IGNORED

Gaming Firsts...

what was the first game to...

1. ...progress by scrolling to the right?

2. ...not include any kind of score?

3. ...feature screen-wrap-around?

4. ...feature a colorful background?

5. ...use polygons?

6. ...require a special controller?

7. ...be packaged with a special controller?

8. ...be ported from an arcade?

9. ...be ported to an arcade?

etc.

First RPG for a console:Dragon Stomper( the 2600 via Supercharger)

First handheld with touchscreen/internet capabilities: the game.com

First console with downloadable games: the Intellivision via Playcable

First console with online Gaming: the SNES and Genesis via Xband modem

First console with console/handheld incompatibility: the Turboexpress

First handheld/console: Microvision/odyssey

First console with motion controls: The 2600 via Datasoft's Lestick controller( if it dosent count then the XaviXPort)

First killer app for a Videogame: Space Invaders

First console with analog stick: The 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System(yes before the N64 and 5200)

First console with Arcade perfect ports: Neo Geo AES

First console to play other console games: intellivision or Colecovision via System changer/Expansion Module #1

could go on forever

• 1 month later...

First console with console/handheld incompatibility: the Turboexpress

I think you mean compatibility, right? The TurboExpress could play the same Hu card games as the TurboGrafx (Called PCEngine GT and PCEngine respectively in Japan)

Another first for the Turbo was the first to offer a CD-Rom on a home console.

First ported from an arcade was Pong I would guess.

Tennis for Two by William Higinbotham did not have a score on screen. I guess you could keep score manually, though.

Adventure (2600) first game with easter egg

No. There were earlier games for the Channel F that had Easter eggs in them.

First console with Arcade perfect ports: Neo Geo AES

No, it would be the 2600. Most of the early titles were arcade perfect ports of early through mid-70s Atari arcade games.

First ported from an arcade was Pong I would guess.

Technically PONG was an improved port of the Odyssey's Tennis game.

Motorstorm went from a ps3 title to a sequel on ps2--was there an earlier time when that happened? Possible 'first time series dropped backwards to a previous generation console.' Were there any 5200 games with sequels only on 2600?

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

what was the first game to...

1. ...progress by scrolling to the right?

possibly Moon Patrol; it was also one of the earliest games to allow "continues" by inserting yet another quarter

7. ...be packaged with a special controller?

Indy 500 (on the 2600)

1. ...progress by scrolling to the right?..................Arcade Defender?

2. ...not include any kind of score?.......................The Magnavox Odyssey (1972) didn't have on-screen score (You could write it down though).

3. ...feature screen-wrap-around?

4. ...feature a colorful background?

5. ...use polygons?

6. ...require a special controller?........................Racing game controllers (Steering Wheels) or rifles in the arcades

7. ...be packaged with a special controller?.......Magnavox Odyssey (Shooting Gallery (games with rifle))

8. ...be ported from an arcade?..........................Atari arcade Pong to Home Pong

9. ...be ported to an arcade?.............................. Magnavox Odyssey Tennis to Atari arcade Pong (or, according to Carla Meninsky, Warlords)

Edited by high voltage

2. ...not include any kind of score?.......................The Magnavox Odyssey (1972) didn't have on-screen score (You could write it down though).

Tennis for Two didn't have an on-screen score either and was developed in 1958. Or are we just talking about home console games?

The Odyssey is a home console. The very first.

Um. I know. I didn't realise PONG was based on the Odyssey's Tennis game so I looked it up. You were right. Tennis was copied/reverse engineered/ported to Arcade as PONG then PONG ported to PONG clones as home console. Lighten up.

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 1

Um. I know. I didn't realise PONG was based on the Odyssey's Tennis game so I looked it up. You were right. Tennis was copied/reverse engineered/ported to Arcade as PONG then PONG ported to PONG clones as home console. Lighten up.

No, I think you're the one that needs to lighten up or at least read what you wrote. You stated "ported to the arcade from the arcade." That statement is incorrect and does not denote you knowing the Odyssey is a home console or you would have stated "from the home to the arcade." Hence my followup comment trying to explain things further. Your attitude is exactly why I debated coming back here while I'm healing from my car accident. Just not worth it.

No, I think you're the one that needs to lighten up or at least read what you wrote. You stated "ported to the arcade from the arcade." That statement is incorrect and does not denote you knowing the Odyssey is a home console or you would have stated "from the home to the arcade." Hence my followup comment trying to explain things further. Your attitude is exactly why I debated coming back here while I'm healing from my car accident. Just not worth it.

Reread my post a little closer. I said "to the arcade and from the arcade" not "to the arcade from the arcade". There is a difference. I did not say to the arcade from where. I did not say from the arcade to where. I tried to clarify that by saying "Tennis was copied/reverse engineered/ported to Arcade as PONG then PONG ported to PONG clones as home console." If I was still unclear, I apologize. I did know that the Odyssey was a home system, although I did not know the exact dates or timing of releases. That's why I looked it up. The information I found said that Bushnell saw the Ping-Pong demo then went to his engineers and asked them to recreate it or whatever, renaming the resulting arcade machine "PONG". (That's the "to the arcade" or "copied/reverse engineered/ported to arcade".) Then, because of the popularity of the PONG arcade machine, the game was made/ported/copied into a hundred or so PONG clones. (That's the "from the arcade" or "PONG ported to PONG clones" part.) I don't want to fight you, but I don't feel I was necessarily wrong.

• 8 years later...