IGNORED

ebay and smoking

grips03

I bought a light gun off ebay, & also some LEGO boat parts from smokers on 2 seperate occasions. Both times i put the items in a gallon ziploc with a scented dryer sheet or 2. Works great!

Just make sure the baggie is completely closed/sealed. Sounds like youll need a bigger baggie.

You know, for a guy that has as many Intellivisions as I have, I've never taken one apart for any reason.

Only possible drawback to not taking consoles apart is bugs, as in cockroaches. I used to hit thrift stores often and had a roach crawl out of an NES console once. They tend to like the inside of electronics for some odd reason.,

Just a note -- please don't use scented dryer sheets on anything you intend to sell. Some of us find that odor just as gross as cigarette smoke, and can get nasty headaches from certain scents. I'm not usually bothered (my parents are much more sensitive), but when something does affect me, I can get a wicked migraine-like headache from it. I'll take tobacco odor any day over that.

They make unscented dryer sheets (assuming that the scented dryer sheets aren't just masking the odor), so one could try those -- or alternatively, I'm told kitty litter works well.

Why would anybody choose to smoke anyway? Not only is it gross and disgusting, it is nothing more than a slow form of suicide. It shows that you have no respect for your own body or life (not to mention others around you).

Hmmm...low post count and direct attacks on smokers might be a troll post but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :)

It's usually pretty young when people choose to smoke (teen years) at that age it actually is cool to many people, you get a tough/don't care/self destructive image, some girls like that in high school (just think about how many attractive women that have had a relationship or even a kid with some loser back in there teens or early 20's) You get a rush from smoking, you get an entire new group of smoking friends, in that group will be the dumber/criminal type that many women strangly find attractive at age 16 and many guys will think are "cool" because they get chicks and they want chicks too. I assure you the guys stealing cars in high school also smoke and are also getting laid while doing little or nothing to prepare for a future in life, it's just how it works at that age (and sadly for some adults)

Most teens do not give a shit about the future, ask how many think about starting a 401k/Roth IRA or take vitamins or actually WANT to go to college for a real career/future and not something dumb or just to party and you will see it's rather low, lol. Many generally want to do bad destructive stuff or even just be a part of it with people that do, smoking is an easy way to achieve that and get a little buzz too. You get to "hang with" or actually be one of the "bad kids" Easy way to talk to other girl (or boy) smokers ("got a light" or "wanna go have a smoke") Now you have 10-15 minutes to talk to a girl alone. It is really instant acceptance into a group in your teen years. I remember a girl that would come stand with all of us, light a cigarette and just stand there never puffing it and talk with us. Eventually it was figured out she didn't know how to smoke/etc but just wanted to hang with us, she could have anyways but thats how teens think, lol. Just some examples of why teens choose to smoke or steal cars or do any number of totally stupid things. Usually members of the opposite sex are involved. I know the first time I tried smoking it was with a few girls and I completely abandoned anything I knew about the dangers of smoking. They were HOT!!

Flash forward, you have been smoking 10 years and no longer enjoy it, think daily about how stupid it is but are now addicted because well, it IS and addictive drug. Most girls no longer find it attractive and the ones that do smoke themselves and are starting to show "battle scars" from it, not to mention nasty hacking coughs, lol. Some people quit at this point (myself included), some people just keep going on and get cancer and die...quitting smoking is VERY mental, I've had a few here and there in the last 10-15 years and I'll tell you the NOSTALGIA blast you get is second to none (if you were a teen smoker of course). Anybody here knows how addictive nostalgia is, hell I've quit smoking and I don't think I could ever quit classic video games, I'm addicted to the nostalgia, I spend thousands a year on these silly plastic carts. That happens with smoking too and a large part that brings people back to it...you remember a time where you had no stress or responsibility...your teen years.

Smoking isn't the only way teens achieve this level of stupidity though. I still remember back in high school we had a party down by the river, lots of "trouble maker" types were present and me and the rest of the guys were seeing who could do the most pull ups on a 100 foot bridge cat walk over a big slab of rock while the girls cheered us on. I did 10 and almost fell to my death, it was just plain stupid and showed a total "lack of respect for my own body and life" (as you put it) but I did get noticed, felt like a total bad ass, got a lot of attention for it and coincidently did have sex that night, lol. Strange how things work...I could only imagine what would happen if I did something like that now, my Wife would probably have me checked out by professionals or divorce me ;) Smoking is another way people get noticed when they are young, remember, breaking the rules is cool back then.

