IGNORED

NES controller on an Atari 400? has it been done?

J.Ivy

So ive recently picked up at Atari 400 computer, all stock. I will max out the ram, add composite video in the future, but for now I want to do something with the joystick. Ive seen modded nes controllers (using stock atari joystick cords) that worked on nintendos. So I assume that I can do the same mod, or a similar one, so that i can use a nintendo controller to play games with.

Does anyone know if this would work, or have seen it done? I know some people love the old joysticks, but to me they were always a pain.

atari_400.jpg

just for the heck of it, here she is.

But its great to know that the NES conroller mod will work on an old 400, AND my atari 7800. I just need to solder one up some evening and give it a go. I never could stand the ataris joystick.

But its great to know that the NES controller mod will work on an old 400, AND my atari 7800. I just need to solder one up some evening and give it a go. I never could stand the ataris joystick.

The 400 looks clean! The mod is simple, just be sure to remove the NES controller chip and cutting the traces leading to the black resistance connection pads inside. All you need to do is match the button pads of the DPad to the Joystick and both red buttons can be set up as the Atari Fire button.

Have care with a 7800 configuration plugged into the 400, it may play havoc with the paddle detection in the controller port, might fry something?

Have care with a 7800 configuration plugged into the 400, it may play havoc with the paddle detection in the controller port, might fry something?

I've used 7800 controllers (including modded NES controllers) with all of the A8s that I've owned over the years and never had a problem.

So ive recently picked up at Atari 400 computer, all stock. I will max out the ram, add composite video in the future, but for now I want to do something with the joystick. Ive seen modded nes controllers (using stock atari joystick cords) that worked on nintendos. So I assume that I can do the same mod, or a similar one, so that i can use a nintendo controller to play games with.

Does anyone know if this would work, or have seen it done? I know some people love the old joysticks, but to me they were always a pain.

There was an article in ANTIC about adding composite video to the 400, link, and Candle is working on a 400 version of his Incognito upgrade(availabilty unknown).