more fun with the four way gate. The problem is: You want to try out EVERY game with the new controller and so its at least better for a quick check to have 8-way built in.

Its a hard descision for sure.

Its quite easy, think about your most favourite games and look if they require 8 or 4 ways. For me Super Pro Tennis is enough to decide this question ;) But if you wanna play the hell out of D2K and Carol you will have more fun with the four way gate. The problem is: You want to try out EVERY game with the new controller and so its at least better for a quick check to have 8-way built in.

Its a hard descision for sure.

Actually, Carol was designed for the Intellivision disc controller. I personally find that rotating my thumb around to "corner" during turns is more intuitive, faster, and accurate than jerking the gated stick. There are no "dead zones" on the disc, and it also doesn't use the action buttons.

D2K is different, though. The disc has "dead zones" that can be easily avoided with a gated stick. This is not a slight on the game, that's how the original Donkey Kong was designed.

-dZ.

Hmmmmmm, what do you think of that Grips? Trying to decide.....any other comments?

Order the 4+8 and try them both?

I can install either one you want by default. Just think of the types of games you like most and want to improve on.

DZ - yeah joysticks do have larger dead zones. My favorite stick is the Seimitsu LS-40, as it has quite a small dead zone compared to other sticks. Carol does play well with 4-way, but D2K plays very very well. So yeah it all depends on what you like, the game, and the joystick.

I kind of wish I could use the older AES stick as that is better than the NGX joystick, but I'm pretty sure NeoGeo collectors would get upset about me cutting up their favorite controller for Intv use. But if some wants to replace the joystick, the AES stick is a drop in replacement. The 4-way gate works with the AES stick as well.

Front mounting a LS-33 stick is possible too. I have one this way. But its roughly the same thing as NGX stick.

I re-tried the LS-56 spring as the NGX stick is a little soft, but the LS-56 spring is too hard. I just bought a LS-58 which should have a medium spring. If it improves the feel I'll try to source those springs.

And if some knows of a source for a bunch of cracked / broken AES controllers that I could take the joystick out of that would be awesome.

Edited by grips03

DZ - yeah joysticks do have larger dead zones. My favorite stick is the Seimitsu LS-40, as it has quite a small dead zone compared to other sticks. Carol does play well with 4-way, but D2K plays very very well. So yeah it all depends on what you like, the game, and the joystick.

I'm not surprised. Like I said, the dead zones in the D2K are easier to avoid with a gated joystick, since the disc offers no constraint on the four cardinal directions. This is the same as in the arcade, but the arcade has a gated joystick.

-dZ.

• 2 weeks later...

***UPDATED Oct 7 2013***

SOLD OUT - I might make more later in 2014, for now I can only add you to backorder. If a buyer does not purchase I'll move names from backorder to batch 2.

Intellivision 2 / Sears Super Video Arcade controller pre-order / interest list.

Base is new NeoGeoX controller

Replace joystick microswitches, bearing, and spring receiver with parts from Seimitsu LS-56, so the joystick feels more like the old SNK joystick.

Joystick receives fresh Shin-Etsu (Seimitsu) grease.

Adding new black Seimitsu LB-30 balltop

Adding new Seimitsu 24mm screw in buttons, 3 smoke (buttons A-C) and 1 black (button D)

Milling top of controller to fit keypad and right side of controller for battery holder

Adding 12 button keypad - overlays do NOT work with this keypad.

Adding custom PCB with Xilinx CPLD (coverts common ground) to what the Intv2 / Sears Super Video Arcade wants

I've added an inline inductor to GND to reduce noise (little white spots) on screen seen on earlier units I have here, some noise still might be present, but most likely noise is no longer an issue.

Uses single AA battery. I was able to use single AA battery for ~ 2 months. This was with leaving the controller on for a month during this time.

Controller has reverse polarity protection. Battery direction sticker on bottom.

Power switch in right rear, up is ON down is OFF - Does not have power led as this would draw too much power.

Internal wiring using AT-110/187 quick disconnects and plastic covers and JST XH (PCB side). D button is soldered due to space constraints

Adding custom Intv2 sticker to top right (1.5 inch x .5 inch):

1) Default sticker - silver / black / red / no line

2) silver / black / red with red line - total of 4 - Batch 1

3) black / silver /red - total of 2 - Batch 1

4) 3 controllers with have a different sticker - Batch 2 - qty 1 each - picked at random

Qty 4 .75 rubber feet in box - batch 1

Qty 8 .75 rubber feet, 4 applied, 4 in box - batch 2

Adding 5-6 foot controller cord. Works with Sears or Intv2.

**Please note controllers are hand made and there are some imperfections and variations due to this. **

Each controller is fully tested before sending. Each controller takes around 7 hours to build.

For those who don't know I spent over 2K to design and I'm paying for those costs myself.

