IGNORED

8-bit game author reviving 1983 game "Dino Eggs"

It is, thanks! It was a little tricky though:

Setting Left/Right/Jump/Action/Warp worked as expected, just select the option in the list then hit the appropriate direction or button.

That didn't work for Up/Down though, hitting up/down would always move focus to the option above/below the current one. Instead, had to hit Left/Right repeated using the appropriate control - i.e. left/right using the stick would only select stick directions, while left/right using the d-pad only selected d-pad directions.

Early fan feedback on Dino Eggs: Rebirth -- now on sale at www.dinoeggsrebirth.com

From a review on YouTube: "This is a remake that has been done correctly... Shut up and take my money!"
From a game industry professional: "I've been playing the hell out of the game the past few nights. I'm having a blast with it. It's very clear that a lot of love went into it... I've got only 64 stars and have a LOT more to go."
From a fan in Japan: “Congratulations for successful release !!! Since i played the original Dino Eggs on Apple ][e, i never forget about your game, and great early era of 8-bit computers. I instantly bought and played Dino Eggs: Rebirth and very impressed with the way your game has never changed, in a GOOD WAY. It's easy to start, but hard to master, still, there is no extreme leap of difficulty so as to keep player's motive alive. The play is there.”
Message to our Facebook page: "Congratulations on showing the world what a great remake of an 8 bit masterpiece should look like!"
Edited by David H Schroeder
  • Like 1

Our latest "Dino Eggs: Rebirth" newsletter is full of reviews and quotes from players. http://eepurl.com/bN8rA9

Just got this additional quote:

"Dino Eggs: Rebirth is turning out to be my favorite remake of all time!"

Just posted: My video interview with Legends of TableTop

I had great fun talking about "the good old days" with hosts Leah and Vincent. At time point 1:00:50, I display and narrate my very favorite Silver Age "Superboy" comic book panel!

Just posted: Video review by Defunct Games

"The gameplay is deeper than you might expect... It's the puzzle levels that impress me the most... A number of brain-teasers had me stumped for longer than I care to admit... What looks like a simple time-waster at first glance will ultimately take hours to complete."

• 2 weeks later...

Comparing game screens -- the play area in www.DinoEggsRebirth.com is 188% larger than in the original 1983 "Dino Eggs."

That's 188% more boulders, more eggs, and more time to dodge Dino Mom's foot!

Recent comments about "Dino Eggs: Rebirth" -- "Old-school gaming at its finest" "My favorite remake of all time!"

"What a great remake of an 8-bit masterpiece should look like!"

#screenshotsaturday #indiegames #indiedev

• 3 weeks later...

We got the GREENLIGHT on Steam!

I'm excited to confirm that the revival of my 33-year-old game DINO EGGS: REBIRTH will be released on the game marketplace STEAM.

(Everyone who buys DINO EGGS: REBIRTH -- past, present, and future -- no matter where they buy it -- will also get a STEAM KEY for the game.)

Our Steam release schedule will be announced soon.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! -- To everyone who supported our Steam Greenlight campaign!

• Like 1

Here's a curiosity for Throwback Thursday...

A "Dino-Eggs" for the old Vic 20 computer dated 1984 -- one year after my "Dino Eggs" came out for the Apple II and Commodore 64.

Too many similarities with my game to be a coincidence, but it doesn't seem to be a full-featured copy. In this version, you hop up to grab the Dino Eggs out of the air (!)

I hadn't seen this before. Does anyone else remember it?

#TBT #retrogaming

• 2 months later...

Thanks to David Cameron -- perhaps not the David Cameron you're thinking of -- but the host of the UK's "One Up Gaming" who invited me onto his latest excellent podcast. We chatted about the good old days, "Dino Eggs" and "Dino Eggs: Rebirth."

Update -- www.DinoEggsRebirth.com got the Greenlight, and the new game will be released on Steam on Thursday June 9.

• 2 weeks later...

A delightful review of "Dino Eggs: Rebirth" from a Commodore 64 veteran on the game website Play Nice Play Now:

"A Glorious Return From Extinction... Incredibly satisfying..."

