IGNORED

Sega Master System video Help - oversaturation?

Jeremy Popp

I'm not getting any responses on SegaAge, so I thought I would post here.

Just picked up a 2nd Sega Master System (model 1) at the flea market and I'm having a strange issue. The images on the left are of the "bad" system, and on the right show my other system. As you can see, the colors seem off and/or oversaturated. The difference is actually less noticable than the images would lead you to believe. If I didn't have a second console to compare it to, I would assume that's just how they look.

I've tried various av plugs, composite and RF with the same results. Unit seems to play rather well with no other issues.

I reflowed all the solder joints that are related to video (at least I think). Do some SMS's have different video parts, and maybe this is normal? Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks!

sms1.jpg

sms2t.jpg

sms3.jpg

b1di.jpg

Worn caps? Electrolytic caps do fail without showing obvious sign.

I recently recapped one of my Intellivision that didn't show any visible bad cap but had crappy video. One of the cap had ESR over 10 ohms and 0.086uF (label said 100uF)

Thanks, I wasn't sure if a bad capacitor could lead to this or not... I'm kinda new to electrical engineering, and game repair/modding. I ordered a cap kit, so hopefully that will solve it. Thanks again for the reply.

As things age the tolerances may drift out of spec. Your resistors may still be good, but other components may not.

I just did a dual bios for my SMS1 and since it was open I checked the Chroma resistor. It is a 620 in the SMS, but the datasheet calls for a 1K.

You could try upping resistance on the Chroma or Blue inputs and see what happens. From your pictures it looks like Blue

is main color being overdiven.

Edited by bust3dstr8

I tried doing some more research, and I have a lot of various schematics, but I think this problem is over my head. Thanks for the help - if anyone has any interest in buying it, send me a PM - or maybe I'll give it another try when I've developed my skills more.

A long shot, but check that the power jack is supplying adequate power to the system, and maybe also try the "bad" system with the "good" system's power supply. I had an Atari 7800 that had similar video issues when I tried to use a universal power supply that didn't provide adequate power.

(To those who are suddenly wondering how one can use a universal power supply with a system that has a decidedly non-universal power jack, let's just say it wasn't easy.)

Edited by FujiSkunk

• 2 weeks later...

And the working one? SMSes with the CXA1145 have pretty terrible composite video while the earlier ones with the V7040 are a little better in that regard.

This might actually be the case. I did a test using a different TV - a LCD, and the results are below:

6il1.jpg

Again, left side is "bad" SMS, and right side is my good one. Left side has the sony cxa1145 chip and right has sony v7040. There is almost no difference.

My question then is, if I were to sell or trade my "bad" sms, does it qualify as bad? After this test, I think it's just a matter of different chips on a newer TV. CRT TV's would probably not show a difference either. Thanks!