Teenagers are notorius for self destructive behavior. It's easy as an adult to say "why would someone choose to smoke?" or why drive over 100mph? or why drop out of high school/etc?..why shoot someone to be in a gang? why do drugs? but teens think differently. I have a damn grim reaper tattoo on my arm, got it when I was 17, do you think I would get that now? Looked bad ass with my Slayer shirt but now I'm usually trying to hide it, lol. Smoking IS pretty much everything you said in your post and thats part of why teens choose to do it. Imagine saying that exact phrase to a group of teens, they would laugh in your face but with a group of adults (although you would have to word it a little less pompous) many would probably say "I know, I'm trying to quit"

I'm strongly pondering telling my daughters that smoking is cool in hopes that they will not smoke to defy me. If history repeats itself the second me as a father says NEVER SMOKE to my teenage daughters they will be curious about it, lol.

• Like 3

They made 21 homebrews for the INTV? Is there a list somewhere?

WIth all the new games coming out, the number is higher than 21 already. I haven't been on the forum much the last few weeks, and since then there have been so many announcements. The best and yet worst announcement, is that Intellegentivision is selling off new old stock - awesome for the INTV Brotherhood, bad cash timing situation for me :(

Hmmm...low post count and direct attacks on smokers might be a troll post but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :)

It's usually pretty young when people choose to smoke (teen years) at that age it actually is cool to many people, you get a tough/don't care/self destructive image, some girls like that in high school (just think about how many attractive women that have had a relationship or even a kid with some loser back in there teens or early 20's) You get a rush from smoking, you get an entire new group of smoking friends, in that group will be the dumber/criminal type that many women strangly find attractive at age 16 and many guys will think are "cool" because they get chicks and they want chicks too. I assure you the guys stealing cars in high school also smoke and are also getting laid while doing little or nothing to prepare for a future in life, it's just how it works at that age (and sadly for some adults)

Most teens do not give a shit about the future, ask how many think about starting a 401k/Roth IRA or take vitamins or actually WANT to go to college for a real career/future and not something dumb or just to party and you will see it's rather low, lol. Many generally want to do bad destructive stuff or even just be a part of it with people that do, smoking is an easy way to achieve that and get a little buzz too. You get to "hang with" or actually be one of the "bad kids" Easy way to talk to other girl (or boy) smokers ("got a light" or "wanna go have a smoke") Now you have 10-15 minutes to talk to a girl alone. It is really instant acceptance into a group in your teen years. I remember a girl that would come stand with all of us, light a cigarette and just stand there never puffing it and talk with us. Eventually it was figured out she didn't know how to smoke/etc but just wanted to hang with us, she could have anyways but thats how teens think, lol. Just some examples of why teens choose to smoke or steal cars or do any number of totally stupid things. Usually members of the opposite sex are involved. I know the first time I tried smoking it was with a few girls and I completely abandoned anything I knew about the dangers of smoking. They were HOT!!

Flash forward, you have been smoking 10 years and no longer enjoy it, think daily about how stupid it is but are now addicted because well, it IS and addictive drug. Most girls no longer find it attractive and the ones that do smoke themselves and are starting to show "battle scars" from it, not to mention nasty hacking coughs, lol. Some people quit at this point (myself included), some people just keep going on and get cancer and die...quitting smoking is VERY mental, I've had a few here and there in the last 10-15 years and I'll tell you the NOSTALGIA blast you get is second to none (if you were a teen smoker of course). Anybody here knows how addictive nostalgia is, hell I've quit smoking and I don't think I could ever quit classic video games, I'm addicted to the nostalgia, I spend thousands a year on these silly plastic carts. That happens with smoking too and a large part that brings people back to it...you remember a time where you had no stress or responsibility...your teen years.

Smoking isn't the only way teens achieve this level of stupidity though. I still remember back in high school we had a party down by the river, lots of "trouble maker" types were present and me and the rest of the guys were seeing who could do the most pull ups on a 100 foot bridge cat walk over a big slab of rock while the girls cheered us on. I did 10 and almost fell to my death, it was just plain stupid and showed a total "lack of respect for my own body and life" (as you put it) but I did get noticed, felt like a total bad ass, got a lot of attention for it and coincidently did have sex that night, lol. Strange how things work...I could only imagine what would happen if I did something like that now, my Wife would probably have me checked out by professionals or divorce me ;) Smoking is another way people get noticed when they are young, remember, breaking the rules is cool back then.

Teenagers are notorius for self destructive behavior. It's easy as an adult to say "why would someone choose to smoke?" or why drive over 100mph? or why drop out of high school/etc?..why shoot someone to be in a gang? why do drugs? but teens think differently. I have a damn grim reaper tattoo on my arm, got it when I was 17, do you think I would get that now? Looked bad ass with my Slayer shirt but now I'm usually trying to hide it, lol. Smoking IS pretty much everything you said in your post and thats part of why teens choose to do it. Imagine saying that exact phrase to a group of teens, they would laugh in your face but with a group of adults (although you would have to word it a little less pompous) many would probably say "I know, I'm trying to quit"

I'm strongly pondering telling my daughters that smoking is cool in hopes that they will not smoke to defy me. If history repeats itself the second me as a father says NEVER SMOKE to my teenage daughters they will be curious about it, lol.

