IGNORED

Bacon power!

A little something I've been cooking up :-

post-21935-0-48601200-1370815248_thumb.jpgpost-21935-0-12092300-1370815257_thumb.jpg

post-21935-0-01495000-1370815272_thumb.jpg

Its a prototype micro SD based multi-cart. The project is in no way related to Voltron's Psychotron Multicart and I wish both him and his team the best of luck with their project.

My aims for this multi-cart are :-

• Behaves like a removable hard drive when plugged into a host PC via its mini USB connector.
  • Compatible with Windows/Linux/Mac OS.
  • Drag and drop (no special menu/config/driver software needed).
  • Micro SD support up to 2GB.
  • Support FAT12/FAT16/FAT32.
  • Support long file names.
  • Support folders/directories.
  • Support for *.rom, *.bin+*.cfg and *.int ROM images.
  • Play ECS games without the ECS plugged in (you'll need the ECS BIOS on the micro SD card).
  • New features for homebrew games (to be decided ;)).
  • User upgradeable for firmware updates.

The prototype shown above is oversized and won't fit into a normal Mattel cart shell. The two black connectors located either side of the blue PCB are there so that I can hook it up to my logic analyser easily. The micro SD connector is located on the underside of the PCB and the mini USB is at the back. The long blue PCB is an ARM based LPCxpresso development board with a built in (and removable) USB JTAG programmer.

There is still some engineering work to do and quite a bit of software to write before it even goes near an Intellivision.

Once the multi-cart design has been signed off the next version will be the size of a standard Mattel PCB.

The final version will be CIB (Yep! A BOX!!!!!!! :lolblue:). Its micro SD card will have the following software pre-installed :-

• Rocketeer teaser ROM.
  • Mars Minis teaser ROM.
  • Controller test utility (could also test IntelliVoice, ECS RAM etc.).
  • Firmware test utility.
  • Teaser ROMs of my other games (where available).

The micro SD card will not be supplied with any other software. Its down to the end user what they put on it.

I'll be updating this thread as the project progresses.

• Like 18

Groovy, thank you for quickly answering the box question (in the affirmative I might add), but one bigger question remains....,with this be so idiot proof to use that even Rev and I will be able to use it? That, my friend, is the gold standard in user friendliness when morons like Rev and I can use technology the way it was meant to be used right out of THE BOX (not to put too much emphasis on how excited I am that this will come in a sweet Nonner designed (?) box. :)

Yay. Just sayin.

• Like 1

With a title Like Bacon Power, this thread may not get the attention it deserves!

well, except for all of the bacon freaks out there. LOLOLOL

Agreed... I almost skipped it...But saw Groovybee posted it...Thus, making it something to read!

Put me on the list for at least 1... If I have any money, I'll take 2....

1980gamer.

• Like 1

Oh man shit just got real lol! Didn't see myself ever getting a Cuttlecart or tacking down a full collection, I just want to play the games on the actual console, I only have an INTVII but have been mulling over selling it but I would totally keep it if a good and reasonable SD multicart came out! In fact I will likely track down more Intellivision models if I get one! Finally, if this comes to pass I see Cuttlecarts suddenly appearing quickly for sale lol.....

• Like 1

Oh man shit just got real lol! Didn't see myself ever getting a Cuttlecart or tacking down a full collection, I just want to play the games on the actual console, I only have an INTVII but have been mulling over selling it but I would totally keep it if a good and reasonable SD multicart came out! In fact I will likely track down more Intellivision models if I get one! Finally, if this comes to pass I see Cuttlecarts suddenly appearing quickly for sale lol.....

Or will certain Intv hoarders buy up all the CC3's?

*cough* cmart *cough* Rev *cough*

• Like 2

Any way to make SD vs. MicroSD fit? I tend to lose MicroSD cards due to size. I guess if microSD is internal and one just uses USB to cable to transfer files, then I won't lose the cart.

I plan on buying both multicart.

Very cool

• Like 1