IGNORED

Will loyal xbox owners jump ship?

As a huge fan of the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 it pains me to say this but goodbye Microsoft.

I guess we just grew apart and see the world differently today. I will always remember the good times we had together but it's time for us to go our sepererate ways....

• Like 4

I thought Microsoft was good until now. EA can kiss my ass. They were totally on board with Microsoft with the restrictions.

Of Course EA was on board. more games traded in equals more revenue....and how many EA games get traded in? TONNES! since they are mostly bad.

I keep hoping some other company will bring out a new modern console that will be put together with the mistakes of the other companies in mind. The new console might be called Just. It would be short for just games. It would also be a play on words because they'd want to do their best to be just (ethically right). No scams, no B.S., no expiration dates, just games; games that are just.

• Like 1

I know I have. In order to retain my loyalty, Microsoft would have to prove their loyalty to me. However, they've only shown concern for their marketing partners, sponsors, and licensees. Electronic Arts. Activision. NFL. Doritos. Mountain Dew. And so on. There's no feature in the Xbox One that wasn't included for the benefit of these individuals, because they sure as hell don't benefit me, or other gamers.

You know how the Xbox One was the only one of the three major console manufacturers who included restrictive DRM on game discs? The man currently in charge of the Xbox brand is Don Mattrick, who previously worked at Electronic Arts for twenty-five years. That can't be a coincidence. A more cynical person would think that Mr. Mattrick was still drawing a paycheck from EA...

• Like 6

Okay guys Im gonna say this here and you tell me if you think im crazy. IF PEOPLE ARE WEARY TO BUY THE XBOX ONE BECAUSE OF USED GAME AND OR ALWAYS ON LINE GAMES.. or really anything that has to do with Microsofts controversial policies, MS will simply change their policies. They arent gonna let the system die. I dont really have the same love for PS3/X360 though i like both, they are kinda too alike for me to get all passionate about, iwhen it comes to those two systems its about the games , BUT I will be the first to admit Im a Ninty fanboy and I love Nintendo games, regardless of what stupid thing Nintendo does/did as long as i live I will always buy their latest console to get Zelda, mario kart etc.. Im sure Xbox fan boys feel the same way... you think a little DRM is gonna stop the love of a boy (or girl) and his faceless company NEVER!!!!!

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

By the time the Xbone is actually released, I don't think that there will be any hard decisions to make. MS will have rolled back most of the DRM and used game restrictions by that point, and I also suspect that they will have a Kinect-less bundle ready to go for $399-$449ish.

Unless they're completely stupid.

Edited by Christophero Sly

HAHA! Their one weakness: Not being completely stupid. Windows 8! Windows Vista! Zune! Welcome to completely stupid town.

It'll be $499, with all that restrictive junk. They would have to find some way to explain all the stuff until now, not just to the consumer, but also to their stockholders. The stockholder thing is real hard. "Hey, remember when we said we could only make money selling it for $499, and how the digital rights and always online things were the only way forward. Ha! Yeah. Funny story. We need an extra $200 million to drop the price right now, and we have to advertise real hard how we aren't doing the digital rights thing and always online, because that totally isn't the way forward. Ha. Yeah. Um... please keep our stock because we're totally smart. Okay, now on to how Windows 8 and Surface are performing below expectations."

• Like 4

Okay guys Im gonna say this here and you tell me if you think im crazy. IF PEOPLE ARE WEARY TO BUY THE XBOX ONE BECAUSE OF USED GAME AND OR ALWAYS ON LINE GAMES.. or really anything that has to do with Microsofts controversial policies, MS will simply change their policies. They arent gonna let the system die.

I've heard this elsewhere, and I have to agree: Even if M$ (I like that abbreviation... I'm gonna use it now) does kowtow and get rid of the restrictions they've put in place, the damage has already been done and, what's more, it would now make them look weak if they do so.

I've been contemplating the various scenarios in my head while doing housework and periodically checking in on the interbutts for E3 coverage (day off). Given a year or so's time, XBone users may experience a much smoother, more seamless experience where the "always online" thing actually helps their games run better. On the other hand, this whole automatic update thing could also make developers lazy (or some more than they already are) and rush games onto shelves that aren't even half done (Homefront, anyone?).

Bottom line, apart from the exclusives, when you really think about it, consoles are a means to an end. Your sports games (does anyone at AtariAge still play these?) and your AAA blockbusters will be on all 3 consoles, albeit with a bit different of an experience. As for me, what I liked best about the Xbox 360 -- and what I spent the most amount of time and money on -- was the DLC games. M$ pooped all over their indie developers, and now they're going over to Sony. That's where I'm going too.

• Like 1

Speaking of ships...

For those who don't have an Internet connection--Mattrick brought up an example of a person living on a submarine--he pointed out that the Xbox 360 is not going away anytime soon.

