IGNORED

SIO2PD v1.02

w1k

Well,

with 299 Zloty or 70-75 Euro it is approx. 50% cheaper than the Abbuc version (half the price!), but there are lots of un-answered questions (and since I do not understand polish language and google-translate does not help much, I ask these questions here):

- what pen/stick size is supported (up to max. xGB or FAT16, FAT32, etc.) ? USB 2.0 only I guess or would USB 3.0 be possible ?!?

- how many drives are supported ? more than one I hope...

- standard-speed with 19.2kBaud is nice, but how about ultraspeed (Happy / Speedy, etc.) or HIAS high-speed-OS with up to 126kBaud ?!?

- ATR images are "read only" - no write / format possible ? doh !

- are other formats (e.g. XFD, XEX) supported also ?

- are there any further OS / Firmware Updates ? (think with Google-translate I read somewhere the OS is final ?!?)

- 8.3 filenames only, 8 chars for filename and 3 for extender, ok; but: image-file must not have .ATR extender ?!?

(which hopefully means, that a file inside the image must not have ATR extender ?!?)

- what about some software / firmware for this device (is it included onboard on a chip or do we need to load a certain ATR-image from the stick ? e.g. SDrive requires a) folder "Atari" and b) SDrive.ATR to work, SIO2SD requires a) folder "Atari" and b) SIO2SD.XEX to work - what about this device ?)

- what size does the pcb have - and therefore what minimum size is required for an enclosure ?!?

Enough for now, it would be good if some of these questions could be answered... -Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I will not anwser Your questions, byt i will translate the item main part of description. Thats THE ONLY source of ANY info about this device.

[... ble ble ble ...]

Some tech spces of the device:

- the device allows to mount ATR images with 128 and 256 bytes sectors.

- ATR images are supported in READ OLNY mode.

- the speed is a standard atari SIO at 19200bps.

- support for 8.3 filenames ONLY.

- ATR images are not required to have .ATR extension.

- subfolders support.

- minimal amount of entries in folder:1, maximum 254 (also in root folder) .

- aphabetical sorting of entries in folders.

- moving forward and backward by 1 or 16 entries.

- the firmware is closed source, but there is possible to BUY a cpu with newest firmware, and update device by swapping the cpu in the socket.

- possibility to change images and drives numbers on the fly.

[... ble ble ble ...]

and the funniest part:

ATTENTION: the seller do not take responsibility if some ATR will not be compatible with the device. If you do not agree, please do not bid.

at least look at the pictures:

there is an email on the PCB: cbba@go2.pl - asking goole about that email is giving almost nothing.

There is also a special internet phorum for thisinterface: http://ataridevs.eu/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=12 but is also empty ... nothing ... only info about initial release version number: 1.02

So, i will say:

You are buying something like "what you see is what you get"

There is absolute no support and i would say no warranty.

In case of bad firmware or bugs in fw you have to buy an upgrade (oops).

NOBODY (excluding the author) saw the device working ... try to ask google about sio2pd.

I hope that you can understand my not so good english ;D

Thus it's the auction of brain-damaged forum troll (or at least the one that want to be perceived by brain-damaged person, still being forum troll), and IIRC no one from AtariArea or AtariOnline hasn't bought anything from him. Overall - waste of time.

But... w1k - you can be first! :D

Edited by miker

Looking at the specification and device itself, the conclusion can be only one: hopeless piece of hardware! Nowhere near SIO2SD, so there is only one advice: AVOID ;)

yes, but cost 1-2 EUROS

1-2 EUROS its that same like 0 EUROS - GRATIS

Edited by w1k

When it only provides PenDrive-access, why is it so big then? Seems to occupy more circuits than the Atari itself. And why the heck did he kill the SIO-Port of the Atari? Better just create an adaptor.

Anyway: It is a real alternative to the SIO2USB, as the latter is not available by stock. Hardware is only useful, if you can buy it, and currently no new SIO2USB are available. I personally do not use PenDrives at all. Since Incognito, MyIDE 2, SIDE (2) etc. I am just fine with SD and CF cards. :)

Nice video -- thanks for posting. Clearly works. I hope the developer continues to improve the device. It does lack a couple of useful features. It is big. But as SKR mentions, one can actually buy it. I personally don't see any advantage to USB drives versus CF or SD cards for this type of application, but its nice to see that someone has created a new, much lower cost model. Good luck to the developer!

-Larry