IGNORED

atari 8 bit lifespan cart

Dripfree

Hey I was wondering if any one knew of this atari computer cartridge "lifespan". I responded to a craigs list post where a guy was selling atari computer cartriges among other things. He sent me a list of about 25 games. I've been spending too much money on atari stuff lately and I couldn't afford much so I tried lowballing him. I offered him 30$ bucks. He didn't even respond..... They are still up there and its been almost a month so I figured what the hell and I sent him another massage. This time he said thanks but no thanks and he told me "I just sold the lifespan cart for 100$ guese it was something special". Well I cant find anything on this game. Is it like a super rare proto or something?

===============================================================================
= Prototypes			  =
=			    =
= Prototypes were never formally released to the public.  At one time, these  =
= were only available as pre-release carts (lab demos, etc.).  Now, several   =
= vendors are burning new copies of some of these prototype games.  Not all   =
= prototypes sold are true prototypes (see Pirate section).				   =
	  Rar-
Manufacturer Catalog # Yr Title	  ity [C][i][b]
--------------- --------- -- ------------------------------------ ---  -  -  -
Adventure Intl	   Starship: The Destiny	 PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  <none>	  Animated Puzzle	  PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  <none>   83 Berzerk	   PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  RX8???    89 Deflektor (by US Gold)	 PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  <none>	   Final Legacy [beta]	 PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  <none>    84 Jr. Pac-Man	  PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  <none>    83 Kangaroo [*]	  PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  <none>   84 The Last Starfighter	 PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  <none>	  Letter Tutor  [alp] [klp]	 PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  RX8100	  Mean 18 Golf	  PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  RX8124	   MidiMaze	    PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  <none>   84 Stargate	   PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  CB101931  84 Super Pac-Man	   PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  <none>    83 Superman III	   PR [ ][-][-]
Atari  RX8111    88 Tower Toppler	   PR [ ][-][-]
Datamost			  Cosmic Tunnels	  PR [ ][ ][-]
Exidy	    Demo Cartridge	  PR [ ][-][-]
Logic One	   Jump Start	   PR [x][-][-]
Parker Bros.	   Montezuma's Revenge	 PR [ ][-][-]
Parker Bros.	   Mr. Do's Castle	  PR [ ][-][-]
Roklan				    83 Pursuit of the Pink Panther    PR [ ][-][-]
Roklan	 83 Lifespan	   PR [ ][ ][-]

• Like 1

Search this board for information. But Lifepan by Roklan was never released. It was manufactured but they went belly up and destroyed all the inventory. A few made it out as samplesa I believe. It would not be considered a "production" cart, it's more like a prototype (in final release stage).

Damn did I miss out on something great any ideas what that thing may be worth?

I've seen the same pic floating around, and I have never seen one in person. If this person had one as part of their collection, they must have had ties in the business at some level. Did they provide any pic's? I would think they would have.

I've seen the same pic floating around, and I have never seen one in person. If this person had one as part of their collection, they must have had ties in the business at some level. Did they provide any pic's? I would think they would have.

No he didn't provide a pic he didn't even list the games he had in the post. His post didn't give any details he said he was selling magic the gathering cards, D&D books, and atari 8 games email me if interested. So I told him I was interested in the atari games. He sent me a list of about 25 games. They seemed mostly common although many I dont own. I actualy mailed him a few times and I couldn't get him to give me a price.... I thought he may want to haggle which is another reason I tried lowballing him. I have since deleted the email with the list. I didn't know enough to know lifespan was a proto. I know if this dude was being legit he had no clue lifespan was something special because he basicaly said just that. I am very skeptical of craigs list perhaps this dude is a scammer cuz if you had a proto I would think you would know it. Maybe he is trying to lure in some nerds with rare stuff cuz he thinks they will be an easy target to rob and murder. Now Im hopeing that is the case cuz I'm kinda regreting not knowing this was so rare and grabbing it. Maybe I'll ask him about the magic cards if he's a scammer I'll bet he tells me he's got a black lotus or something.

Edited by Dripfree

Search this board for information. But Lifepan by Roklan was never released. It was manufactured but they went belly up and destroyed all the inventory. A few made it out as samplesa I believe. It would not be considered a "production" cart, it's more like a prototype (in final release stage).

Is that what happened? I always wondered why there were production looking carts floating around. I assume Da Fuzz met a similar fate?

Well, it's the information I've found on it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/133687-lifespan-cart-by-roklan-how-many-found/

I find it weird that we are saying that when a company went out of business that they destroyed their inventory? I would think that inventory would be an asset that would be used to determine a company's worth, etc.

From the one picture I've seen circulated, it appears to be finished.

Da'Fuzz I've not see a cartridge picture in which was as finished as Lifespan. Da'Fuzz usually shows as a hand written label, etc. Maybe someone has a better cart pic?

