IGNORED

Which version of 2nd/3rd gen games is best?

Lately instead of expanding I've been wanting to consolidate and tighten my collection. However, going through game by game trying to find the "best" version is quite a daunting task. So I come to you experts in hopes that maybe I can compile some definitive list of the best of ports. Maybe we can even order the ports from best to worst in case someone doesn't have the console for the best game, but does for the second or third best port. Also, please indicate if the game can be found outside of the 2nd/3rd gen, for example Frogger on the Genesis or Pac-Man on the many Namco collections.

I'll start with what I know best:

Galaga (1981)

NES > 7800 > MSX > SG-1000 > Game Boy

Best compilation containing it: Namco 50th Anniversary (PS2, Xbox, GCN equally good)

Note: The Game Boy version was released as Galaga & Galaxian.

Commentary: The NES version is the cleanest looking, although it differs from the arcade in that it doesn't have a "throbbing" swarm. The 7800 has worse graphics, although the enemy movement is closer to the original. The MSX and SG-1000 are the simplest in terms of graphics and sound, and of course the Game Boy is what you'd expect from a Game Boy game.

Edited by ὁ Ῥωμαῖος Νέος

Lately instead of expanding I've been wanting to consolidate and tighten my collection. However, going through game by game trying to find the "best" version is quite a daunting task. So I come to you experts in hopes that maybe I can compile some definitive list of the best of ports. Maybe we can even order the ports from best to worst in case someone doesn't have the console for the best game, but does for the second or third best port. Also, please indicate if the game can be found outside of the 2nd/3rd gen, for example Frogger on the Genesis or Pac-Man on the many Namco collections.

I'll start with what I know best:

Galaga (1981)

NES > 7800 > MSX > SG-1000 > Game Boy

Best compilation containing it: Namco 50th Anniversary (PS2, Xbox, GCN equally good)

Note: The Game Boy version was released as Galaga & Galaxian.

Commentary: The NES version is the cleanest looking, although it differs from the arcade in that it doesn't have a "throbbing" swarm. The 7800 has worse graphics, although the enemy movement is closer to the original. The MSX and SG-1000 are the simplest in terms of graphics and sound, and of course the Game Boy is what you'd expect from a Game Boy game.

"What you expect from a Game Boy game" is selling GB games short. I don't think you played these enough. The GB b/w is much closer to the NES in terms of gameplay compared to the SG-1000. I heard the SG-1000 version is very limited in terms of patterns. The GB b/w also looks very nice on SGB and decent on GBC. The GB version of Galaga is also in Namco Gallery v. 1 (Japan only GB release).

Edited by BrianC

"What you expect from a Game Boy game" is selling GB games short. I don't think you played these enough. The GB b/w is much closer to the NES in terms of gameplay compared to the SG-1000. I heard the SG-1000 version is very limited in terms of patterns. The GB b/w also looks very nice on SGB and decent on GBC. The GB version of Galaga is also in Namco Gallery v. 1 (Japan only GB release).

I meant superficially: small screen, black and white, limited sound... It's not my preferred way to play the game, although I have it for on the road.

My point though isn't to laud individual titles, but to "pick" one as the best. I don't want to keep expanding my collection (although Galaga is probably the one exception), but tighten it.

I meant superficially: small screen, black and white, limited sound... It's not my preferred way to play the game, although I have it for on the road.

The sound isn't any more limited than the other versions (unless you play on an early GBC, which plays the music and sounds wrong. MSX and SG-1000 also have simpler sound chips than GB and NES). Yes, b/w graphics, but closer to arcade in some ways than other versions. SG-1000 falls short technically in comparison other than the b/w, yet is ranked above it? Enemy patterns in 7800 version are in some ways less accurate than the GB and NES patterns. IMO, to pick one as the best, gameplay should be what comes out on top. Anyway, as far as older ports, NES would win anyway, but I feel the GB version is being sold short by being rated lower than what many consider one of the worst versions of Galaga (the SG-1000 version).

Edited by BrianC

Speaking of the SG-1000, I'm not familiar with every home version of Chack'n Pop, but as I recall:

SG-1000 ( = ColecoVision) > MSX > Famicom > PC-6001 (?)

Haven't played the PC-6001 version, but it certainly looks pretty rough. There are a few other Japanese home computer ports (FM-7, PC-8801, Sharp X1).

The Famicom version is dramatically inferior to the SG-1000, which seems like the best port to me by far, and has been ported/transferred to the ColecoVision. I also did a translation patch for the SG-1000 version, which is on ROMHacking.net.

I don't remember exactly how the MSX version stacks up to the Famicom, but it's also inferior to the SG-1000.

