IGNORED

Does Gamestop have enough cash to put out their own console?

It seems to me, hypothetically, that this might keep them afloat. Purchase a prototype, make it a propriatary Gamestop system, and sell them at their retail locations along with their other schlock. The shelf space will be available now (from the Used section).

Would this work? Comment and discuss!

I see this not working out for them. And if the used games sections dwindle away I see GameStop going the way of blockbusters. This would have us reverting back to how it was in the 70s and 80s shops selling new consoles and game stuff best buy sears toy stores etc.

Question is do you see GameStop with enough cash flow to stay afloat in the online only sector or store front sector of the market selling new games new consoles gift cards and new and used controller equipment. I think GameStop will go through a paradigm of being an online warehouse company with maybe stand alone sections in malls for returns and of course gift cards for. The systems and online purchasing.

Nah. Not unless it's another of those Android consoles that everybody and their brother seems to be trotting out low-budget plans for.

But I could see gamestop SAYING that they're developing a console to keep their stock prices up for a few months while their executives quietly pack their golden parachutes.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

They probably won't last long. If the used market starts to dry up because of DRM on newer consoles, obviously there won't be much they can buy price to resell.

Even if they were to go online only service, they won't get much business with used market. eBay is a real big competitor and buyer can be more picky about game condition. Plus any thieves who stole games won't want to wait 2-4 weeks to ship them in and get money when they really need marijuana or cocaine. They'd go somewhere else to sell for quick cash.

If they start closing local stores, they are probably doomed anyway. Last time I was there, I didn't find any good games to get. I did get free Club Nintendo points, the fool employee was throwing them out when they were opening new games to put on the shelf and took the disc out to prevent theft. I asked, they said go ahead. Got me a gold Nunchuk for free after spending time entering codes online. :D

• Like 1

They can create yet another platform for us to enjoy Angry Birds on! But as long as its not integrated on the toilet, I don't see it catching on.

But in reality, none of the big 3 has made any profit on the sales of their consoles alone wrt. R&D that was needed to create the device. Its the games themselves that make it profitable in the end.

So unless they have a few spare billions, I don't render it possible

GameStop is a parasite; they don't create. If they can no longer suck blood from console gaming, they'll change their name and focus on selling used smart phones and tablets. :D

i already see that happening. the stores in my area have phone and tablet sections and they're getting bigger. if they were smart they would revert to being retail for new-gen and an eBay rival for classic systems, which is actually how they started out in the first place.

i already see that happening. the stores in my area have phone and tablet sections and they're getting bigger. if they were smart they would revert to being retail for new-gen and an eBay rival for classic systems, which is actually how they started out in the first place.

but if they started selling classic consoles then they would be more expensive than Ebay .Just think, $30 for The Legend Of Zelda and $20 for E.T. :mad:

GameStop is a parasite; they don't create. If they can no longer suck blood from console gaming, they'll change their name and focus on selling used smart phones and tablets. :D

They created much of the retail/resell model that has made sure physical games don't go the way of CDs and movies. This is the only market for consumer electronics where someone, who has stores almost everywhere, sells you products, then, when you're tired of the products, gives you back some of your money to buy newer products. It is no coincidence that that market is the only one in digital media where the internet still hasn't killed retail all the way into 2013. Make no mistake: you can still buy games in physical form because of Gamestop.

• Like 1

I don't know how much money GameStop has but it doesn't make much sense to me for a used video game store to make a console. I think it would be an exaggeration to say that there would be no used games from this generation and therefore no used section. Some room may get opened up in the used section but they could just fill it up with other games. There is a retro video game store in Indianapolis I've been to a few times(the name escapes me right now). Half Price Books sells retro video games, modern games, retro and modern consoles, and computer games. Disc Replay sells retro video games, modern games, retro and modern consoles, computer games(I think), clone consoles,... There are other stores that sell used video game products that GameStop doesn't. They wouldn't sell them unless people are buying them. GameStop has a name that says,"Stop here for games." Half Price Books obviously doesn't. Disc Replay just sounds like it sells anything disc related including movies even though it sells cartridge games too. GameStop has a name that fits. It is the opposite of the cell phone and battery store called Radio Shack. Anyway, my point is any opened up space in the used section can be filled up selling used video game related products that competitors are already selling and they would do a better job at it because their name fits. There is no need to gamble with a new console when they can just sell games that people are still buying. Selling used games isn't over with yet. Besides, when that day comes, the last generation always online touch screen fingerprint retinal scan face scan barcode piss test breathalyzer blood sample bomb sniffing genital x-ray consoles will send iDrones to kill us all anyway.

It would be awesome if gamestop created their own gaming branch that put out a console with drm that prevented used game sales.

Then my day would be complete.

People complain about gamestop, but there are a lot of them, and they do have a far better selection of games than the discount mega-stores do. If you want a game that's not currently in print, odds are gamestop has it. Granted it's probably without the case/manual and you'll have to sit through the clerk's nearly robotic upsell script to buy it. I think gamestop's in for a rough ride, though. They seem to have 2-3x the number of retail locations that they should, and that's a lot of wasted resources. I think that they actually need somebody in charge with the nuts to say "hey, we've over-extended ourselves and the market's shrinking--time to close half of them." Call me weird, but I'd rather have one bigger game stop than chase around to a bunch of little ones.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

They seem to have 2-3x the number of retail locations that they should, and that's a lot of wasted resources. I think that they actually need somebody in charge with the nuts to say "hey, we've over-extended ourselves and the market's shrinking--time to close half of them." Call me weird, but I'd rather have one bigger game stop than chase around to a bunch of little ones.

This. In Florence, a nearby town, there are literally four GameStops in walking distance from one another. One inside the Florence Mall, one across the street from the Florence Mall, another behind that one in a strip mall, and another in the strip mall down the road. It's insane.

Edited by iswitt

They seem to have 2-3x the number of retail locations that they should, and that's a lot of wasted resources. I think that they actually need somebody in charge with the nuts to say "hey, we've over-extended ourselves and the market's shrinking--time to close half of them." Call me weird, but I'd rather have one bigger game stop than chase around to a bunch of little ones.

I really don't get how GameStop survives, given that they have tons of competitors (for new games, at least) and a crazy amount of stores in high-rent areas. And every time I walk into/past one, there's never anyone inside.

My honest opinion: it's a front.

• Like 3

My honest opinion: it's a front.

Just pick any recent game title, go to the counter and ask for the "special edition" of it. Sure it's the same game and costs a hundred bucks more, but the "gamestop exclusive extras" they slip in are so worth it. (if you know what I mean)

I had a bad experience with some "special edition" pokemon once, so I'd recommend not starting off on that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt gamestop would make their own. But i wish Sega would join the market again.

Or Sega can make an Android-based console without all the oddball problems the Ouya has. They can have an initial library of all their previous titles.

Just pick any recent game title, go to the counter and ask for the "special edition" of it. Sure it's the same game and costs a hundred bucks more, but the "gamestop exclusive extras" they slip in are so worth it. (if you know what I mean)

I had a bad experience with some "special edition" pokemon once, so I'd recommend not starting off on that.

$100 more? You are ripping yourself off! I ask for a used special edition. The needle may be used but the junk is just as good.