IGNORED

Just picked up a new 7800

128Kgames

In anticipation of the XM module being released (got in on it at the beginning of May finally) I picked up a 7800 off of eBay in like-new condition. The box is beat to hell, but the console, controllers and everything else in the box is pristine. Still has the protective film on it, as do the controllers.

I had one about 12 -13 years ago but was building back up my Neo Geo collection and sold it off. The one I picked up came with 16 games (even a boxed dup of Pole Position II, for whatever reason) but I'd like to pick up some really "must have" games for the console.

Can anybody recommend some? Or point me to any lists of the top games?

I'm looking forward to breaking her in real good over the next couple of weeks.

I second the suggestion to pick up PacmanPlus' homebrews. I have Scramble and Super Circus Atari Age, and they're both great. Available via the AA Store, I believe.

As for original releases, I am really liking Commando these days. I have an arcade stick with two-button functionality, and it's great with Commando.

I'm a relatively-new 7800 owner. I poo-poo'ed the system in years past, for the TIA sound, etc.

After an A / V mod and some of Yurkie's controllers, I really like it! The TIA sound ain't as bad as I thought. The controllers were, prior to Yurkie mods.

The sprites are awesome, and Joust is awesome!

I enjoy it, with a couple little mods. I'm thinking about the XM now. But I like the system! With more sprites and more colors per sprite, it definitely brought something new to the table, for the 6502-based generation. I'm glad I own it!

• Like 1

My personal list of must haves: (I know I'm missing some, but its just based on what I have.)

Robotron

Mario Bros

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr

Joust

Dig Dug

Commando

Centipede

Xevious

I would say any of the homebrews available are also top notch. I play Super Pac Man, Scramble, Rip Off, and Super Circus Atari as much or more than I do the rest of my collection combined. Just waiting on the XM enhanced versions of the others.

As mentioned all of PacManPlus' games are great. Pac-Man Collection gives you several of the Pac-Man series of games (Pac-Man, Pac-Man Plus, Ms. Pac-Man, Hangly Man) along with a variety of new random mazes and a Ms. Pac-Man Plus edition. Space Invaders Collection also provides original and deluxe versions with additional options. There's a slew of other titles as well.

Not to forget also bon*Q (Q-Bert), Beef Drop (Burgertime), and keep an eye pealed for Froggie (Frogger).

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=23

The XM module is a must, especially for the near arcade-perfect port of Donkey Kong XM, along with providing POKEY sound to the Beef Drop game (The value edition is the only one offered in the store - No POKEY chip present, but the code to run POKEY is there and will play under the XM module). Bentley Bear will also be silent without it as well.

My favorites that I always keep near the system,

Food Fight

$5-$10

Xevious

$5-$10

Double Dragon (hard as hell, I love it)

$30-$50

Xenophobe

$10-$30

Tower Toppler

$5-$10

Ninja Golf

$30-$50

Klax

I got this one recently.. can't remember where, but got the box ect. Im sure someone on here would know the link. I think I paid around $50 or so.

Basketbrawl

$60-100

Waiting on my copies of the Pac man collection and Beef Drop, those look excellent and Im sure will become favs of mine.

I would recommend XenoPhobe for sure the atari 7800 version is just great.Failsafe is great i would recommend that as far as homebrew titles go.Dark Chambers is also a good game for the system its becomming kinda pricey now in days also xevious and Joust is a must.Now the backwards compatibility of the 7800 to play 2600 games is great some super good titles to pick up there like,Titlematch Pro Wrestling the 2600 version is just simply way cheaper then the 7800 version and to me it is just as good also Tomcat the F14 flight sim is great that one was mislabeled as the 2600 version but actually it is for the 7800 you can tell by looking at the circut board of the game it is wider this is the 7800 version.Great great game!Some other good titles are Crossbow,Super Huey,Jinks.and Robotron 2084.Also some other great titles you may want to look into is the 2600 Ram plus titles from CBS electronics specially Tunnel Runner another good one is Wizards of Wor no ram plus option there.Anyway these are just some great titles to think about and are absolutly in my opinion good to own welcome back to the Atari 7800 scene ^^

Edited by CrimsonAtari

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll start getting to work on putting my own list together based on that.

Does that O'Shea place still have 7800 games for sale? I remember picking up a bunch of games from them when I had my first 7800 and they were brand new.

-Paperboy

-Road Blasters

-Pacmania

-Gyruss

-Gauntlet

-Hero

-Bosconian

-Mappy

-Bad Dudes

.....oh wait, those are games I would LOVE to see... :grin: :P

Lol started reading your list and was like wtf? Am I missing out on some amazing homebrew somewhere??

• Like 1

Best still has boxed 7800 games. It is how I got my collection started here a month or two ago. So far my experience has been that some of the best games have been updated ports. Joust is AMAZING and Ms. Pac-Man is pretty good too.

• 1 month later...

Are there any online stores selling new boxed 7800 games other than Best? It sucks that O'Shea sold them for scrap (sacrilege!) as I would liked to have picked some up.

I don't know if you're adverse to using Ebay but there are *always* nib games for the 7800 listed, the commons are usually really cheap. However some of the rarer ones (like double dragon nib) go for a much higher price.

Thanks, almost forgot about 4jays, haven't bought from them in years. I may pick up a few from them.

I don't know if you're adverse to using Ebay but there are *always* nib games for the 7800 listed, the commons are usually really cheap. However some of the rarer ones (like double dragon nib) go for a much higher price.

Yeah, I've been looking but even with the low prices the shipping is going to add up. Back when I got my first 7800 off eBay people where dumping 7800 carts in lots, brand new and sealed. That's how I picked up most of the titles, but it doesn't seem like anybody is selling them like that anymore.

I really have to start learning not to sell anything I only have one of, ever again.