IGNORED

Montezuma's Revenge Differences

Manoau2002

So I own a cart of Montezuma's Revenge. I also play a ROM version via emulation. In the ROM version the spiders are little dots and if you press 1 after you run out of lives you get one continue. In the cart version the spiders look like spiders and you get no continues. One time after using all my guys the cart version gave me what appears to be infinite lives. Is the ROM a prototype version or is there multiple versions of the game? Why did I get the infinite lives? Thanks.

Hmmm! I have the cartridge version and spider look like spiders.

When you lose all your lifes, I just press a button and I'm able to continue with another set of lifes, but with zero points, then if I lose all lifes the game doesn't allow further continue.

So I own a cart of Montezuma's Revenge. I also play a ROM version via emulation. In the ROM version the spiders are little dots and if you press 1 after you run out of lives you get one continue. In the cart version the spiders look like spiders and you get no continues. One time after using all my guys the cart version gave me what appears to be infinite lives. Is the ROM a prototype version or is there multiple versions of the game? Why did I get the infinite lives? Thanks.

Sounds like the the rom version is corrupted or hacked.

Try the rom file attached below. I dumped my cart and compared it to the one in the public domain and found the following:

1) The game data appears to only fill the first 12k of the rom, while the actual rom size is 16k.

2) In the public domain rom the 12 to 16k space starts off being filled with "ff", however it then changes to every other value being different, e.g. "ff e3 ff d0 ff f7" etc.

3) In my dump the first 12k of the rom is identical to the rom in the public domain, however the 12 to 16k space is consistently filled with "d5". I have no idea if this will make any difference.

Give it a try and let me know. I'm working on redumping and verifying my CV rom set, including the CBS releases which are different in a few cases, and so your feedback will be very useful.

Montezuma's Revenge (1984)(Parker Bros).zip

• Like 1

Try the rom file attached below. I dumped my cart and compared it to the one in the public domain and found the following:

1) The game data appears to only fill the first 12k of the rom, while the actual rom size is 16k.

2) In the public domain rom the 12 to 16k space starts off being filled with "ff", however it then changes to every other value being different, e.g. "ff e3 ff d0 ff f7" etc.

3) In my dump the first 12k of the rom is identical to the rom in the public domain, however the 12 to 16k space is consistently filled with "d5". I have no idea if this will make any difference.

Give it a try and let me know. I'm working on redumping and verifying my CV rom set, including the CBS releases which are different in a few cases, and so your feedback will be very useful.

All be tied up with work the next few days but all give it a try.

Does anyone know what would cause the infinite lives in the cart version. Thats whats really throwing me off.

All be tied up with work the next few days but all give it a try.

Does anyone know what would cause the infinite lives in the cart version. Thats whats really throwing me off.

I don't EVER recall seeing a hacked rom image version of Mont. Rev. anywhere, so maybe you got lucky and downloaded one without even knowing it.

Another possibility is the emulator that you are using. Some emulators have cheat options and maybe you have the cheat option turned on and didn't realize it.

Or, it could just be one of those things that happen and can't be explained.

I'm working on redumping and verifying my CV rom set, including the CBS releases which are different in a few cases, and so your feedback will be very useful.

Great to hear Ikrananka. I was planning on doing the same thing, but just haven't had the time of late. I am still going to procede with dumping all my games again and then we could compare CRCs with your dumps to know if there are differences.

One thing, I will be using a Cart Dumper that automatically creates a 32K rom image even if the game doesn't actually use all that space (8K, 12K, 16K, 20K, 24K) as this is the best method to use to guarantee a good dump. With today's large storage options, it's not a concern to waste a little space.

I don't EVER recall seeing a hacked rom image version of Mont. Rev. anywhere, so maybe you got lucky and downloaded one without even knowing it.

Another possibility is the emulator that you are using. Some emulators have cheat options and maybe you have the cheat option turned on and didn't realize it.

Or, it could just be one of those things that happen and can't be explained.

The infinite lives was on a cartridge played on real hardware. Sometimes it lets you continue sometimes it doesnt.

My friend had this game in 1984

I clearly recall to see him messing around the cart inserted and CV powered on and he was able to "trick" the game and have plenty of lives

Now guess, why almost every CV consoles are f@&$&o; up ?

Interesting. You always hear about 2600 'Frying' but I've never heard of anyone doing that on a Colecovision. Maybe someone should investigate this further?

My friend had this game in 1984

I clearly recall to see him messing around the cart inserted and CV powered on and he was able to "trick" the game and have plenty of lives

Now guess, why almost every CV consoles are f@&$&o; up ?

Its the infinite lives thing that caused me to write the post. It happen in the first room ( on easy mode) that you slide down poles onto a skeletons head. I ran out of lives than instead of saying game over it gave me a lot or infinite lives.

Its the infinite lives thing that caused me to write the post. It happen in the first room ( on easy mode) that you slide down poles onto a skeletons head. I ran out of lives than instead of saying game over it gave me a lot or infinite lives.

You should really post a video of this

I'm curious now

I have only had this occur one time. If I ever figure out how this occurred and can replicate it all make a video.

Ok, I understand now

So I'm pretty sure you happen to did the same thing my friend did back in day

My friend were always mess with the cart inserted power on with almost all his CV games

He was able to "trick" out the games by doing this

• 8 years later...

I played this game as a child. 

I clearly recall a room where I could jump into a chain and land on a spider at the same time. If I was on my last man I would get “infinite lives”. 

If done perfect it worked or game over. 

The lives last a long long time but eventually ran out. 

Mostly once the rooms started getting dark and it was basically impossible. 

I had a Calico Vision console.