IGNORED

Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death Fix-It Kits

mtshark7

I was helping my friend move last week and I noticed he still had his two broken xbox 360s (both have the RROD). So he didn't want them and said I could have them to use for parts.

A few years ago my cousin gave me his xbox 360 with the RROD and I ordered one of those xbox 360 RROD fix it kits. I installed it properly and the thing only worked for a month later before dying completely.

I was wondering is there any "Real" way to fix the RROD that is fool proof? Or is it all just a shot in the dark. Because I was gonna try and repair them if it's actually possible.

I saw this guide on Llamma's site:

http://www.llamma.co...x-clamp_fix.htm

It looks like a more permanent fix for but never tried that method before.

Any suggestions? Also I'd imagine I could buy all the hardware at a local lowes or home depot....anyone know the size of screw and washers I would need?

Thanks!

Edited by Mark T

We fixed my old Xbox 360 following a guide online (didn't use a kit—just bought the screws, etc., separately). It lasted another couple years with infrequent use. The second time we tried the fix, it didn't work. After doing the towel trick a few times (which provided about a week of being able to use my 360 each time), I finally just replaced it with a slim model.

Hmm . . . it was so long ago that I don't remember, and I can't find the guide we used online. I did find this, though:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080714214820AA46g9z

Here are the screw and washer sizes it lists:

Qty - 8 Machine Screw Pan - Phillips 5 x 10mm (DR# - 313) UPC - 030699 801282

Qty - 16 Flat Washer Nylon #10 (DR# - 610) UPC - 030699 869381

Qty - 16 Flat Washer Steel / ZINC Plated 5mm (DR# - 606) UPC - 030699 363087

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Similar story in my case. I fixed it...

http://karyyk.com/2011/xbox-360-rrod-strikes-me-again/

Unfortunately, it failed after roughly 11 months (with heavy use), and by that point I just said screw it and bought a slim to replace it. I still have it and two other broken units that my brother gave me that I intend to fix, but I just can't find the motivation to do it.

It seems with the whole red ring of death for Xbox 360 and the yellow light of death for PS3 can only be fixed temporarily.

I found a few youtube videos on fixing the RROD:

Blowtorch:

Full Proper Fix:

Another Full Video (In Parts):

All RROD fixes - towel trick, heat gunning, x-clamp replacement, reballing - are more or less temporary. But they will last longer if you take drastic steps to reduce the heat inside the unit.

Whichever fix you choose, to reduce the heat I'd recommend - replacing the crappy cpu+gpu thermal compound, doing a 12v fan mod (loud) or replacing the stock fan with talismoon whisper fan (quiet), and cutting out the metal mesh at the fan exhaust. Really it would be best to do the mod that adds an external fan blowing right onto the GPU heatsink, but some people don't like the aesthetics of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the operating temp of the original 360 chips is near the melting point of the solder and the machine doesn't have enough ventilation to compensate.

There are only 3 ways I can think of to fix the design.

Produce less heat in the first place. Moving to a new die process lowered the operating temps so the newer machine is more reliable but it does nothing for old machines.

Replaced the solder with one that melts at a higher temp. If you can figure out how to do this you will be able to create a steady business.

Reflow the existing solder and increase ventilation to lower temps in the machine.

I think the best bet is to reflow the solder, sell the machine and buy one of the newer models that fix the source of the problem.

• 1 year later...