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360," Mattrick said. "If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device."

Or we could all buy PS4s, which work perfectly well with our mobile atomic submarine bases

• Like 2

Speaking of ships...

Or we could all buy PS4s, which work perfectly well with our mobile atomic submarine bases

That ex-EA piece of shit can kiss my ass. I can just get a PS4.

Oh wait I just did.

More bullshit from last month:

http://www.gamepolit...ng#.UbfwZvnqnh4

They were listening.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360," Mattrick said. "If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device."

The Xbox 360 is an offline device? Tell that to the Xbox 360 dashboard, Mat-trick.

I think the new Xbox will sell very well, because there are unfortunately tons and tons of people who don't care one iota about private property, or personal privacy in any way shape or form. People are chomping at the bit to give away their liberty in order to play a damn Call of Duty game. After that Pew poll that shows %56 of Americans don't mind Obama's government spying and tracking EVERYTHING that you do, and there's no exaggeration on that word EVERYTHING, well....I've given up on people having any brains. Just keep the population sedated with Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty, they won't mind that their Xbox is data mining their entire life inside their home, and probably video recording the data straight to the NSA.

• Like 4

Okay guys Im gonna say this here and you tell me if you think im crazy. IF PEOPLE ARE WEARY TO BUY THE XBOX ONE BECAUSE OF USED GAME AND OR ALWAYS ON LINE GAMES.. or really anything that has to do with Microsofts controversial policies, MS will simply change their policies. They arent gonna let the system die. I dont really have the same love for PS3/X360 though i like both, they are kinda too alike for me to get all passionate about, iwhen it comes to those two systems its about the games , BUT I will be the first to admit Im a Ninty fanboy and I love Nintendo games, regardless of what stupid thing Nintendo does/did as long as i live I will always buy their latest console to get Zelda, mario kart etc.. Im sure Xbox fan boys feel the same way... you think a little DRM is gonna stop the love of a boy (or girl) and his faceless company NEVER!!!!!

There isn't a healthy competition. There are only the big three. That is just one away from it being like Democrats versus Republicans and two away from a total monopoly. Like politics, they know they don't have to change their policies to the point of being good. They just have to be the lesser of two evils. People can jump ship back and forth all they want but it won't affect much of anything because they are voting for evil with their dollars with either choice. It's like being tossed back and forth between two demons and hoping that an angel catches you.

First off it's not $100 difference in price. It's only $40 difference. The PS4 camera is NOT included and will cost $60 more making the equivalent system (including the kinect and ps4 camera) $500 and $460 respectively. So stop with the $100 price difference shit!

Interesting, but keep in mind this:

1. The majority of PS4 games are likely not going to need the PS4 camera to function. You do NOT need to buy it unless you really like those few games that'll make use of it.

2. You are forced to use the kinect and it's bundled as a requirement. However based on Microsoft's game presentation at E3, it looks like the majority of Xbone games won't be using the Kinect either. So you're forced to buy it even if the majority of your gaming won't make any use of it. (Think of how the 360 makes use of, or lack thereof, the kinect.)

I'd consider your argument as being meaningful IF you could buy an xbone without a kinect OR if the PS4 camera was REQUIRED for the majority of games on their system. Neither is the case, so the reality of the situation is you have a $399 PS4, and a $499 Xbone.

• Like 3

By the time the Xbone is actually released, I don't think that there will be any hard decisions to make. MS will have rolled back most of the DRM and used game restrictions by that point, and I also suspect that they will have a Kinect-less bundle ready to go for $399-$449ish.

I think M$ will start backpedaling sooner than the release date. I give 'em until August. "We re-evaluated gamers' wants" or some other bullshit marketing phrase will be said.

I think M$ will start backpedaling sooner than the release date. I give 'em until August. "We re-evaluated gamers' wants" or some other bullshit marketing phrase will be said.

You assume too much. Microsoft wants to be like Apple. Apple has always said "Their way or the highway." That is exactly what they are going to tell you. It's the third party game makers that better not cross the like as far as used games/DRM is concerned. They are the ones that will lose money if they add that to their games. Just because it is possible to do doesn't mean the game developers will do it.

I've been contemplating the various scenarios in my head while doing housework and periodically checking in on the interbutts for E3 coverage (day off). Given a year or so's time, XBone users may experience a much smoother, more seamless experience where the "always online" thing actually helps their games run better. On the other hand, this whole automatic update thing could also make developers lazy (or some more than they already are) and rush games onto shelves that aren't even half done (Homefront, anyone?).

I doubt they'll be any more lazy than they are now because I'd be shocked if Microsoft will drop their policy of letting the first patch go out for free and then charging them for every subsequent patch. All the automatic update allows them to do is update your console while you're not using it.