At $250 I'm making zero per controller, but I'm not losing any more money either - hence the reason for this price.

2-way games: Astrosmash, Space Armada are ok with either restrictor gate

**4-way restrictor gate (aka restrictor plate) makes games 4-way game much better**

4-way games: D2K, DK Arcade, Christmas Carol, Thunder Castle, Burgertime, Lock N Chase, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Night Stalker, Pac-Man, Beauty and Beast, Super Chef BT, Donkey Kong Junior

8-way games: River Raid, Match 5, Dreadnaught Factor, Commando, Mission X, Nova Blast, Empire Strikes Back, Atlantis,

Price = $250 + shipping (both 4 and 8 way restrictor gate - only one restrictor gate is installed at a time)

Price = $230 + shipping (8-way restrictor gate only)

shipping = actual shipping cost + 4% to cover PP fees. I will only ship with tracking.

package is 3.5 pounds 15 inches length x 11 inches wide x 7 inches high

Once you get controller use it for 7 days and if not happy PM me and then send back and I will refund the price of controller once I have controller back. I will not refund shipping. Buyer would also have to pay return shipping.

Button A=Top Left and Right button (S1)

Button B=Bottom Left (S2)

Button C=Bottom Right (S3)

Button D=Top Left and Right button (S1)

Select = keypad 1 -Batch 1

Select = Pause - Batch2

Start = keypad Enter

Batch 1-Sept-Oct - first gate listed is the pre-installed one

1-revolutionika - 4+8 shipped 9/20/13 - arrived 9/24/13

2-Oscar G - 4+8 shipped 9/24/13 - arrived 10/5/13

3-Ignorama - 8+4 shipped 9/23/13 - arrived 10/1/13

4-cmart604 - 8+4 shipped 9/6/13 - arrived 9/11/13

5-voltron - 8+4 shipped 9/7/13 - arrived 9/9/13

6-cmart604 - 4+8 shipped 9/23/13 - arrived 10/2/13

7-gift 8+4 - shipped 9/5/13 - arrived 9/10/2013

8-Serious - 8+4 shipped 9/23/12 - arrived 9/25/13

9-scobb - 8+4 shipped 9/9/13 - arrived 9/11/13

10-Troy_Whelan 4+8 - shipped 9/9/13 -arrived 9/12/13

11-ghsqb 4+8 shipped 10/7/13 - arrived 10/15/2013

Batch2 - Jan 2014 - first gate listed is the pre-installed one

12-fandenivoldsk - confirmed

13-Chuck D Head

14-BBWW -confirmed, 8 installed, 4 in box

15-sharkcharmer -confirmed

16-OutlawTorn71 - confirmed

17-imstarryeyed -confirmed

18-gooddealgames-confirmed

19- ianoid - confirmed

20-wolfy62

21-evg2000 - confirmed 4 installed, 8 in box

22-killersquirel

23-Ignorama - confirmed, 4 installed, 8 in box

24-stc2009 - confirmed, 8 installed, 4 in box

Backordered:

mjarnold7 - 4 installed, 8 in box

Directions to change the Restrictor Gate:

1-You might have to remove rubber feet if you put rubber feet over the 4 case screw holes. I put my rubber feet to the side, so I do not have remove them. Rubber feet come on sheet for user to stick on controller.

2-remove 4 screws to open case.

3- remove 8 screws to remove gate

4- put on new gate, make sure little posts on the gate fit into holes in the microswitches - gate, microswtches should all be level. Re-install the same 8 screws from step 3

5-Turn case to look at back of it. Put top and bottom of case together. You may need to adjust wires near battery area to get case to close nicely as this area is tight. It will close nicely, but you will need to look and move wires to until it does. Do not use the screws to force the top and bottom together. Re-install the 4 screws from step 2.

Do not change gate often as screw holes are plastic, not metal threaded, hence can wear out.

If you do change, make sure to not over-tighten them

When re-installing the screws It helps to put screw in place and turn to loosen, this helps the screw find the old groove vs. making new ones. If screw is hard to turn back-out and repeat this process.

Directions to change AA battery:

1-Turn battery cover by hand or with a coin / flat head screw driver, it will pop off

2-Remove old battery

3-Install new battery with + facing outside of controller, sticker on bottom of controller shows proper direction

4-Re-install battery cover and turn

I recommend 1.5V AA Duracell, Energizer, or similar alkaline battery. Some rechargeable AA batteries are only 1.2V, so I don't recommend those.

Directions to remove rubber feet:

1-Use small flat blade screw driver edge, press into side of rubber foot and lift.

2-Reapply if they still stick on

You can order replacements from Amazon.com - search for:

3M Scotch Rubber Pads .75

Hi Grips, I am on the batch 2 list. could you please make mine 4 installed and 8 in box? Thank you for making these! Dale W. aka Wolfy 62