The sound isn't any more limited than the other versions (unless you play on an early GBC, which plays the music and sounds wrong). Yes, b/w graphics, but closer to arcade in some ways than other versions. SG-1000 falls short technically in comparison other than the b/w, yet is ranked above it? Enemy patterns in 7800 version are in some ways less accurate than the GB and NES patterns. IMO, to pick one as the best, gameplay should be what comes out on top. Anyway, as far as older ports, NES would win anyway, but I feel the GB version is being sold short by being rated lower than what many consider one of the worst versions of Galaga (the SG-1000 version).

Fair enough! My opinion isn't the be all and end all. :D And which are the "early GBCs" v. later ones? I do indeed play it on a teal GBC.

Have you tried the TG-16 version Galaga 90?.Good graphics and one of my favorite Galaga versions(after the original).

I've played Galaga 88 in the arcades. That's a separate game though, so I didn't want to include it. I can't imagine the Game Gear or the Sharp X68K beating out the TG-16, though.

Edited by ὁ Ῥωμαῖος Νέος

Fair enough! My opinion isn't the be all and end all. :D And which are the "early GBCs" v. later ones? I do indeed play it on a teal GBC.

I think the purple was one of the early ones. I'm not sure when teal came out. Anyway, if Galaga/Galaxian plays with missing sounds, it's one of the earlier ones. I think Pac-Man b/w is another one of the carts with sound issues.

I'm a big fan of AfterBurner II by SEGA. I can only speak of versions I know, but I have a few to speak of.

1. 32X: This is the arcade version. With a code it even says insert coin!

2. PC Engine: It scales!!! I didn't know the PC/Turbo 16 could do that! What happened with Space Harrier? Colors are bright and good rendeton of the soundtrack.

3. GBA: Its the arcade, the only problem is the control scheme. A big plus is that it comes with Out Run, Hang On, and Spae Harrier.

4. Genesis: Looks good paused, but no real hardware scaling hurts. Music and sfx are a little tinny.

5. Master System: Colors are good, but no scaling and audio bring it down.

6. NES: They tried. Its better than Top Gun 2!

I dont have it but I assume the Saturn Ages disc was just the same as the 32X.

I'm a big fan of AfterBurner II by SEGA. I can only speak of versions I know, but I have a few to speak of.

1. 32X: This is the arcade version. With a code it even says insert coin!

2. PC Engine: It scales!!! I didn't know the PC/Turbo 16 could do that! What happened with Space Harrier? Colors are bright and good rendeton of the soundtrack.

3. GBA: Its the arcade, the only problem is the control scheme. A big plus is that it comes with Out Run, Hang On, and Spae Harrier.

4. Genesis: Looks good paused, but no real hardware scaling hurts. Music and sfx are a little tinny.

5. Master System: Colors are good, but no scaling and audio bring it down.

6. NES: They tried. Its better than Top Gun 2!

I dont have it but I assume the Saturn Ages disc was just the same as the 32X.

GBA and SMS are After Burner 1, which is similar, but missing the after burners. NES, oddly enough, has a toned down version of the after burners by pressing either start or select (don't remember which).

has better graphics than the NES version and voice. I read that the After Burner and Space Harrier ports for 32X are closer to arcade than other ports, but don't have 60 FPS like the Saturn versions.

I've played Galaga 88 in the arcades. That's a separate game though, so I didn't want to include it. I can't imagine the Game Gear or the Sharp X68K beating out the TG-16, though.

Game Gear definitely not, but why not X68K (unless it's a bad port)? Have you seen any X68K games? Many games on it are very close to the arcade version. I agree the TG-16 one is a good port, though.

. Edited by BrianC

Comparison,never played the X78X version but played the TG-16 version which is really good.

I didn't post that video because it's in the wrong aspect ratio and may have emulation issues. The X68000 is closer to the arcade in comparison, but the video seems to stutter at times, which doesn't happen in the video I linked in the previous post. The video I linked to is apparently on the real system, telling by the description, but seems to be using a cheat for a special mode that only has special bonus rounds. I only played X68000 via emulation, but Castlevania Chronicles for PSX is ported from it. Other interesting games are

, a polygonal game and a precursor to the Jumping Flash games for PSX, the
, the original version of Granada,
, and
, the original game the Windows Cho Ren Sha is based on.

Here is my opinion of classic ports of Dig Dug:

Famicom > 7800 > 5200/later 800 port > Game Boy b/w > 2600 > earlier Atari 800 port > CGA DOS

Famicom gets props for having the closest graphics to the arcade, as well as nailing the gameplay. Graphics aren't as good for 5200/800, but the gameplay is still close to the arcade. GB suffers from not being full screen, but is still pretty good. It also has a nifty new mode, which isn't included in the comparison. 2600 version isn't as good as some of the others, but is still a fine port and impressive for the system. The earlier Atari 800 port has odd graphics and Dig Dug looking like an alien, though is still decent. Play is ok for the DOS version, but it also has strange graphics. The music sounds decent for PC speaker, though.

