IGNORED

Tumulus (2600)

yllawwally

• 3 weeks later...

Primarily bug fixes. Screen no longer adds extra line if touching an enemy or for moving left and swinging sword. Having trouble finding the cycles to do hit calcs, with the boss stuff added in. I think I can optimize a little more. Will need to move around all Enemies. Added the ability to actually specify each enemie's life. Before it was based on enemy number, which is why it took too many hits to kill will o wisp.

Tumulus_23.bin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the long wait, been pretty busy for a while. Did a whole bunch of internal changes. The player won't notice most of them. However they are required to get the larger bosses on the screen. A new crazy bug was added, when you touch the mummy, you're character sprite is garbled. It can be fixed by attacking a different creature.

;FUTURE FEATURES
;Need to add grappling
;differentiate levels more
;add more creatures
;maybe monsters shouldn't attack when on fire
;BUGS
;player has corruption on far right
;1 line of player is discolored
;snakes don't damage player
;tree doesn't damage player
;Mummy can split in half
;weird player graphic corruption, when touching mummy

Tumulus_24.bin

• 5 months later...

I've been pretty busy for a while. Finally got some time lately. This version has a couple of fixes.

;BUGS
;ghost doesn't stay on screen
;weird player graphic corruption, when touching mummy
;make dragon not move
;make dragon fire move
;bottom part of boss doesn't get damaged
;score is being incremented when it shouldn't be
;FIXED
;Fixed scanlines going to 263 and 264
;Fixed player getting messed up too far down on screen, and too far right, by limiting play area.
;Can change mouth color a little more easily now
  • Like 2

I'm re-aligning all the monster tables. This will make it easier to setup the new bosses. It will also make my messy code a little cleaner. I'm trying to have 5 bosses. Right now we have 3, Will O Wisp, Mummy, and Dragon head. I want to add a few more minor bad guys as well, such as bats.

;BUGS
;tree doesn't damage player, did I want to tree to hurt player or only chase snake away.
;make dragon not move
;make dragon fire move
;bottom part of boss changes direction when hit.
;FIXED
;Scoring fixed, had inadvertantly stopped clearing score temp variable
;weird player graphic corruption, when touching mummy, caused by missing ldy, which gave an invalid horse pointer
;bottom part of boss doesn't get damaged
Tumulus 27 :Tumulus_27.bin
Edited by yllawwally

• 2 weeks later...

Working on adding several more enemies. Still need to find 3 spots with 16 bytes each for the last 3 sets of sprites I need. Lots of minor moving to save space. Didn't really get anything fixed, only added bugs :(. 5 levels, with 5 bosses, seems to be what I'll be able to get. Each level is really only going to be different by the color. No places to jump or get around. I just don't have the room in the ROM for that much extra.

;BUGS
;tree doesn't damage player, did I want to tree to hurt player or only chase snake away.
;make dragon not move
;make dragon fire move
;Sometimes when you kill a monster, the screen flickers for a moment.When I lose horse? Or maybe only on that lane
;Seems like everything on lane one is harder to kill
;Skyline is messed up, when monsters on screen, need to adjust color palette
Version 28 : Tumulus_28.bin

• 3 months later...

Some minor fixes. Just thought I'd post, to show, the game is not dead. Just very slow moving. Looking into why the monster splits. I think I'm narrowing it down, and might get that fixed soon.

;BUGS
;make dragon not move
;make dragon fire move
;Sometimes when you kill a monster, the screen flickers for a moment.When I lose horse? Or maybe only on that lane
;FIXED
;Seems like everything on lane one is harder to kill : Not sure why I was resetting the hitpoints
;ghost doesn't stay on screen: it's not a ghost, it's a treasue without a graphic change.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Working on graphics, added a few, made some fixes. End boss Monster no longer splits.

;BUGS
;make dragon not move
;make dragon fire move
;when you kill a monster on lane 3, the screen flickers for a moment
;fire potion doesn't kill only brings them down to zero(artificially say they are hit to kill?)
;Using potion sometimes messes up creature, perhaps only on last lane
;Rat is miscolored
;FIXED
;Minor Graphics fixes
;added some new enemy graphics
;bottom part of boss no longer changes direction when hit.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been pretty busy lately. However here is a new version. Killing a creature on lane 6, no longer causes a creature on another lane to die. This was related to the Boss code. I wasn't clearing the link ID after a BOSS was shown, so that the link ID was still set to that lane. Some of the creatures couldn't damage the player, was because I accidentally replaced the list of must defeat creatures with the list of creatures that can damage the player. Hitting a creature no longer causes an increase in the line count to 263. However it now causes a reduced line count to 261. I will need to test this on my TV, and see if it's a problem that must be fixed. I changed the ordering of the monsters, this affected which ones need to be destroyed, and which can damage the player.

Tumulus_31.bin

New version, I fixed the scoring to support 5 digits, I thought I had added this a long time ago. I didn't check to see if I broke it, or never completed it. But it now works. I enhanced the skyline, I think it looks better with a changing color when enemies are on the screen. The multi-sprite bosses no longer have the line that slides through them. I had to do a bunch of moving around to get enough cycles to skip the positioning code, if it was a boss. And somehow I never noticed that the roman number for 4 was backwards, and looked like a 6, oops.

Tumulus_32.bin

Edited by yllawwally

• 2 weeks later...

Improved the potion. The potion was not damaging the enemies most of the time. I kept thinking I needed to lengthen the fire time. But it seems it would damage the first enemies, but not the rest. Now it does damage everyone, however it may be a little too powerful. I'll have to wait and see, as the levels shape up better. I might try to extend the time but reduce the damage. It seems that sometimes when you use a potion that it isn't decremented. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's getting decremented then incremented by something dying? I will need to look into this. I'm at the stage where I need to rid the game of these pesky bugs.

Tumulus_33.bin

The potion no longer damages the player. Touching a boss, no longer causes an extra line. Number of potions is now a max of 5. Still trying to figure out why when you touch a regular enemy sometimes the screen becomes 261 lines instead of 262? I haven't tried this out on a regular TV, yet. I don't know if you would even be able to tell this happens. Also, it seems that the number of potions doesn't always decrease when you use them.

Tumulus_34.bin

Still happy to see that work continues unabated. Keep it up! :)

Thanks. I'm hoping to actually finish this up this year. My vision of this game far outstripped the meager 4k I was willing to use. Which slowed progress down. But when down, my first game will work without any fancy bank switching.