IGNORED

test subjects needed.

marc.hull

Attached is a file called soundtest.zip. It is a 90K disk image. I need some volunteers to please DL & convert the file to a SSSD disk and run the EA5 executable called soundtest. The program will not damage your TI in anyway. It will flash some text and make some random noise for about 5 seconds and either display an all clear message or lock up at some point.

I would like to here from anyone who executes this especially if you get a lock up condition. If you do get a lockup will you please report the date code on the bottom of the computer as well as whether it is a 4 or 4A ?

Thanks.

Marc

soundtest.zip

Thanks Rocky.. What is the date code on the console if you don't mind ?

Hi, i tested today on my 3 TI994A :

A929JWPHC004A LTA2483 Beige TI994A USA

A929JWPHC004A LTA4882 Black TI994A EUROPE with "Solid State Software" label

A929JWPHC004A LTA0783 Black TI994A EUROPE without "Solid State Software" label

All returns "ALL GOOD, PRESS QUIT"

Hi, i tested today on my 3 TI994A :

A929JWPHC004A LTA2483 Beige TI994A USA

A929JWPHC004A LTA4882 Black TI994A EUROPE with "Solid State Software" label

A929JWPHC004A LTA0783 Black TI994A EUROPE without "Solid State Software" label

All returns "ALL GOOD, PRESS QUIT"

Ok thanks again Rocky.... Anyone have an early say 81 console to test with ?

I think it's the early ones that are (reputed) to have a problem. Later models (apparently) introduced a PAL to mop up some of the discrete logic, and apparently fix this problem at the same time.

Thing is, I thought the model with the PALs in them were the "cost reduced" model - basically the beige console, which is beige to save costs, and also uses PALs on the boards to reduce chip count, as thus save costs.

The Bunyard book is very unclear on this, but its starting to sound like a non-issue - unless the '81 versions are affected.

I think it's the early ones that are (reputed) to have a problem. Later models (apparently) introduced a PAL to mop up some of the discrete logic, and apparently fix this problem at the same time.

Thing is, I thought the model with the PALs in them were the "cost reduced" model - basically the beige console, which is beige to save costs, and also uses PALs on the boards to reduce chip count, as thus save costs.

The Bunyard book is very unclear on this, but its starting to sound like a non-issue - unless the '81 versions are affected.

Yea the warning I read (in bold no less and several times) was from that manual. Furthur discussions with a friend has yielded that the READY line from the sound IC is not activated until both *WE and *CE and active and a read will not bring *WE low. Therefore the READY line lockup can not occur during a read. So now it becomes a WTF situation. Did this bunyard guy have first hand knowledge of something or was he simply repeating some dire TI warning which may or may not have been based in fact. As we know TI published some info that turned out not to be so true (at least with the 4A...)

The consoles I have tested with do not have PALs in them and they work but they are all 82 or later. I am specifically interested now in whether or not the console with the coax clock line is the one that produces the behavior (if it turns out to be legitimate behavior.)

Mike Bunyard was the chief engineer for the reduced component count /4A and also for the 99/8. He wrote MOST of the TI internal documentation for these systems. I would say he definitely knew what he was talking about--though it would have been based on tests he and others did at specific times in the production process, so date codes may be very important here. I wonder what would happen if I dug out my 99/4 from Oct of 1979 and tested it? If I have enough time, I will, but no guarantees right now, as my boys are just getting out of school and I am one of those victims of sequestration=mandatory 20% pay cut for three months, with no decrease in expected work output (although the work schedule is cut by 20% as well). I'll be scrambling to keep those dudes occupied. . .at least they are young enough that their pleasures are not too hazardous on the pocketbook!