IGNORED

what do I need to load Homebrews?

walter_J64bit

No, any lynx game and demo will do. And the cable is a normal mini-USB cable. I wrote a sort of mini-guide to the Lynxman Flashcart, which was copied from my own summarized notes of the FC manual because it is not just drag and drop but the FC needs the correct parameters (size and file extension).

Self-quoted from http://atariage.com/...25#entry2252878 :

Let me post a little dummies´ guide:

first : correct USB COM-port! (i.e. the transfer programme needs to know)

second: change a few default parametres in transfer programme (see manual screenshot). press "connect"!

third: start with 9600 baud. otherwise, no flashcard settings menu will appear

forth: change baud rate to faster (on both the FC and the programme)

fifth: give type of file (.lyx etc) (on both the FC and the programme)

sixth: enter correct file size (on both the FC and the programme)

seventh: erase chip before uploading (didn´t know that but it´s so logical, isn´t it?)

eighth : upload file

nineth: verify

Once one has learnt this it´s a matter of less than 3 minutes now. Thanks for your fast delivery, Lynxman icon_smile.gif It´s a great tool!

Lynxman added later:

There is no need to erase before upload. If [w]rite command is send, the FlashCard erase the memory automatical.

The FlashCard save settings and the status of the FlashROM.

Edited by Atari_afternoon

Please note: if a game do not start please change the file size. Some games need other setting.

Many homebrew stuff use 256K setting (even if the games are less than 256 or 128K).

Sometimes you have to play with the setting. For example Luchsenstein needs the 512K setting. But the game is less than 128K!

And please keep in mind that some games/demos are not running on the Lynx, they only run with an Emulator.

I would like to know this as well, from what I read ages ago, I think you need a game developed with BLL, and a comlynx to serial cable. Quite how you get games from PC to the Lynx I am not sure.

On the Lynx side, you need a cartridge with the BLL Loader inside.

Then, you just have to select BLL Loader on Lynx in order to put it into receive mode, and send your file from PC to Lynx via comlynx.

You cannot send every Lynx rom you find, cause it is loaded in RAM, so everything must be linked into the file, and it must fit into Lynx RAM. Basically, you can send .o files, not .lyx or .lnx

Many games have this option : Alpine Games, Lynx Reloaded, ...

The old flashcard from Karri allowed this, and also to flash a bank ROM via Comlynx.

It was really usefull while debugging, cause it is faster than flashing a card, but as I do not have a PC with serial anymore, and as Bernd Flashcard is really fast to flash (and Handy is pretty reliable), I finally gave up with this option.

IIRC, you can no do this also with Bernd Flashcard.

I guess that LGSS from Harry Dogson use the same kind of process, apart that this is a Lynx that is the master and send the ROM to the slave Lynx, with a LGSS generic cartridge inside.

The main advantage is that it is cheap and that you can send and play with the Lynx attached to the PC.

You just need a comblynx cable that you can do by yourself (and a PC with serial port), and also the program on the Lynx.

But, as it is included on several great Lynx cartridges, you probably already have at least one ;)

Edited by Fadest

I would be really interested in a serial to Lynx cable that somebody might have or make. I am working on a game that could do with custom level loading and the cable seems like a cool mechanism to do that. It would allow owners of the game to interface with the pc to build and upload the levels.

Are there USB based cables that have a RS232 smart thingy at connector on the PC side?

I think its a case of getting a USB to serial chip and just adding the wires. I saw a thread on here a few days ago by Wookie, I will see if I can find it again, I could always make something if I can get the bits. Its something I really need also as I want to get Handy comlynx working with a connected Lynx, we can then work on proxying a serial connection over TCP (internet play - Lynx to Lynx or Lynx to Handy etc.

And it works with the original CM II.

You're kidding, right? Do I understand this correctly: you can upload levels to the original (unmodified) Crystal Mines II?

Carl, do you have any copies of CM2-BT in stock, or is the level editing tool available/for sale?

The frustrating part of writing manuals is that only 0,5% of all users read manuals before try using hard- or software. ;)

You're kidding, right? Do I understand this correctly: you can upload levels to the original (unmodified) Crystal Mines II?

No, i am not kidding. ;-)

You can only upload 1 Level which will be stored in the RAM of the Lynx. :)

BTW: CM II Buried Treasure is using an OTP Prom.

It is not possible to upload any level into the cart of CM II or CM II BT.

Edited by Lynxman

You can only upload 1 Level which will be stored in the RAM of the Lynx.

How is the connection from the PC to the Lynx established for the original CM2? I mean, it doesn't have a piece of "listening" code like the BLL based carts, or does it? So, how can you overwrite RAM memory in the Lynx from the cable?

Edited by LX.NET

Here's the USB version that Wookie created:-

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/166164-new-usb-serial-to-comlynx-adapter/

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=171773

FT232RL - checked with Farnell, these are around £4. I still need to find somewhere that makes PCBs, if I can get that sorted I could get a batch of these made up.