Edited by BrianC

I've made it clear in quite a few of my youtube videos that arcade ports circa 1977 - 1985 are my prime collecting focus. I couldn't care less if I have 6 or 7 different versions of Galaxian, Donkey Kong, or Pacman on 6 or 7 different consoles or computers, I love playing the different versions with different graphics, gameplay characteriscs, sounds, music, etc so limiting myself to a subjective "best" version of any one game isn't something that would ever interest me.

Commentary: The NES version is the cleanest looking, although it differs from the arcade in that it doesn't have a "throbbing" swarm. The 7800 has worse graphics, although the enemy movement is closer to the original.

This is a perfect example of what I mean by "subjective best". Is the NES better because its cleaner looking or is the 7800 better because the movement is closer to the arcade? Depends on what's important to you but that is exactly the reason I love collecting the different versions - BECAUSE of those differences.

BTW, even with all these variations and compared to years past, my collection is plenty consolidated :D

• Like 1

The Sega Saturn port seems to be arcade perfect on Sega Ages (And i think it saw a standalone release in Japan). It also seems fine on the Shenmue games and the Yu Suzuki Collection.

The GBA is very stripped down with missing stuff, shortened songs, etc. I didn't like it and it seems like most people were displeased by the Afterburner port as well. And I don't know if it's the small screen or what, but avoiding missiles is very difficult. Outrun & Super Hang-On have their entertainment intact though even though they're also far from arcade perfect (It's the sequel on there, not the original Hang-On).

Not sure about Space Harrier. I'm not a fan so I couldn't tell you how well they pulled that conversion off.

The Sega Saturn port seems to be arcade perfect on Sega Ages (And i think it saw a standalone release in Japan). It also seems fine on the Shenmue games and the Yu Suzuki Collection.

The GBA is very stripped down with missing stuff, shortened songs, etc. I didn't like it and it seems like most people were displeased by the Afterburner port as well. And I don't know if it's the small screen or what, but avoiding missiles is very difficult. Outrun & Super Hang-On have their entertainment intact though even though they're also far from arcade perfect (It's the sequel on there, not the original Hang-On).

Not sure about Space Harrier. I'm not a fan so I couldn't tell you how well they pulled that conversion off.

OutRun is the best on that cart IMHO. The small screen and button layout issues really hurt.

The PC Engine version has really great collision detection. It is gratifying to dodge missiles on that one, unlike other versions where even the best evasive manuvers meet with mixed results. It isn't as pretty as the 32X or Saturn ports, but the colors pop well and the gameplay is terrific.

My dream is to get a rig together that replicates the feedback and control scheme of the arcade AfterBurner. I love that cabinet. If there is an arcade in heaven, that one will be there! I really like AfterBurner Climax on PS3 as well. Daytona PS3 is great as well, though Crazy Taxi seemed like a lazy port. I wish SEGA GT, Daytona II, and Scud Race would get some love sometime.

I've actually been doing the same exact thing!!

A few games that I've been deciding over recently are... (I am only taking into consideration versions that I have played in my ranking...)

Q-Bert

NES>Playstation>Atari 2600 I'm really not happy with the fact that 2600 version doesn't have Ugg and Wrongway!! :(

I actually imagine that the B*nQ homebrew version is probably better than the NES version... but I just don't see a legitimate reason for me to spend $30 on Q-bert when the NES and Playstation version's can be gotten for around $5-10

Kung Fu Master

NES>Atari 7800>Atari 2600 (the 2600 version really pushes the system to the limit tho!!)

Pole Position

I've actually decided to settle on the version from my GBA Namco Museum collection that I can play via my Gameboy Player on my Gamecube... it's soooo much better and much closer to the Arcade than Pole Position 2 for Atari 7800 and the terrible Atari 2600 version of Pole Position

There's an arcade perfect release of Q*Bert for the Playstation 3. It's a $5 or so digital download. Better than the Playstation original mode since this is the original graphics.

For Pole Position, the GBA version is one of the most passable versions in the Namco Museum line. It's controllable enough to actually win the race unlike the more twitchy versions usually seen on the consoles. But my favorite is the Jakks Pacific plug and play Ms. Pac-Man version where you twist the ball knob to steer. And the Namco Museum versions of 1 & 2 on the original Playstation are nice when using the Namco racing controller.

But I still enjoy Atari's classic releases for Pole Position. I particularly like PPII on the 7800 even though it has a great many detractors these days.

OutRun is the best on that cart IMHO. The small screen and button layout issues really hurt.

I'm pretty happy with Super Hang-On as well. They're both much easier than the arcade games but most of the experience translated over well.