Whomever (AtariGeezer?) snatched Lifespan from this unsuspecting owner, please post a pic. I'm curious to see if it's the same one that has been floating around.

i have lifespan back, to bad he gave me a bad address, and i also have da fuzz. it is a plus that my father worked in the marketing department at Roklan in palatine, il i guess. if you want pics of lifespan and da fuzz next to something with todays date let me know.

Well, it's the information I've found on it.

http://atariage.com/...how-many-found/

I find it weird that we are saying that when a company went out of business that they destroyed their inventory? I would think that inventory would be an asset that would be used to determine a company's worth, etc.

From the one picture I've seen circulated, it appears to be finished.

Da'Fuzz I've not see a cartridge picture in which was as finished as Lifespan. Da'Fuzz usually shows as a hand written label, etc. Maybe someone has a better cart pic?

Whomever (AtariGeezer?) snatched Lifespan from this unsuspecting owner, please post a pic. I'm curious to see if it's the same one that has been floating around.

not unsuspecting anymore

i am the one from milwaukees craiglslist, and i know what i have now. and no, i dont have anything close to a black lotus.

No he didn't provide a pic he didn't even list the games he had in the post. His post didn't give any details he said he was selling magic the gathering cards, D&D books, and atari 8 games email me if interested. So I told him I was interested in the atari games. He sent me a list of about 25 games. They seemed mostly common although many I dont own. I actualy mailed him a few times and I couldn't get him to give me a price.... I thought he may want to haggle which is another reason I tried lowballing him. I have since deleted the email with the list. I didn't know enough to know lifespan was a proto. I know if this dude was being legit he had no clue lifespan was something special because he basicaly said just that. I am very skeptical of craigs list perhaps this dude is a scammer cuz if you had a proto I would think you would know it. Maybe he is trying to lure in some nerds with rare stuff cuz he thinks they will be an easy target to rob and murder. Now Im hopeing that is the case cuz I'm kinda regreting not knowing this was so rare and grabbing it. Maybe I'll ask him about the magic cards if he's a scammer I'll bet he tells me he's got a black lotus or something.

my da fuzz has a real production label on it.

I could have sworn there was a Da' Fuzz with a production label, but I might be wrong on that.

As for destroying the inventory, it might have been worth more as a tax write-off like the Atari landfill story.

• Like 1

i am the one from milwaukees craiglslist, and i know what i have now. and no, i dont have anything close to a black lotus.

Well now I feel rather stupid and embarassed. I'd like to offer you a sincere apology for thinking you were a scammer. I watch the news and I'm very skeptical of craigslist. When I found out how rare this game was I figured it probably wasn't real. Anyway I didn't know how rare these things were when you sent me the list. Am I correct that you didn't know either? Congrats though it sounds like you got some real collectors pieces....... Oh and if you ever want to make a quick $30 bucks my offer still stands LOL.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

= Prototypes			  =

=			    =

= Prototypes were never formally released to the public.  At one time, these  =

= were only available as pre-release carts (lab demos, etc.).  Now, several   =

= vendors are burning new copies of some of these prototype games.  Not all   =

= prototypes sold are true prototypes (see Pirate section).				   =

Rar-

Manufacturer Catalog # Yr Title	  ity [C][I][B]

--------------- --------- -- ------------------------------------ ---  -  -  -

Adventure Intl	   Starship: The Destiny	 PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  <none>	  Animated Puzzle	  PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  <none>   83 Berzerk	   PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  RX8???    89 Deflektor (by US Gold)	 PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  <none>	   Final Legacy [beta]	 PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  <none>    84 Jr. Pac-Man	  PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  <none>    83 Kangaroo [*]	  PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  <none>   84 The Last Starfighter	 PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  <none>	  Letter Tutor  [alp] [klp]	 PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  RX8100	  Mean 18 Golf	  PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  RX8124	   MidiMaze	    PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  <none>   84 Stargate	   PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  CB101931  84 Super Pac-Man	   PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  <none>    83 Superman III	   PR [ ][-][-]

Atari  RX8111    88 Tower Toppler	   PR [ ][-][-]

Datamost			  Cosmic Tunnels	  PR [ ][ ][-]

Exidy	    Demo Cartridge	  PR [ ][-][-]

Logic One	   Jump Start	   PR [x][-][-]

Parker Bros.	   Montezuma's Revenge	 PR [ ][-][-]

Parker Bros.	   Mr. Do's Castle	  PR [ ][-][-]

Roklan				    83 Pursuit of the Pink Panther    PR [ ][-][-]

Roklan	 83 Lifespan	   PR [ ][ ][-]

BE careful a lot of information has come to the surface since this list was created. I.e. Mr. Do's castle is not a proto, but a Canadian release.

Neat! Is it fun to play?

I'm not sure how to play it.

It has this nice star castle like opening sequence. And if you press button or move the joystick more sounds are added. Then once the game starts items start bouncing from side to side while you change into letters. You can't get killed? And there is a spacebar pause.