IGNORED

what do I need to load Homebrews?

walter_J64bit

No, i am not kidding. ;-)

You can only upload 1 Level which will be stored in the RAM of the Lynx. :)

BTW: CM II Buried Treasure is using an OTP Prom.

It is not possible to upload any level into the cart of CM II or CM II BT.

That's correct. Both CM2 and CM2:BT support comlynx download of a single level into Lynx RAM until the Lynx is shut off, then the downloaded level disappears. Very cool feature hidden in there by Ken. ;) That's why Scott and I created the original CM2:BT CD (that's a lot of abbreviations!), to allow fans to design new levels for single download onto the existing CM2 cartridge and also to play a bunch of new levels created by a half-dozen designers. It wasn't until later that I decided to pursue a cartridge with all the new levels included.

At one point I had considered adding support for the EEPROM save game chip, which would have allowed new levels to be stored in EEPROM instead of RAM, but we never seriously pursued that...

Here's the download for the exe (needs .NET framework v4+), and the source - a real mess, bodged together with bubblegum but it works.

http://www.c5software.co.uk/downloads/Zeus.zip

http://www.c5software.co.uk/downloads/ZeusSrc.zip

USB ComLynx:-

Zeus (Comms client I threw together to use with my flash card and comlynx BLL) - Note: The protocol of my flash card will be different than other flashcards out there, so i've no idea if that part would work on other peoples flash cards - recommendation is NOT to try it when I release it. Just use the comlynx bit.

comlynx.jpgzeus.jpg

And for the record, in Championship Rally the loader is available on the screen after you've chosen 'TOURNAMENT', then 'New Game' - The screen should show 'TOURNAMENT' with Year, Season and Points listed. You can upload at 9600 on that screen only as far as I can tell.

I hate .NET as well tbh, and I hate Java even more. Much prefer C++ and Delphi but the business world seems to want these new sh@@ technologies with their JIT compilers and crappy performance...

I tend to do windows RAD stuff in C# these days, just because I am told C# and Java are the way forward and i've not kept up with Delphi versions since the last true Win32 version (Delphi 7), but I sometimes throw these kind of utils together in Delphi 7.

I hate .NET as well tbh, and I hate Java even more. Much prefer C++ and Delphi but the business world seems to want these new sh@@ technologies with their JIT compilers and crappy performance...

I tend to do windows RAD stuff in C# these days, just because I am told C# and Java are the way forward and i've not kept up with Delphi versions since the last true Win32 version (Delphi 7), but I sometimes throw these kind of utils together in Delphi 7.

I code with Delphi7 and Lazarus at home. In work i use Delphi XE2 Enterprise.

Zeus does not work, it breaks with an .net internal error - i hate it :(

Maybe i will finish my own tool, but i have trouble with the upload. I must change the comport-component.

post-17785-0-03009400-1371586226_thumb.jpg

post-17785-0-03009400-1371586226_thumb.jpg

What doesnt work - comlynx? The flash card mode probably won't work on anyone elses flash card as ive got a different protocol. If you are using comlynx cable make sure you select the correct com port.

It would be useful to understand circumstances of the error you get.

I checked the source code. It's pragmatic, but pretty OK. I do not have a ComLynx BLL cable yet, but the program starts alright. So, I didn't see everything run, yet still love the detail of the pnlLED that shows the color of the LED indicator on the picture. Excellent!

Matthias, the project shows that it uses the .NET client 4.0 profile, which means you need to have that version installed. Do you have a stack-trace of the exception? That should make it easier to identify the reason.

BTW, .NET code could be cross-platform if you pay attention and avoid weird things. With Mono you can run it on many other platforms, like Linux and MacOS. The emulator I wrote is cross-platform in theory, as long as it has the Mono runtime installed. I never finished my use of the SDL library for display and sound. However, the sources do compile under Mono.

I was also thinking about a new cart programming protocol for my ARM-based design. What I had in mind was:

stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 62500

cat Solitaire.lnx > /dev/ttyUSB0

or for homebrew

cat mygame.o > /dev/ttyUSB0

No .NET needed :)

If someone wants I can also share my Mttty.exe sources. The Windows serial port handling is crap. You need to have separate threads and all kind of special code to make it work. The good thing is that it uses no toolkits. It was compiled on Windows before Win 95 and the exe works on all Windows variants and Linux also.

Could you elaborate? What sucks exactly? If you are talking about my app, I would certainly say its extremely basic, but it does handle the BLL loader which is the only reason I released it. I also released the source - despite it being litterally 1 or 2 hours of work in total in order that someone else with more time can write their own better version. The flash card support will NOT WORK on anyones flash card but mine as i've said several times now.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone wanting to make one of these themselves - it's easy btw.

If you order one of those boards (see earlier up) from EBAY, then cut the end of a comlynx cable (or just cut into the wire and extend it so you still have a fully working comlynx cable with 2 wires coming out of it. The tip is +5v (not needed), the middle band is your Rx and Tx. and the bottom band (nearest the plastic) is your ground. Simply connect up the wire connected to the middle pin to both the Rx and Tx pins on the PCB, and the ground to the ground on the PCB.

You could also mount one of these internally in the Lynx and have the micro USB exposed through case edge somewhere (not sure where yet) - I've got another project on the go to have an inbuilt auto fire (done with a PIC16F84A) and containing the internal micro USB for comlynx.

• 3 months later...

Not true, because I was able to transfer the contents of a Lynx cartridge at 62500 baud from the Lynx to my PC successfully using the cable and a custom piece of code in both the Lynx (CC65 using comlynx driver) and my PC (.NET C# progam). So, I guess it is possible.

Still working on getting the uploader to work in CC65. No luck so far.