"At six to seven hours in, and with plenty more perfect ratings and achievements to unlock, I can say that for a fan, like myself, playing the classic game mode alone was worth the entry price. David Schroeder and Eric Ferrot have done a supreme job bringing this classic back from the dead for a new generation. It successfully recaptures the feeling of the old Dino Eggs, while adding more to the experience to keep it fresh."

Full Review at: www.playniceplaynow.com/2016/05/20/dino-eggs-rebirth/

Here we are on Steam -- Release date June 9: store.steampowered.com/app/449320/

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say I am impressed and thrilled. Honestly, I never played Dino Eggs. In fact, I never knew what it was until this thread, but I have been playing it via emulation and it is a fun little game, and I will be picking up a copy for my Windows machine. It really is cool to see old classics make a well-done modern come back. Especially after seeing some other games which try the same thing but result in nothing but travesty.

Oh, and from the "Infinity is More Than Ten" article:

because the player’s own joystick movements re-seed my random number generator, it can be said that the player is creating his own game screen as he goes along. He just can’t control the specific results. (The philosophical implications of this are staggering!)

That parenthetical musing caused me to bust a gut because I was thinking the exact same thing right before I read it. Wonderful!

In particular it is honorable that the original author comes back to make an updated version, without first asking for $100,000+ in a Kickstarter campaign. Generally that seems to be the way other people in the same situation do it these days: try to crowdfund an incredible amount and only if it succeeds, go ahead and actually finish the project. In this case it appears David is doing this as much for the love of his game, as for the possible revenue from sales, which probably makes a better game in the end.

• Like 2

In particular it is honorable that the original author comes back to make an updated version, without first asking for $100,000+ in a Kickstarter campaign. Generally that seems to be the way other people in the same situation do it these days: try to crowdfund an incredible amount and only if it succeeds, go ahead and actually finish the project. In this case it appears David is doing this as much for the love of his game, as for the possible revenue from sales, which probably makes a better game in the end.

Skipping crowdfunding demonstrates a love of the game - which makes for a better overall game. And another thing, you can't really force creativity into a schedule dictated by kickstarter.

I'll never pay for a game first and then wait for it to be developed. I wasn't born and raised that way. We paged through catalogs and EGM, got wind of new stuff on TV, and found it for real at Toys'R'Us. I don't recall sending coins out of my piggy bank to Atari in hopes they might make game X.

Very interesting comments, Carlsson and Keatah. I've been encouraged so often to just "do a Kickstarter" -- as if that were a simple and casual thing to do -- but it has never felt natural to me. Perhaps a generational thing.

Yes, it is a cliche to say that my game was "a labor of love" -- but that's truly the case. My efforts at marketing are pained and often painful. But my memories of crafting this expansion of Dino Eggs will always be wonderful ones. To have shared my original vision with someone who was 10 years old when Dino Eggs first came out .... And then to be creative partners with that person in this new game.... That's very special. :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dino Eggs was one of my favorite game on C64 in the 80's.

I played it again with VICE and WinVICE, and a bit later with SD2IEC when I managed to get a working SX-64.

I heard of the Rebirth project as I was seeking some remake of the game : I found one named Dino Legs...

So I decided to get it as soon as it was available ; I don't spend much time playing now, but Dino Eggs is one of these addictive games that you can play regularly for a little while, and I love it !

PS : I just get the 1.1.4.0 on Steam : thank you David !

Edited by 2Ni

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LiqMat

Finally picked up a copy from Humble Bundle. One thing I wish all these throwback games would do, including yours, is throw in a 320x200 resolution mode for old times sake. One game that did this in spades was Syder Arcade from Studio Evil. Not only did they have a low res mode, but almost every screen resolution and color mode simulated from most of the computer platforms of the 80s in their graphics options. One of the coolest graphic option features I have ever seen. I don't know how hard that would be to add a 320x200 graphics mode, but it would be cool. Love the game. Plays perfect and thanks for doing it.

https://youtu.be/pEWiHElVPGM?t=63