IGNORED

Will the Xbox One become the next CD-i?

With the hassle of playing used games,a mandatory 24 hour online check,$100 more than the PS4 and $200 more than the Wiiu. it;s just like the CD-i, a game system with media capabilities that's destined to fail.Everybody with no internet will have no choice but to go to Nintendo or Sony(loss of money there), and the people who rarely/never buys new games will go to either Nintendo or Sony(loss of money there) so that's a huge loss to them and a profit to Nintendo and Sony.What do you think, Do you think it may succeed or go the way of the CD-i, a game system that promised much but ultimately failed.

post-31091-0-63854400-1371066834_thumb.jpg

The CD-i had the disadvantage that the hardware was really really bad for games. The only thing the hardware was actually good at was FMV, and FMV makes for crappy games. I really doubt Microsoft is skimping on the gaming hardware, so it's not quite analogous. There will be games for this system, and good ones at that. Whether gamers accept the DRM required to play those games is another question.

• Like 1

No, not even close to CDi.

MS has:

Tons of cash

Strong existing fanbase

Track record of good consoles

Strong first party developers

Strong first party franchises

Strong 3rd party relationships (Activision, EA, UbiSoft, etc)

What i mean by becoming the next CD-i i mean lagging in sales compared to the Wiiu and PS4 and the fact that it has media capabilities like the CD-i.

Edited by xDragonWarrior

Every system today has media capabilities like the CD-i, and it's been this way for a very long time. The difference is that the CD-i's primary focus was business, educational and general media industries. It wasn't until later that Philips began focusing stronger on the gaming side of things.

While it won't be "the next CDi," it's certainly going to fall far short of its potential, due to Microsoft restrictions and forced-inclusions. BLAH! I am not even slightly interested at this point, but that could change in a FEW years if they back off. PS4 looks better as of this moment, but WHO KNOWS?

More like New Coke...

-it's not providing the features anyone is asking for in a game system

-it is including tons of features which are to moving away from the M$ flavor everyone is used to

-it is not being well received

-it has strong competition...just waiting in the wings to take away some more of their market share

Chances are, M$ will:

-stand their ground (at least initially)

-release the product to luke warm (if not cold reception)

-backpedal like crazy...offering price breaks while rolling back some of the restrictions

-re-launch the XboxOne as a re-branded Coke Classic Xbox Redux

...that's just my guess! ;)

• Like 2

As much as it pains me to speak ill of my beloved Atari 5200, that's the system this reminds me of. At the moment, the Xbox One is looking a lot like how people view the Atari 5200. Microsoft is following up a very strong console with a successor that is not being well received. It has features that the business departments want, but very little that gamers care much about. And the game allotment is just new ports of the same stuff that has been clogging the market for the past 5 years.

I'm thinking it will be a flop, not an obscurity like the CDi.

But the Xbox One will have tons of advertising behind it, even more than the original Xbox did. People will buy what they're told to.

• Like 2

I still reckon it'll sell by the bucketload at least initially. There's a loyal fan base & as some have said if it has game X I'm in. MS has very deep pockets & will market the $hit out of it. Look how they managed to sell so many kinects! MS has always wanted to be the centre of the living room & they see this console as the key. Whether the rest of agree remains to be seen!

I still reckon it'll sell by the bucketload at least initially. There's a loyal fan base & as some have said if it has game X I'm in. MS has very deep pockets & will market the $hit out of it. Look how they managed to sell so many kinects! MS has always wanted to be the centre of the living room & they see this console as the key. Whether the rest of agree remains to be seen!

If it's released in November, it'll sell well until at least January. Consoles always sell like crazy during the holidays, and speculators will buy them up just trying to turn a quick buck. After the rush is when you'll see the real interest. How many people who bought a One between November and January are going to be buying games for it after February? How many returns will happen because of the DRM?

I fail to see the correlation between CD-i and Xbone.. Except for these upcoming titles!

* Lashback: The Quest for Privacy

* The Lost Rights

* Who Spied Jonnys Rocks?

* Zelda: The Wiretap of Echelon

* The 7th Gag Order

* NSA Instant Replay

* Name That Suspect

* Thought Crime Patrol 2: Data Wars

• Like 3