IGNORED

8-bit game author reviving 1983 game "Dino Eggs"

I'm a little curious about the translation request; do you have a ballpark figure how many words/phrases you need translated? Entire paragraphs of instructions as well? I understand there are plenty of people on this forum with other native tongues than English, so if the amount of text to handle is not excessive, you might find people here (as well from your mailing list) who could help you, if that is a side goal to have the game available in as many languages as possible.

• 1 month later...

Hello, all...

Check out the fresh DINO EGGS: REBIRTH newsletter at http://eepurl.com/budolP

-- Steam Greenlight campaign to begin Monday Aug. 17

-- What are The Secrets of the Time Quartz?

-- What sounds do Baby Dinos make?

-- Language Update: Dino Eggs: Rebirth is now slated to support seven languages

-- All details, more photos, and audio at http://eepurl.com/budolP

post-30217-0-27387500-1439519205_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I've begun my 'memoir' blog on Gamasutra:

In 1976, I took the only computer course I would ever take. I got a “D,” the worst grade I would ever get.

Five years later, I was making my living writing home computer games, and would continue to do so for the next nine years.

You understand –– my story begins before the Internet, before Windows, before Apple.

I've begun my 'memoir' blog on Gamasutra:

Nice!

Likewise a lot of what I learned in my college courses were the proper names for things I'd already figured out on my own. As an example I used linked lists in the BBS software I wrote during high school on my VIC 20, but didn't know they were called that until a few years later in college.

I would probably add a footnote after the price of the tape reel - $20 doesn't sound expensive until you realize that's about $84 today.

I'm proud to say that Part Two of my "memoir" is a Featured Post on Gamasutra:

1981. Many computer games were home-grown and distributed on audio cassette tapes stuffed in plastic sandwich bags with sparse photocopied instructions.

Four years out of college and needing a job, I wondered -- Is anyone making money doing this?

• 2 weeks later...
I was pleased to be a guest on the VGBS Gaming Podcast -- Just posted:

If you don't have time to listen to the whole podcast, you can catch some highlights at these time points:

4:35 -- The challenge of updating a 32-year-old game.

25:00 -- Getting ripped off in the good old days.

29:00 -- Was Dino Eggs the first home computer game to be "modded?"

• Like 1

I'm pleased to see that Part Three of my "memoir" is a Featured Post on Gamasutra:

1982. In writing my first computer game Crisis Mountain, I felt like I was creating a straight-forward variation on Donkey Kong.

In designing my second game, I knew I could do better. But what was better?

:) Yes, Vic George...! My publisher at the time (who commissioned the artwork) agreed with you. He was disturbed by the odd un-masculine "vibe" of the art.

I think he had the artist re-do it a bit (shortened the fingernails or something), but he was too cheap to commission a second piece of art -- at least right away. There was a second piece of box art done later on that was more comical in tone:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UdvHsITCQoJM8j-xJ_c2ydMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Quad,

That's a great way to go. My programmer got started on XNA a few years back, and we stayed on that platform for a variety of reasons. It, too, can port to Android and some other consoles.

I'm hoping we'll have more than one Dino Eggs revival over time. Maybe the next one will be DINO EGGS: RUNNER! and be a 3-D version on Unity...(!)

DE is a game concept that can be "re-imagined" in a wide variety of ways. But, as I blog about in my latest post on Gamasutra, once you begin pulling the threads of a game design that works, the fabric can fall apart pretty quickly.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidHSchroeder/20151113/259287/Labor_of_Love.php

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-30217-0-00242600-1450581200_thumb.jpg

Time Master Tim and his daughter Tam getting into the spirit of the season. They are bearing gifts -- that is, huge stacks of dino eggs -- in Dino Eggs: Rebirth.

Game release on www.dinoeggsrebirth.com on 1/11/2016.

Recent feedback: "I'm having the time of my life with this game and memories from decades ago. Just the right amount of challenging and exactly in the spirit of the original game. Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

• 3 weeks later...
My latest Featured Post on Gamasutra details how "Dino Eggs: Rebirth" expands on the original 8-bit game "Dino Eggs"... with plenty of comparison screen shots.

Snakes, Spiders, Proto-pedes, Eggs, Boulders, Fires, Baby Dinos, Dino Mom, Power Flowers... they're all there.

Dino Eggs: Rebirth​ comes out next Monday January 11 on the game website -- www.DinoEggsRebirth.com

I'm proud as TODAY'S public release of "Dino Eggs: Rebirth" revives my 32-year-old 8-bit game "DIno Eggs" -- a labor of love with oodles of new features, puzzles, and challenges.

The new game just reviewed on the BlackMuzik website: Rated 8 (out of 10). "Dino Eggs created by the great David Schroeder is back to shine on its own." (Translated from the Italian)

www.DinoEggsRebirth.com

Nice! I like that it works with game controllers, I have a couple PS3 controllers paired with the Mac mini that drives my HDTV.

Only minor issue is the buttons in the instructions use A, B, and X while the buttons on the PS3 controller are labeled with symbols. If you make any updates, consider adding an option to specify (or auto-detect) game controller type and adjusting the labels as appropriate. The Playstation controllers (PS3 & PS4) are commonly used with Macs as they work out of the box, no drivers required.

post-3056-0-71108200-1452611217_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-31821900-1452611223_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-01634000-1452611227_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-69021600-1452611230_thumb.jpg