IGNORED

Spooky Mansion (Early demo)

Rabbit 2600

Here's the first game I'm working with that has multiple sprites. The premise is that you are exploring a mansion full of ghosts.

The 4 ghosts follow you around and if they get you the game ends. There is a magical amulet you can pick up to banish the ghosts from the room. That's about as far as I've come.

At the moment there is only 1 room. I'm experimenting and trying to see if I can get more then 3 rooms. Having a lot of issues with running out of memory

Collision with the walls are still very buggy and so is the amulet, since I'm focusing on the room aspect at the moment so I haven't had time to fix them.

namnloumls_zps0a7d2fa8.png

Demo - default.bas.bin

Oh! Another things is, if you don't actually use the full 11 rows of playfield pixels you can shrink the amount of playfield rows on-screen and use the extra variables for yourself!

http://www.randomter...ldvariablechart

except that the multisprite kernel puts the screen in rom

and probably already uses those extra variables for

extra sprites and stuff

Exciting times. I now fixed the majority of the bugs, and decided to keep the amulet feature and have it make the ghosts dissapear. Added a lightning effect so everything flashes white when the ghosts dissapear. However I encountered a gamebreaking bug I'm not atempting to fix. Once it's fixed an updated demo will be released.

Okay, here's an idea I think is pretty neat. Not only are there ghosts on the levels. But there also might be a skull laying around. I think it was a pretty nice addition. I also added more rooms. Now there are a total of 15 different rooms!

Demo - Spooky Mansion Skull 15 Rooms.bin

Edited by Rabbit 2600

Yes, the amulet is the brown dot. Take it to banish the ghosts and earn points. At the moment the limit for amulets is 5 that you can pick up, above that you don't go to any new rooms. Experimenting with a bossroom at the moment.

Aha, in the next version I'll remove 1 ghost and see if you find it better. Finding a good balance is important =)

Edited by Rabbit 2600

Okay, now there are 3 ghosts instead of 4. And you where absolutely right, 4 ghosts made it too hard. 3 ghosts where much better. Now you have a chance of going out in the rooms to get the amulet. I'm still fiddling with the boss concept. How about this for a concept? - After clearing the house of the ghosts you head for the exit, but oh no! The large ghost who is the lord of the haunted mansion won't let you leave. Banish him and be on your way to the next spooky mansion.

The ghost lord would be at the middle of an enclosed room, moving left and right with an altar behind it. Get to the altar and place the 5 amulets there to banish the ghosts forever. Then you would head on to a new mansion.

Demo - Spooky Mansion 3 Ghosts.bin

Edited by Rabbit 2600