The other two have only gotten occasional play where as Outrun and Super Hang-On have frequently been played on that cartridge over the past 7 or 8 years. Nothing wrong with the button mapping in those two for me. Even on the DS with its 4 button layout, I so rarely need the brake that it's a non-issue with how the GBA buttons are mapped on a DS. Just lifting is typically enough for tight situations just like in the arcade originals. And the right shoulder button shifts in Outrun and activates the boost in Super Hang-On and is comfortable enough for me.

Edited by Atariboy

I agree with you about Pole Position Atariboy. I love the 7800 version of PPII.

The Sega collection on GBA is one of my favorite gaming posessions even though I criticize it in places. I was a SEGA kid growing up after the Atari era so anytime I was forced to used shoulder buttons with my caveman hands was offputting to me. Still a great collection. I just wish they had done more than one volume! How cool would another collection been with Galaxy Force, Rad Mobile, Power Drift, and Thunder Blade have been? Also always bothered me that they had the home license for SpiderMan back in the day, but never converted the arcade game to anything.

I think some of those might've been asking a bit too much of the old GBA. :)

But I think some of their 80's arcade racers that ran on similar hardware as these would've been great to see. Enduro Racer and Turbo Outrun come to mind and have never received proper home releases (Although the reimagining of Enduro Racer on the Master System is a fine game in its own right).

I think some of those might've been asking a bit too much of the old GBA. :)

But I think some of their 80's arcade racers that ran on similar hardware as these would've been great to see. Enduro Racer and Turbo Outrun come to mind and have never received proper home releases (Although the reimagining of Enduro Racer on the Master System is a fine game in its own right).

I have the JP SMS Enduro Racer with 5 extra levels compared to the US/EU version. Good stuff. :) Too bad the arcade never got a proper port, though. It's sad how the Megadrive port of Turbo Outrun was outsourced to Tiertex.

I'm a bit torn on the NES Q*Bert, myself. The controls seem less responsive than other versions. Colecovision has some oddities like only ugg (or was it wrongway) and only slick, but is very well done otherwise. A800 version is a good port, but has odd enemy behavior with the red balls sometimes sneaking in on the Ugg and Wrongway levels. Intellivision isn't the best looker, but plays well. 2600 is missing ugg and wrongway, but they might be a bit much for the smaller playfield and it plays well otherwise.

Here's how I rank them (classic consoles/computers only):

C64 > Colecovision > Atari 800 > Intellivision > 2600 > NES

I like the Sega arcade collection on GBA too. Afterburner is the only game I don't like in it. Games aren't arcade perfect, but they still play well. I'm glad Super Hang On arcade finally got a better home version in the Sega Vintage Collection for 360. I can't wait for Space Harrier 3D and Super Hang On 3D to arrive in the US for 3DS.

Edited by BrianC

I couldn't care less if I have 6 or 7 different versions of Galaxian, Donkey Kong, or Pacman on 6 or 7 different consoles or computers, I love playing the different versions with different graphics, gameplay characteriscs, sounds, music, etc so limiting myself to a subjective "best" version of any one game isn't something that would ever interest me.

Yep, I love the old ports that showed the strengths and weaknesses of each console. I'm less interested in which is best and more interested in what's fun. If a port takes some artistic or game mechanic liberties and comes off a little different but more fun, I'll stick with the fun.

• Like 2

I'm glad Super Hang On arcade finally got a better home version in the Sega Vintage Collection for 360. I can't wait for Space Harrier 3D and Super Hang On 3D to arrive in the US for 3DS.

I was thrilled when that was released on the PS3 and 360. Was sad that such a fine game was relegated to an aged Genesis port and the GBA so it was great to see it released in arcade perfect form.

Was just watching a YouTube video of the 3D rerelease on the 3DS last night. I don't think motion steering will be much fun but it looks like it's arcade perfect. Will make for a great handheld game and might even give my GBA cartridge a bit of a rest.

Sega's 3D releases are confirmed for North America too. So those two along with Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis version of course) and Altered Beast (Not sure if this one is the arcade or Genesis) will be out over here soon. I wasn't sure we'd be getting these since those first two have been out for several months over in Japan.

I have the JP SMS Enduro Racer with 5 extra levels compared to the US/EU version. Good stuff. :) Too bad the arcade never got a proper port, though. It's sad how the Megadrive port of Turbo Outrun was outsourced to Tiertex.

I didn't know that about Enduro Racer. Thanks to the advent of multicarts, that will be easy to go check out now. :)

Turbo Outrun did get a nice port on the FM Towns Marty (Far from arcade perfect, but it would've seemed like it back in the day and appears to have aged very well). But a heck of a lot of good that does us over here. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcwYbU9Y8ug

I've only seen one person that liked the Genesis port of Turbo Outrun. And he just seemed to like things just for the sake of being different.

Surprisingly, Outrunners turned out better than that on the Genesis despite being far more advanced. That's another Sega gem that needs an arcade perfect release.

Edited by Atariboy