IGNORED

RXB SAMS Game (In the Dark)

RXB

You can track via screen location or by engine data, the latter of which is preferable for expediency of execution. Set your data up in quadrants and do one or two checks per loop for the PC. A series of IF THEN statements to determine NPC movement can be called once certain criteria are met.

If you're using SPRITEs, CALL LOCATE is your best friend.

As far as "footprints" go, that's a fairly easy one. Check out Dark Maze by Adamantyr for some cool "following" code.

Not using Sprites as most of the work is not going on the screen but in the SAMS memory by CALL PEEKs and CALL LOADs as the Enemy that stalks me is not displayed.

Doing it that way, then moving the entire screen into RAM or from RAM to Screen works much faster then CALL GCHAR or CALL HCHAR.

As many things have changed instantly all at once per the view of the player.

(Also I can then upgrade this to do it with Assembly instead of GPL for the slower parts)

And then you can see the trail disappear but it runs quick that way.

I was just wondering how to track back from a dead end to the last branch it went wrong. It goes back but misses the turns.

I found a listing on how to do it but it is all written in C so making it work in XB is not really helpful.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Think it's my setup tbh, I'm tryin to get this thing running in FIAD mode in Gamebase and it's just not having it.

Ox, Classic99 is set up to recognize, by default, 3 disk folders , DSK1, DSK2 and DSK3 ... this game comes zipped in a folder called DSK5.

So, inzip the game (folder and all) to Classic99 main folder, go into Classic, see that DISKS tab, click that and SET DISK for number 5, set it to FIAD because it will say NONE , as it is not regularly used. Then you have to point it at something (to set it) so click on the file IN THE DARK.

Then, using RXB obviously , type in the load command RUN "DSK5.INTHEDARK"

Ahh just read your trying to get it running in Gamebase .... shit sorry mate, I'm tired I skip-read that bit ... hope you got it sorted ,....

Edited by Retrospect

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if we could get enough people together to do a run of SAMS cards :). (It would be awesome to have more memory, even if it's paged :D).

I suppose, anything is possible. You might want to start a thread and see where it goes. Since my TI is hooked to a Nano-PEB, it's not really an option for me. If I want to do anything that requires a SAMS card, I'll boot up Classic99 as it's built-in and only needs to switched on! (Praise be to Tursi, the CREATOR of Classic99)

Options>Options> "SAMS Support" and click on your option (I picked 1024k)

• Like 1

I got a free AMS card from Asgard to write routines into RXB. Originally received a 128K AMS.

Within a few weeks I replaced the chips in it to make it a 512K AMS.

Then when they came out with the 1Meg SAMS I bought one and sold the 512K AMS to a buddy.

I thought I might write a RXB program that uses Classic99 .DSK pathfile and the SAMS to load almost ANYTHING, Basic, XB, or EA as RXB will run any of them.

Only exceptions are Supercart and Basic with EA support, but I did come out with the Basic EA support built into TI Basic GROMs for people to use in Classic99 or anything else.

Maybe I should upgrade IN THE DARK to Bitmapped Graphics.

• Like 1

Well after all day attempting to use Bit Mapped Mode in RXB I have found it is possible but more effort then it is worth without fully using Assembly instead.

XB is slooow at making the graphics look good so with Bit Mapped Mode Assembly is the only real way to go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Rich, is it normal to see on the intro screen "IN T" instead of "IN THE DARK"? I have tried unzipping the zip file from post #32 and ran it on classic 99 and real iron and get the same result. I also tried downloading the game from TI Game Shelf and extracted the DSK5.ZIP, however, the INTHEDARK file shows as a DOS file not a ti program. What am I doing wrong? I love this game and would like to know that I have a good copy.

Thank you in advance.

post-65819-0-78549000-1552575249_thumb.png

No it is my fault, on a real TI you see IN THE DARK and it does do this as the files load overwriting character definitions.

On Classic99 it is very very brief so this is just my fault, if I had put loading character definition last instead of first this would not be a issue.

But I made last minute changes and should have watched for results.

I am glad to know that I do not have a corrupted copy or something. I really appreciate that you created the game and shared it with us! After getting the SAMS board, I was looking for something to run that would take advantage of it and am so glad that you had this available.

I look forward to your next version not to mention the next version of RXB! I am trying to learn how to use it and it is like drinking from a fire hose! I also appreciate the videos and comments in the forum that explain how RXB can be applied in certain situations.

Thanks again for all of your hard work!

• Like 3

Sorry, but how is this supposed to work?

1190 FOR Z=1 TO 12 :: READ K :: CALL SPRITE(#Z,K,15,29,Z*21) :: NEXT Z :: CALL MAGNIFY(2)

We surely did not forget about the 4 sprite-per-line limitation?

I corrected this in later release, rushed project.

• Like 1