I read what you wrote, but none of the "teenage-constructed reasons" for smoking make sense to me. At least not when compared with what I said before, that smoking is nothing but a slow suicide. None of the things that you mentioned (getting attention, being cool, getting to hang out with the opposite sex) are worth ending your life for. Teens who think this way have some major neurological malfunctions, in terms of being able to think past the present moment and getting their priorities straight. How anybody can think of themselves as "invincible" is beyond my level of comprehension.

I read what you wrote, but none of the "teenage-constructed reasons" for smoking make sense to me. At least not when compared with what I said before, that smoking is nothing but a slow suicide. None of the things that you mentioned (getting attention, being cool, getting to hang out with the opposite sex) are worth ending your life for. Teens who think this way have some major neurological malfunctions, in terms of being able to think past the present moment and getting their priorities straight. How anybody can think of themselves as "invincible" is beyond my level of comprehension.

Some of us had very bad parenting, practically doomed from birth. I was raised around Bikers, real bikers in the 1970's - not the weekend wannabees like we have now. When you are in a certain enviroment, kids don't know better. If you even knew 1/10th of the things I did between the ages of 10-25yo, there would be piss running down your leg right now. Your judmental tone is trite.

Rare is the teen who has his/her priorities strait.

I was a geek (and certainly not in the in-crowd) and didn't have any urge to smoke. It also "helps" that I had some close relatives die of lung cancer. Nothin quite like watching someone wither away and die to keep you from doing it yourself.

Bu to say that anyone who smokes has mental problems is harsh. I have too many other vices so I can't be hypocritical and judge others ...

I'm sorry, but I have very little tolerance for people who think they can outwit God in the game of life. None of us are invincible/immortal. Parents should teach their kids that concept before they become a teen. If they don't, then they have no business becoming parents in the first place. If you play with fire of any kind (including cigarettes), then you're going to get burned.

I'm sorry, but I have very little tolerance for people who think they can outwit God in the game of life. None of us are invincible/immortal. Parents should teach their kids that concept before they become a teen. If they don't, then they have no business becoming parents in the first place. If you play with fire of any kind (including cigarettes), then you're going to get burned.

Dude, you are talking about cigarettes and not about crack! I never smoked in my whole life, but I strictly avoid to forbid anybody to smoke in his home if he wants to. Of course its something different if you have children, but smoking is no crime. In my opinion such statements just show your ignorance and intolerance. Just my 50 cent, also I dont like such discussions in a videogame board.

By the way, someone should tell Helmut Schmidt (former german chancellor) that smoking kills immediately! He smokes a lot and is 95 :P (I wont deny the fact that its unhealthy, but it doesnt is the same like a death sentence)

Zigaretten_37225618.jpg

Edited by Ignorama

Woah! I bet you're a hit at parties! Lady killa...ha cha cha ;)

It's actually statements like your above posting that drive teens towards cigs and other stuff. You are actually making smoking cooler by the minute with that kind of talk, lol. We all know they are bad and smoking is dumb but those statements are sooo over the top nerdy that it makes me want to go have a smoke now just so I don't get lumped into your group and end up like that someday ;)

I remember being in High School and trying to explain to my "cooler" friends that D&D is actually pretty fun. I pretty much had them on board to try it out and it would have been an awesome session of like 10 people. Then one of my other (D&D buddy) shows up to school wearing a freakin hooded cloak and staff to "greet" them to our world or some bullshit. Yeah, after that it was a lost cause, lol

My point...

Your extreme stance on smoking actually makes it cooler, something you do not understand, thus making you uncool, and the saga of teens defying extreme thinking continues for another generation ;)

I'm pretty sure your trolling though, the "no business becoming parents in the first place" gave it away...

Tou-che' Eric, ya got me :)

I remember being in High School and trying to explain to my "cooler" friends that D&D is actually pretty fun. I pretty much had them on board to try it out and it would have been an awesome session of like 10 people. Then one of my other (D&D buddy) shows up to school wearing a freakin hooded cloak and staff to "greet" them to our world or some bullshit. Yeah, after that it was a lost cause, lol

So ... are you suggesting that our world wasn't cool?

post-31049-0-99602600-1371132635_thumb.jpg

Damn ... no wonder I got beat up so much in Jr. High ...

• Like 1