IGNORED

Xbox power brick red light? (Possible Internal Issue)

super_dos_man

My xbox recently stopped powering up. The power "brick" has a red light instead of the usual orange/yellow light. I went to gamestop and replaced the power cord and it worked for about 1 hour and then powered down again and now this power brick has a red light. I tried switiching outlets and it didn't work. What could be wrong with the xbox? I have the original pre-slim 360

If the brick shows red, 99% of the time, it is a bad PSU.

If it is orange or flickering orange and won't power up, check your USB ports...I had a similar problem, where one of the pins in the port somehow got bent. It was touching another piece of metal and created a short of some kind. You can use a flashlight to look inside both USB ports. If one of them looks to be out of sorts, then you may be experiencing the same issue.

If this is in fact the problem, all you have to do is CAREFULLY use tweezers to bend the pin back so it is no longer "grounding out". Once you do this, the Xbox will turn on again. The port will likely no longer work, so you should cover it up with tape, to avoid having similar problems in the future.

This worked for me....I thought for sure my original Xbox was dead. Now, a year later, it is still working perfectly (less one USB port).

If the brick shows red, 99% of the time, it is a bad PSU.

If it is orange or flickering orange and won't power up, check your USB ports...I had a similar problem, where one of the pins in the port somehow got bent. It was touching another piece of metal and created a short of some kind. You can use a flashlight to look inside both USB ports. If one of them looks to be out of sorts, then you may be experiencing the same issue.

If this is in fact the problem, all you have to do is CAREFULLY use tweezers to bend the pin back so it is no longer "grounding out". Once you do this, the Xbox will turn on again. The port will likely no longer work, so you should cover it up with tape, to avoid having similar problems in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K76V0ShX2ow

This worked for me....I thought for sure my original Xbox was dead. Now, a year later, it is still working perfectly (less one USB port).

I checked out the USB ports with a flashlight and everything seems normal, though I do plug in my controller through USB to save on batteries